The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood #12) The King discussion

Very disappointed. Quite predictable in places

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Jun 28, 2014 09:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Okay, I'm confused.. Did you like or hate this book? The 1st sentence in your comment contradicts the rest of it.

I hated and loved this book. It was a hard read for me. There were many things that I felt were anti-climactic as well, and I don't feel this book was worth the long wait. But what I loved did trump my dislike, but I still wish so much that alot of things went another way with this one.

ETA: 6/28/14
Okay that's weird... I just noticed the original poster who started this thread, deleted their comment, rather than answer the question I asked. O_o

Donna If she'd spent more time on Wrath and Beth and less time on the oh so predictable subplots/sequel bait, it would have been a much better book. Hell, 100 more pages of Wrath would have made it epic. This was a convoluted mess.

message 3: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 06, 2014 04:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Donna wrote: "If she'd spent more time on Wrath and Beth and less time on the oh so predictable subplots/sequel bait, it would have been a much better book. Hell, 100 more pages of Wrath would have made it epic...."

Yeah, I haven't been too crazy about the UF format she's been using these past few books, for this PNR series. More often than not it doesn't work. What's interesting and odd to me, is that she's obviously switched the series from PNR to more of a UF venue, but she has taken out the most important aspect of Uf, the action. There has been no real balls to the wall action in the BDB for a long while concerning their enemies. She's been keeping things more internal than external for awhile, which is fine, but it's unbalanced with so many stories/subplots present in one book.

Which in turn takes the focus from the main characters in each book in many ways. I really miss her old formula of writing these books. Wish she hadn't changed it.

Teresa Spooner Too much thrown into one book. The book became scrappy. Shame because the Wrath story was great even if confusing when going into the past.

Kira I enjoyed the book, but I liked the last book more. My favorite parts of this book were actually Assail and Solo.

message 6: by Marion (new)

Marion Carlzon I hated the abrupt change from a King who emphatically and categorically throughout the series says no way, never a baby, to a King who says...oh..ok. Woo hoo! Too forced on the reader. I hated the no Qhuay. I hated Assail and Sola. I liked that I could fast forward several pages and skip the shit I didn't like. And I defo, abso, love that I'm not dying for the next book. Yay!

message 7: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 08, 2014 02:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I'm glad there was no Qhuay here. I'm Qhuayed out. I need a break from them. But I need a break from Assail & Sola too.

message 8: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee My favourite part was Assail & Sola, in fact I read their story in total
before everything else as it was quite a stand alone storyline.
I then went back and read the rest of it in order,although I found the
Wrath & parents looking back tale boring will read it at a later date.
I also liked the Layla & Xcor story as well as the twins/Selena story

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Lee wrote: "My favourite part was Assail & Sola, in fact I read their story in total
before everything else as it was quite a stand alone storyline.
I then went back and read the rest of it in order,although ..."

Hate Assail & Sola. They've gotten way too much page time in the past 2 books. And they were really out of place here in the King. Loved Xcor & Layla in LaL, but they were barely in the King. I hated how their scenes played out. But I love them. Loved The Flash backs with Wrath's parents. Love Trez/Selena/iAm/ Shadows plot.. Was underwhelmed by the overall Beth/Wrath/Throne plot. It left alot to be desired for me. And how the throne thing was settled was very anti-climactic for me. Especially Xcor's stance on it as well.

message 10: by Shaye (last edited May 09, 2014 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shaye I was disappointed also. Assail and Sola made the book for me. Love their chemistry. Completely hate Layla. Xcor is useless. Looking forward to the return of the virgin scribe. I miss her. Want more Zadist and Phury. I also liked the flashbacks to Wrath's parents. Please fix Wraths's eyes :)

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I have been wanting more Phury since reading his book. Didn't get much of him in his own book either. Book 6 was so long ago. We more than need an in depth Phury update.

message 12: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ wrote: "Hate Assail & Sola. They've gotten way too much page time in the past 2 books. And they were really out of place here in the King. Loved Xcor & Layla in LaL, but they were barely in the King. I hated how their scenes played out. But I love them. Loved The Flash backs with Wrath's parents. Love Trez/Selena/iAm/ Shadows plot.. Was underwhelmed by the overall Beth/Wrath/Throne plot. It left alot to be desired for me. And how the throne thing was settled was very anti-climactic for me. Especially Xcor's stance on it as well. ."

I thought the whole throne thing was not as I expected as well,
given that there was a time line of at least six months in the book.
I thought that Xcor`s views on the whole thing were largly ignored
including the Band of Bastards thoughts on the matter.

