The Humour Club discussion

Group Reads > Monthly Dose-O-Discworld - The Last Hero

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki | 3497 comments Mod
Fan favorite, Cohen the Barbarian, is on a Last Quest - to climb the highest mountain and meet the gods. Some familiar characters are going to try to stop him.
Mayhem and hilarity will no doubt ensue, as is par for the course in Discworld...but this time...THERE'S PICTURES!

It appears we are in for a treat this month!

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 2420 comments Mod
Oh, yeah!

message 3: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 684 comments Finished it! Was an easy read, very quick.

message 4: by Melki (new)

I can't decide if I should start this next or a 500+ page novel for your challenge...

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Got it today, and started! Not sure I actually like the pictures--I've gotten very used to the images in my own mind.

message 6: by Melki (new)

I'm finding they're actually pretty similar to what I always pictured, particularly Cohen.

My favorite, so far, is Leonard of Quirm in his flying dragon contraption.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Haven't come to Leonard yet. Cohen is okay. The wizards, not so much. And the city doesn't fit my mental map at all.

message 8: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 684 comments I had an electronic version without pictures. Man, I feel like I'm missing out on something good here.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

You are!

I got sidetracked. Will finish soon. . .

message 10: by Melki (new)

Bookworm wrote: "I had an electronic version without pictures. Man, I feel like I'm missing out on something good here."

Oh, poor Worm. I think the pictures really MAKE this book. In fact, the edition I'm reading has 16 pages of all-new illustrations. They ARE something of a distraction, though, and I find I'm probably not paying enough attention to the story...oooo! Shiny pictures!

message 11: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 684 comments Maybe that is why the book is so short? Pictures take up time and space.
That brings up something - I found the writing at parts a little non descript. The prime example was when they land that contraption on the moon. All Pratchett writes is something like, 'they landed'. I'm guessing there is a picture or two that adds to, 'they landed'?

message 12: by Melki (new)

I just read that part today, and, no, that's pretty much it in the picture book, too, though there is a lovely painting of our brave explorers standing on the moon as the Disc and elephant's head come into view.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

It really is less of a story than most, though of course still a hoot. And having Carrot, Rincewind, and Leonard da Quirm (plus the Librarian!) as the team to save the world--well, it's hard to top that!

message 14: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments I love this, not least because I've got the lage format hardback...

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Yeah, I did too. Looks like a coffee table book!

message 16: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments All I need now is a coffee table to go with the book

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

I have a coffee table, but it was hard to find room enough for the book, due to the rather impressive lego display the boys put out on it a few weeks ago.

message 18: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 684 comments Rebecca wrote: "It really is less of a story than most, though of course still a hoot. And having Carrot, Rincewind, and Leonard da Quirm (plus the Librarian!) as the team to save the world--well, it's hard to to..."
And don't forget the Silver Horde!

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

The Silver Horde! But who was that dame they picked up? Were we supposed to recognize her from somewhere?

message 20: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 684 comments I didn't recognize the knitter either.

message 21: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 684 comments So, you think you will still be running around pillaging villages and taking on the gods when you are 80?

I think I'll be wearing a big shade hat, shuffling around the garden, eating beans off the stalk.

message 22: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Come on Bookworm, you need to be more ambitious than that!

message 23: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Bookworm Smith | 684 comments Will wrote: "Come on Bookworm, you need to be more ambitious than that!"

Oh, I thought that was ambitious :)

In a small way, this book made me seriously consider about what I want/expect to be doing when I am 80. I know I don't want to be working in my current job in a little cubicle staring at a computer all day. I want to be outside, working in a field, growing grapes and making wine or something like that.

message 24: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 510 comments Actually then, I apologise. Unreservedly!

message 25: by Melki (new)

I plan on pillaging until I die, though the shade hat sounds like a good idea.