Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward
This topic is about Criminal, Vol. 1
Group Monthly Discussions > Optional Book Club Discussion: Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward by Ed Brubaker - May 2014

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Optional Book Club Discussion: Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward by Ed Brubaker - May 2014

There are 3 optional book discussions for May 2014. (This is due to the fact that Umbrella Academy Vol. 1 which finished 2nd in the polls had been previously been in the book discussion two years ago, and Fatale Vol. 1 and Criminal Vol. 1 was tied for third place).

This is the topic for our second optional Book Club Discussion for May 2014, which is as addressed above.

If your post will contain spoilers, then please type SPOILERS in capital letters at the top of your post (or use the html code for spoilers) so that members who are still reading or have not yet read the book can avoid critical details that can spoil their reading.

Enjoy our optional book club discussion everyone.

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Quixote (samquixote) I really dug this - out of the many Brubaker/Phillips collaborations (Sleeper, Criminal, Fatale, Incognito) I found this series to be the best. Great start to the series!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Corto Maltese | 78 comments If you are into crime-noir, ths is simply as good as it gets.

message 4: by David (new)

David Merrill | 38 comments I have to admit, I still read most everything in floppy format, rather than trade. Were the end articles on various classic noir writers and characters included in the trade edition? If not, you may want to chase down the floppies if you're really into noir fiction.

I got into Brubaker while he was on Captain America, so I got in on the ground floor of Criminal. Definitely enjoyed the whole run.

Drew (drewoo) Corto wrote: "If you are into crime-noir, ths is simply as good as it gets."

I think that's a fair review of the book. Unfortunately (for me atleast) it didn't go beyond the crime-noir genre. I like books that do something unexpected, but this book seemed to do the things I've seen on the big-screen dozens of times before, although done expertly. It's only essential reading for fans of the genre, ultimately.