I had kind of thought that they were in some way financed by the
Glymera. As they had come over from the old country someone had
to be funding their stay ? Not that I think they may lack
their own funds, but its been vague as to why or how they came
to be in the States in the first place
I also had it in mind there would be more of a battle for the the throne
as in a big fight especially as Layla accidently gave way their location.

Now thanks to Assails drug dealings with the Lessers they
may have made enough money to seriously take on Wrath & co,
thats not going to put him in too good a place with everyone.
Perhaps we will get a good fight after all in the next book.

message 13: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 10, 2014 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Hopefully we will Lee, I really want someone to beat Assail's butt. I have lost all manner of respect for him cos of his dealing with the Lessers. As I said before, I understand why he would want to stay clear of the politics of their race concerning Wrath/Brotherhood/Throne.. but how can he possibly justify being in business & ultimately funding his race's enemies to continue the war with his race? When that came about I was seriously off of him. Maybe he can be redeemed, maybe he can't. But at this point I don't care to see his redemption or HEA until he has suffered a much needed a** beating & groveling period for his choices in the matter. Plus, just not feelin him & Sola. They're boring to me.

message 14: by Mochaspresso (last edited May 11, 2014 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mochaspresso I don't remember.....does Assail actually know and fully understand exactly what lessers are?

Even if he does, Wrath has to bare some of the blame for that situation as well because he granted Assail permission to carry on with his drug dealing activities. Wrath didn't care as long as it "appeared" to stay in the human world.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Of course he knows, he's a vampire. The Lessers have been killing them since they've existed for centuries. They are the natural enemies of the Vamps. Every Vampire, civilian and otherwise knows what a Lesser is and it's purpose... I don't see how Wrath could be blamed for that either, "keeping it in the human world" doesn't equate to dealing with Lessers. By dealing with their race's enemy he is directly helping to fund their enemies cause in the war against the Vamps. Rehv was a drug dealer, but he did in fact leave it in the Human world. He never dealt drugs with Lessers.

Mochaspresso ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ wrote: "Of course he knows, he's a vampire. The Lessers have been killing them since they've existed for centuries. They are the natural enemies of the Vamps. Every Vampire, civilian and otherwise knows wh..."

Totally true....but does he know how organized the lessers are and that they are using the drug money to finance the attacks on the vampires? I got the impression that Assail thinks that he is just selling to a couple of street punks and isn't thinking or caring about where the drugs or the money ultimately end up. Truth be told, I don't think that Rhev cared much about the lessers either until he got caught in the raid on the clinic. Human patrons were being recruited for the lessening society in his clubs all along. That why the Brotherhood used to hang out in his clubs for leads on the lessers. They were all missing the bigger picture, imo.

message 17: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 11, 2014 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Yeah, but they're Vamps.. They know when they are dealing with Lessers.. They can smell them. So whether Assail was in the dark about their drug dealing before, he certainly knows now, and that still didn't stop him from doing business with them. Assail is a business man, it doesn't take much to figure out that a war needs funds, right? So if the Lessers are dealing in drugs, what are they using the money for?.. We know that they don't eat, have sex.. They have no basic living needs anymore. So why would they be selling drugs? And if they have survived all these centuries, basically putting the Vamps in seclusion as far as safety goes, u gotta know they are pretty organized.

Rehv only sold to humans as far as the drugs went. No he didn't have a stake in the war concerning the Lessers til recently, but he still didn't deal with them either when it came to business.

The Brotherhood would be at the club a lot, but mainly as a quick break/unwind thing in between hunting. But the club was also in the area where they would hunt Lessers frequently as far as the city goes. They weren't looking for Lessers per se, in the club.

Lessers tend to stay away from humans as well, unless they are recruiting & now, cos they deal drugs. The main rule that the Lessers & Vamps always follow though, is to keep the humans out of their world as much as possible. Less opportunity for discovery of their species & war etc..

message 18: by Donna (new) - rated it 1 star

Donna And again why I am done. The fact that you are all trying to justify Assail's behavior just shows how far down the writing has fallen. The main rule of the Lesser/Vampire war is that they kill each other on sight. There isn't a vampire alive that doesn't know what a lesser is or could mistake them for anything bur what they are. Old or new they stink. She has no respect for the continuity of her world building. It's just poor authorship.

message 19: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 11, 2014 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Donna wrote: "And again why I am done. The fact that you are all trying to justify Assail's behavior just shows how far down the writing has fallen. The main rule of the Lesser/Vampire war is that they kill each..."

I'm not defending or justifying his behavior at all. I am ticked at him for dealing with the Lessers, it's a big reason why I don't care for Assail & his story line. Based on what the Lessers are to the Vamps, I don't believe for a second that Assail was never aware of them, their organization and just how resourceful they can be. They are the Vamps main & natural enemy. They were created to destroy the vamps. So no, I don't buy that he's not aware either. Cos over the course of this series, it's always been clear who the Vamps & Lessers are to each other, and just how long they have been at war with one another.

