♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

Book/Genre of the Month > American Gods by Neil Gaiman - May 2014 BOTM

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Thoughts on this book?

message 2: by Penny (last edited May 16, 2014 07:54AM) (new)

Penny So far, with 24% completed on Kindle, I'm intrigued enough to keep reading. I think the plot has an interesting premise and I think it has a lot of potential. I'm not really sure how I feel about any of the characters, however. Shadow seems really disconnected from what's going on around him. His emotional responses, when present, seem really blunted and that makes it difficult for me to connect to him.

message 3: by Bloodyhell (new)

Bloodyhell Shadow is exactly like that, a shadow.

message 4: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) I finished this book some time back, in fact even before it was nominated as a BOTM for this group. And to be honest, i found this book extremely fascinating and a brilliant read.

I agree with Fong when he says Shadow is exactly a shadow. However, the way he grows as a person and finds himself at the end of the book makes a delightful read.

The book in itself is full of metaphors, mythology and folklore, which makes it really interesting. Am sure since it is the end of the month, spoilers are allowed and therefore am putting no spoiler alert here. The war between the gods of yesteryears and the gods of today, which is technology was something totally brilliant, according to me.

Who wins or who loses does not really matter for the basis of this story is that everything old must pave way for something new and the cycle continues.

I believe the central theme to this book is that your actions matter on how you shape your life. If you believe something exists then it exists for you and this is a simple yet complicated truth.

The manner in which this book was written really amazed me. Given it was a first Neil Gaiman that I have ever read, i went into it not knowing anything or having any preconceived notions. Maybe because of that or something else I don't know but i found it poetic and lyrical. However, in some parts it was really frustrating, making me want to give up totally... Although I must admit that I am glad that I did not give up and finished the book.

I thought the ending was fantastic and suited the book completely.

message 5: by Bloodyhell (new)

Bloodyhell The fertility goddess cracked me up.

message 6: by Bloodyhell (new)

Bloodyhell Oh and I want the book re-written from Wednesday's POV

message 7: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Srividya wrote: "I finished this book some time back, in fact even before it was nominated as a BOTM for this group. And to be honest, i found this book extremely fascinating and a brilliant read.

I agree with Fon..."

Thanks for the review, Sri:) Am plannin to read this...

message 8: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Fong - Walnut Heart (small, tough, on the wrinkle side) wrote: "The fertility goddess cracked me up."

LOL... true :)

message 9: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Ruchi wrote: "Srividya wrote: "I finished this book some time back, in fact even before it was nominated as a BOTM for this group. And to be honest, i found this book extremely fascinating and a brilliant read.
..."

Do read it Ruchi :)

message 10: by Anuj (new)

Anuj Shrivastava | 472 comments war between new gods and ancient god , a fascinating book , but not that easy to grasp :)

message 11: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Fong - Walnut Heart (small, tough, on the wrinkle side) wrote: "Oh and I want the book re-written from Wednesday's POV"

That would be really interesting Fong.. would know more about how he came to be and stuff like that, which was touched very lightly in this book :)

message 12: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Srividya wrote: "Fong - Walnut Heart (small, tough, on the wrinkle side) wrote: "Oh and I want the book re-written from Wednesday's POV"

That would be really interesting Fong.. would know more about how he came to..."

Yeah, interesting idea! And Sri, I completely agree with your views - the book is DEEP, but rather annoying in some places too. :P

What I've grown to like about Gaiman's writing is that his worlds are almost exactly the same as the real world, with some minor twists and changes, which make them almost terrifying and unknown. (Referring to American Gods, Coraline, and my current read - The Graveyard Book)

message 13: by Bloodyhell (new)

Bloodyhell I want to visit the House on the Rock someday *sighs*

message 14: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Ya Sumit - i know what you mean.. the perception shown in this book vis-a-vis world building is almost too natural and something that you can relate too and yet at the same time it is something that you cannot explain or fathom, making it terrifying as you said.

@Fong - does that exist? thought it was fictional.. Sorry if I sound dumb..

message 15: by Bloodyhell (new)

Bloodyhell No, it is real. Nearly all locations are real.

message 16: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Oh ok.. :)

message 17: by Bloodyhell (new)

Bloodyhell So you can google it now! :)

message 18: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Lolss Fong.. i wish I had thought of it before I asked the stupid question :P :P But then, its always good to be fallible and stupid than remain ignorant :P :P

message 19: by Bloodyhell (new)

Bloodyhell I'm quite glad that it was real though. I found it difficult to imagine the House on the Rock :P:P

message 20: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) I finally got the book. I was on the wait list all last month and just got it. Have started it and am liking it.