Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

May 2014: Hunter's Claim > Romances. *spoilerish*

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Marae Okay... Anyone else a little weirded out by how all the sisters were designated a future love interest? Taylor was all of fifteen!!! And Saber's comments about how 'she needs her ass spanked.' Wooow.
The treatment of 'the females' in this book just made me feel uneasy... Anyone else?

message 2: by Tereza (new)

Tereza Agreed, it feels creepy. The age of the youngest sister especially.

The designated future lover, however, is somewhat of a standard for the author. Having read one more book from the author (a different series) I believe it is a standard development of her stories that of a group of females in book one all have a desinated future lover and their lovestory will have a book of its own.

Cassandra Stryffe | 33 comments Yeah. It was icky. 'Nuff said.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments It was very odd but then also of course they would feel safer about the people who "saved" them? I dunno. It was definitely lame.

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I was just relieved that the lined-up lovers weren't brothers. She seemed like the type of author to pull that shit.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (calijonathan) I haven't gotten to the spanking comment yet but I was definitely disturbed by the whole "we alien species will come to your planet, take your females back to our planet and turn them into brood mares against their will" vibe. I don't care how much the author paints an image of these males as protective and sexy and monogamous. It sounds too much like the sex slave industry.

message 7: by Frakki (last edited May 05, 2014 05:47PM) (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments It didn't bother me how the men tried to treat the females, because the females were having none of it. I liked that.

I've had twenty-plus years of working with men who were sexist. But, just because they try to make you feel like less, doesn't mean you have to let it bother you. You just keep going along demanding respect and they either get on On board or move out of the way. More then not they get on board. Their words mean nothing unless you let it change your behavior.

And as loyal and protective as these Thundercats were towards the sister, the sisters showed those same traits.

Also, in the last book there was a 22 year old falling for a 14 year old. If they were making moves on the girls it would have been creepy. But admiring them doesn't seem terrible. But, enough all ready.

message 8: by Frakki (last edited May 05, 2014 05:52PM) (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments Wow. Slave traders? You are putting to much power into what the men did and ignoring the choices the sisters made. Yes, getting taken from the planet was not a choice, but Jesse could have fought it. She chose to stay with the guy -- hoping they would end up in a better place.

Isn't it just as sexist to ignore the choices these sisters made? Are they to be ignore because they are women?

message 9: by Nemi (last edited May 05, 2014 01:43AM) (new)

Nemi Anybody else bothered by the whole "My seed is my gift to her and she alone is responsible for my happiness" shtick?

Frakki wrote: "Isn't it just as sexist to ignore what choices these sisters made? Are they to be ignore because the are women? "

I am not that far in, about at 31% on my Kindle, but from what I have read so far it feels like Hunter took some very important choices away from Jesse. He doesn't accept her choice to leave for example, I think the quote goes something like "He would never let her escape him again."
Also he binds her to him while she is unable to consent, forcing her into a situation where she is forced to either accept him as her mate or break with the rules of this society that has her and her sister at their "mercy". A lot of Jesse's "choices" are made when she is either terrified, in pain or unconscious and they feel more like her resigning to outside pressure.

I think what bothers me is that the book feels like it's putting massive pressure on Jesse and her sisters just to get them together with the aliens. Whenever Jesse makes her own decisions on Earth it ends in violence, illness and threatened rape. It's like the universe is just going "Yeah, you should just get with that guy. Look what happens when you don't! Independence is dangerous!"

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Marae It's one of those things where Jesse and her sisters don't actually have any choice, just the illusion of it. Jesse wasn't even conscious when they left earth! So now, not only is she married against her will but also removed from her home with no chance of returning. Even if she had fought it what would that have done? Oh would they have turned the ship around just because she wanted to go home? I don't think so.

message 11: by Frakki (last edited May 05, 2014 05:54PM) (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments After the sister left the compound and met yet another rape gang, Jesse told Hunter to take her sisters with him and went off alone to die. The second oldest sister sent Hunter after Jesse, saying she's not use to asking for help -- which they really did need. Prior to that, he had to claim her as Amate to get the sister into the alien compound for medical treatment. If he didn't, the two oldest sisters would have died, leaving the youngest alone.

That does not sound like slave trading to me, or "me man, you baby maker." Yes, it was clear they were chauvinistic in their attitudes, but it was Jesse and her sisters who made their own choices. They chose to go with them and make the best of it. I don't find them weak for trying to find a better life.

message 12: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments And yes, if this was not a romance novel and she did not fall in lust/love with the Thundercat, he might not of let her go. Or, maybe he would have. He could have sent her back on a different ship. They sisters were rather crafty. They could have slipped away. Who knows, Hunter and Jesse could have had the first tattoo removing in the history of the Thundercats world.

But, she did fall in love and accepted his sperm. So, the results are as much on her as it is on him.

message 13: by Joia (new)

Joia | 12 comments Frakki wrote: "the first tattoo removing in the history of the Thundercats world ..."

Soda up the nose.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Marae Frakki wrote: "After the sister left the compound and met yet another rape gang, Jesse told Hunter to take her sisters with him and went off alone to die. The second oldest sister sent Hunter after Jesse, saying ..."

I stand corrected, I forgot about that part. >.<

message 15: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments Hannah wrote: "Frakki wrote: "After the sister left the compound and met yet another rape gang, Jesse told Hunter to take her sisters with him and went off alone to die. The second oldest sister sent Hunter after..."

I forgot about the line where Hunter said "I'll never let her go." Very pigheaded ownership speak. but, I put it down to him already having fallen for her and justifying it with his cultural norms. Still, not cool.

I hope they do two more books for each of the other sisters. I see the youngest sister starting a radical feminist movement and causing all kinds of trouble.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 12 comments I was also creeped out by Taylor being paired off at 15. That was completely unnecessary. If she wants to write a Taylor/Saber romance, wait until she's older.

As for Jesse and her choices or lack thereof, I must admit that I didn't really see her as a person after the first 2 or 3 chapters. She was written too poorly (flat with almost no personality). It was like she was there as a vehicle to make the events and romance happen.

I felt too disconnected from the story and characters to feel personally offended for Jesse. It was more like a "Wow, is this actually happening?", "What? They're already in love when most of their time together has been when she's been unconscious?", "Wow, they sure like to tell their women what to do!" etc

message 17: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Lauren wrote: "I was also creeped out by Taylor being paired off at 15. That was completely unnecessary. If she wants to write a Taylor/Saber romance, wait until she's older.
..."

ehm.... twilight....

message 18: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 221 comments The Taylor/Saber thing weirder me out a bit too, especially the way he REPEATEDLY said she needed her ass spanked. It was creepy enough the first time, why did he keep repeating it? Can't he think of any other inappropriate comments to make?

Also I think Taylor continually calling Saber an old fuddy-duddy kept making me picture him as way older than he was which made it all the more creepy.

message 19: by Dianna (new)

Dianna (diaja_la) I'm betting Taylor/Saber's romance will happen at least five years after the events in Hunter's Claim.
I'd love it if Taylor does turn into some kind of feminist hero, but it's far more likely that her 'wildness' will be a source of friction, and it will be Saber's job to 'tame' her.
Their romantic conflict will be Saber coming to accept Taylor as a grown woman (one he'll still infantilise, but: he needs to no longer think of her as a child before he can call her baby).

message 20: by Donald (new)

Donald Bailey (donizready) | 2 comments OK.