I don't think Ward is changing the structure of the series regarding this issue with the Lessers & Assail, this time though. I just think she wrote him as a Vamp who has no pride in his Race. He just cares for the dollar and therefore will deal with anyone who can help him achieve that. And this is why I don't like him

Mochaspresso Donna wrote: "And again why I am done. The fact that you are all trying to justify Assail's behavior just shows how far down the writing has fallen. The main rule of the Lesser/Vampire war is that they kill each..."

I don't think Princess Nhya was trying to justify him at all. She's made it quite clear that she doesn't care for him as a character. I, however, do have a bit of a soft spot for him because he reminds me a little of Rhevenge, whose book happens to be my fav of the series. I went back and re-read some of Lover at Last and it seems that Assail was actually aware of the fact that his buyers were lessers and didn't care as long as there was money to be made in the process. However, there was one line on pg 325 where Assail says that he's not particularly well versed in the ways of the Lessening Society. I was wondering whether he knew or ever stopped to consider what the money would ultimately be used for.

Wrath didn't consider any of this either when he gave Assail permission to operate. I think that they are all going to have to rethink their position on drug dealing at some point in this series. It's impossible to just keep it in the human world the way that they claim to want to.

message 21: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 11, 2014 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I use to like Assail, til he started the dealings with the Lessers. Now, he's just a coke-head bastard to me. I want him to suffer. That sweet spot I once held for him, is hard as stone now. It's gonna take a lot for him to get back in my good graces. Maybe. And the way Ward has been writing lately, I seriously doubt she'll be able to accomplish this.

ETA: I love Rehv, but his "moral code" if you will, was far removed from where Assail's currently stands. So he doesn't remind me of Rehv at all. they're very different individuals. IMO, he's not half the male that Rehv is. The only thing that they have that's similar, is that Assail holds the same occupation that Rehv once held.

Kathryn Ya'll are going in hard on Assail and I totally agree. Assail & Sola add absolutely NOTHING to the ongoing BDB story. Ms. Ward needs to get back to the basics of this series which is the Brother's fighting, f**king, and falling hard for their one true love's. There is enough drama available and she created an interesting enough sub-plot with the Xcor/Layla BOB plot.

I figured out the Xcor is indeed Thorments brother and that little diddy is important due to the fact that Thor is the only Brother that can kill him by royal decree. Stop adding all the unnecessary bulls**t and get back to what made the series golden.

I don't like the Xcor/Layla HEA but since she's spent so much time on it I want to see how it happens. All I know is that the little heifer better not endanger Qhuinn's young in the process. As far as I'm concerned, and this is mean, Layla can die while giving birth (since Ward seems to like to kill or seriously damage females during childbirth) and when Xcor finds out he can kill himself or go get killed so they can be together.

Assail doesn't hold a candle to Rhev and never will. He can disappear too. Sorry for the rant. ;)

message 23: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 11, 2014 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Bwaaahhaaha!
I agree, except I love my Xcor. Be nice to him. He's sensitive *giggles*

And I like Layla too. She's been dissed for the whole of the series by the males. She deserves some happiness.

Kathryn ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ wrote: "Bwaaahhaaha!
I agree, except I love my Xcor. Be nice to him. He's sensitive *giggles*

And I like Layla too. She's been dissed for the whole of the series by the males. She deserves some happiness."

Well, I sorta liked Layla but since she has now given away the damn location of the compound and offered herself while pregnant to Xcor I'm not to sure about her.

message 25: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 11, 2014 04:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Yeah but she's trying to rectify things the only way she knows how, I think. I mean she's offering herself in exchange for Wrath & the Brotherhood. She thinks she's helping with the whole king/throne business. We can't really fault her cos she's naïve in her devotion to them. Plus she figures, I like Xcor, he likes me, maybe this will help my chances even more with "saving" my King and avoiding bloodshed.

Mochaspresso Aw. Poor Assail gets no love. He demonstrated that he had a soft spot with how he treated Sola and her Mom. I just wish that he had more motivation for what he was doing in the drug business besides a love of money. Rhevenge had financial obligations and we got background info on him and on what made him tick. We didn't get that with Assail. At least, not yet.

