Natchez Burning (Penn Cage, #4) Natchez Burning discussion

Absolutely fantastic book

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa I agree, I was privileged enough to receive an ARC of this book from the publisher and gave it 5 stars. I reviewed it here on GR.

Polly Krize I also agree, an exceptional book...now I need to find the other "Penn" books!

Paul This is Iles' best book since the first Penn Cage novel, 'The Quiet Game'. I also gave it five stars. Despite the length (800 pages) I read this book in less than a week.

Trena I,too, finished the book quickly. I could not put it down. One of the best books I've read recently. The Quiet Game was good but this was great! His other books are very good also. Good writer!

Betsy Boo Am I the only one who noticed the plot error in this book? Can anyone tell me how Henry had a laptop in the beginning of the book (Shad's office) and towards the end had to go to his car for hard-drive backup he bought from Wal-Mart 'cause he didn't have a laptop?

Sandra Betsy wrote: "Am I the only one who noticed the plot error in this book? Can anyone tell me how Henry had a laptop in the beginning of the book (Shad's office) and towards the end had to go to his car for hard-d..."

I didn't notice that! Now it's going to bother me! Great book, I have loved all of his Penn Cage novels.

Betsy Boo It bothered me too! Especially because I loved the book.

message 8: by Kahlil (new)

Kahlil Hernandez Wow, getting lots of mixed reviews on this, I'm not sure I want to spend my $20 on this one.

Sally Super good! You just know it will be a movie.

Darren Martin Totally loved it! 5 stars!

message 11: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Kahlil wrote: "Wow, getting lots of mixed reviews on this, I'm not sure I want to spend my $20 on this one."

If I was going to buy only one of the last five books I've read, it would be this one.

Mysticpt I'm not sure where u are seeing lots of mixed reviews. this book has a 4.24 rating here and as you all know, that is rarified air for a book with the # of ratings it has. i cannot wait for the next one!

Laurie I love Greg Iles' books! I did like this story but I personally though it could be a bit shorter. Maybe take out about 100 or so pages. I still recommend it though!

Matthew Laurie wrote: "I love Greg Iles' books! I did like this story but I personally though it could be a bit shorter. Maybe take out about 100 or so pages. I still recommend it though!"

Yes, it could certainly have been more concise. However, despite the fact that I don't typically read "thrillers" or what have you, I was enthralled by this book. It is certainly more "literary" than many in the genre, and the history is interesting.

message 15: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee I don't know why but I struggled through this book. It had a great basis for a good story but it missed the flow, and probably will not read the next one. I have read Greg Iles books before and the reviews make me get this one through the library. Sorry but I did not like it.

Pauline Turk I loved this book and could not put it down. This was the first book I've read by Greg Iles and I'm making a point to read all of them. Excellent.

Jeffery Lee Radatz I also enjoyed this book! I gave it 5-stars. Of the 3 or so books of his I have read, I really enjoyed them! This one was no exception! Truly a good book from beginning to end!

Kennette Bryant I didn't like this as much as the author's previous book. Perhaps I am a bit tired of his violence. It has become too ugly and evil, and there is too much of it in the book. I wold have preferred if he had stuck to the story and intensified the mystery.

Karen I loved this book as I love (almost) all of Greg Iles' books. The way he describes the scenes and the overall setting takes me away to another world.
I know it is a bit long and boring at times, but I'm able to scan over these parts and keep going.

Laurie I loved the book!!

message 21: by Mila (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mila I liked it, but I became increasingly annoyed with its patriarchal overtone and was a bit disturbed by the stereotypical portrayal of black female sexuality.

Antonia Dee wrote: "I don't know why but I struggled through this book. It had a great basis for a good story but it missed the flow, and probably will not read the next one. I have read Greg Iles books before and th..."

Dee: You hit the nail on the head. I liked the book well enough to finish it, but, you're right; it lacked flow and it also was very predictable and a little stereotypical of racist characters and black women. I think Faulkner did a better job with that. I probably won't read the next one. Grisham does a better job with this type of do good, well meaning Southerner trying to fight the historic evils of the South.