Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Sex Criminals: Volume One: One Weird Trick
This topic is about Sex Criminals
Group Monthly Discussions > 29th Book Club Discussion: Sex Criminals, Volume 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction - May 2014

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the topic for our Official 29th Book Club Discussion, which is as addressed above.

The discussion will occur during this whole month of May 2014.

If your post will contain spoilers, then please type SPOILERS in capital letters at the top of your post (or use the html code for spoilers) so that members who are still reading or have not yet read the book can avoid critical details that can spoil their reading.

Enjoy our official book club discussion everyone.

Meran | 115 comments I'm having problems finding this book locally, so have given up and ordered it from bn.com.
Will be joining the discussion at that time :)

Kurt Rocourt (krocourt) I wasn't sure what I was going to get out of this book. I ended up finding it very charming. Its a fun book more than anything. Its a book that you could share with a friend who wants to read a comic about people who don't wear spandex costumes. That said, there are people with spandex costumes in the book. I plan on buying the next volume when its available to see what happens to these characters.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ann Let me ask what may be a question with a really obvious answer...how explicit is this book? I work at a library where the graphic novels and manga are all in the teen room and we have a limited budget, so if it's super explicit I'd like it to be A-really popular B-really important/high literary content or unique message or C-both. Anyone have an opinion on this book in those contexts? We have GNs like Saga and Locke & Key which are doing well...

Albert (albertic0) | 31 comments Rebecca wrote: "Let me ask what may be a question with a really obvious answer...how explicit is this book? I work at a library where the graphic novels and manga are all in the teen room and we have a limited bu..."

It is very explicit. I wouldn't recommend this title in the Teen section at all. BUT, adults out there... should really check this out --- fun read

Andrew (mr_andrew_c) Rebecca wrote: "how explicit is this book?"

This is way more explicit than Saga (which as you know starts out with a woman giving birth and spewing profanity). The whole time-stopping aspect is fun, but I don't think it fits into your "really important/high literary content or unique message" category. I'd be surprised to see it in my public library.

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Quixote (samquixote) LOVED IT! So original and fun and talks about and depicts sex so naturally. That censored singalong - have you ever seen anything like that in a comic?

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Corto Maltese | 78 comments It was ok. Even ok enough, that I plan to read vol. 2. While there are really funny situations, I still get the impression (a bit) that Fraction had a hillarious idea for a story-concept, but didnt really know, what to do with it. To this point, I don't really get why Matt Fraction is supposed to be that good a writer. I can't be bothered to pick up Hawkeye vol 2, for example and I hesitate to pick up Casanova.

message 9: by David (new)

David Merrill | 38 comments Corto wrote: "It was ok. Even ok enough, that I plan to read vol. 2. While there are really funny situations, I still get the impression (a bit) that Fraction had a hillarious idea for a story-concept, but didnt..."

I feel the same way about Fraction. I don't really understand why he's so popular. Sex Criminals, I suppose, is a daring book, but I come away feeling like so much more could be done with the concept. In the first five issues, I felt there was a fair amount of retread and the story or concept could have been advanced more.

That said, the letters section is quite large (I read the floppies) and it creates a discussion forum that is unique and gives an opportunity to discuss things you probably won't see anywhere else in print, when it isn't devolving into a gutter.

message 10: by Drew (new) - rated it 1 star

Drew (drewoo) I really disliked this book. I didn't find the characters 'charming', just annoying, and their actions seemed very contrived.

The premise was interesting for about 2 seconds, but no premise is good with bad execution. The conflict (I won't say what the conflict is, as that's a potential spoiler) was awkwardly interjected.

I guess the things that people loved about this comic were simply not for me. I didn't find the censored karaoke scene clever; I've seen that kind of fourth-wall breaking down in more interesting ways in the past.

I struggled to read this. In it's defense, I did enjoy writing a review about it. It's unfortunate that I'm totally disinterested in, what seems to be, the big comic event so far this year.

Jodie Corto wrote: "It was ok. Even ok enough, that I plan to read vol. 2. While there are really funny situations, I still get the impression (a bit) that Fraction had a hillarious idea for a story-concept, but didnt..."

Pretty much feeling the same. I'm not super excited about the next volume but I'll definitely pick it up.
For me I find the main two characters less interesting and enjoyed the opposing characters more.
I'm hopeful about where the story goes but I'll just have to wait and see.

message 12: by Koen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Koen Claeys (koenclaeys) This book was so much fun ! Loved it !