I have high hopes for Layla. Her storyline could go either way. She either holds the power to stop the BDB feud with the BOB or she can be spark that ignites a full blown war. I wasn't impressed with her offering up herself to Xcor, though. Some sacrifice. Offering yourself to a guy that you already have a huge crush on and I feel like Xcor deserves love. Not a settlement or an arrangement.

message 27: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 12, 2014 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Yeah but I don't really see it as a settlement due to the fact that we've had clear set up with Xcor and Layla. They have strong feelings for each other, but their places in their world is what's keeping them apart... I feel like this arrangement of sorts, is what's gonna really get the ball rolling with them. Forcing them to come to terms with their feelings & actually doing something about it. Not just pinning for each other. But I agree, it could go either way. Blow up big time with BDB and BoB , or bring them together..

Kathryn Well, I can just see it now. Qhuinn will go ape sh*t trying to protect Layla thereby pissing of Blay and causing some friction. Another hand to hand between Xcor and Qhuinn would be awesome to see. Maybe Xcor gets injured and they have to take him to the clinic where V & Thor have to be held back and somehow Butch or Manny notice the striking resemblance between Xcor and Thor. etc etc blah blah.

Everything then comes to a head. She is setting Throe up to be the new bad guy and take over the BOB, so then some type of showdown between Throe & Xcor will take place. Thor will step in to save his Brother blah blah.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I'm guessing that's pretty close, Kathryn. LOL

YelleOh Donna wrote: "If she'd spent more time on Wrath and Beth and less time on the oh so predictable subplots/sequel bait, it would have been a much better book. Hell, 100 more pages of Wrath would have made it epic...."

Me? I DNF/ed at about 65% of the book I was suffering from motion sickness and the mixing in of other characters like Assail & Sola and Trez & Selena et al...in this book. I was expecting more on Wrath & Beth hence the title "The King" but there were so many fillers that the story was kinda convoluted and somewhat--well in my opinion, having the secondary characters more exposure than the main characters from what the title implies. Can't the Warden make them their own books instead? rather than mixing them in and having more airtime? So frustrating!

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Firefly wrote: well in my opinion, having the secondary characters more exposure than the main characters from what the title implies. Can't the Warden make them their own books instead? rather than mixing them in and having more airtime? So frustrating! "

That's what I've been sayin since she switched to this new format of writing these books. She's been doing it for awhile now, so I have no hope it's gonna change. But I do miss her old formula in how she use to write this series.

Shaye Lee wrote: " ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ wrote: "Hate Assail & Sola. They've gotten way too much page time in the past 2 books. And they were really out of place here in the King. Loved Xcor & Layla in LaL, but they w..."

Lee, The Band of Bastards came to the states because there were no more Lessers to fight in the old world. The lessers weren't in this last book at all. I was expecting some fighting but it wouldn't have been right for the Elite brotherhood to kill the bastards. They should really join forces since the brotherhood needs fighters.

Shaye Kathryn wrote: "Well, I can just see it now. Qhuinn will go ape sh*t trying to protect Layla thereby pissing of Blay and causing some friction. Another hand to hand between Xcor and Qhuinn would be awesome to see..."

Who is Thor?

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Shaye wrote: Who is Thor?

It was misspelled. Tohr/Tohrment, is one of the original Brothers. The one who lost his Shellan Wellsie, in book 3, but got another chance at happiness in his own book, Lover Reborn, Book 10.

Shaye I love Tohr. I was just making sure I hadn't missed a new character in the last book. I wouldn't want Xcor and Tohr to be related. I would love to see Throe join the brotherhood.

Delia I love all of her books and I enjoyed reading the King. I also like the format of how she's been writing the books. Adding characters and taking them away. IMO it's how you keep a series interesting and alive. Some characters I like and other characters I don't like, but she can't make everyone happy with her writing choices. I'm looking forward eventually to the Scribe Virgin and The Omega having more book time, sooner or later they will have a showdown, and I look forward to that.

message 37: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited May 13, 2014 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Shaye wrote: "I love Tohr. I was just making sure I hadn't missed a new character in the last book. I wouldn't want Xcor and Tohr to be related. I would love to see Throe join the brotherhood."

They are related though... I figured this out when I read LUnL, when the BoB was introduced.. Ward finally confirmed it recently, but many had already figured this out or had their suspicions about it.

Considering what Ward did in The King, concerning Xcor & Throe, it looks like Throe is now being set up to be the bad guy by Ward. I have a feeling its gonna be a major stand off with Throe & Xcor if this happens. Would love to see this. They have so much history together & such a complicated relationship. No doubt their face off would be epic, brutal & heartbreaking.

Chelsea Kathryn wrote: "Well, I sorta liked Layla but since she has now given away the damn location of the compound and offered herself while pregnant to Xcor I'm not to sure about her. "

She didn't really give it away by herself; Phury and Qhuinn were with her when the location was discovered by Xcor (in chapter thirty-six of book 11 Xcor follows them back after they visit Havers' clinic.)

And though she had strong feelings of attraction for Xcor, she informed on him to the Brotherhood.

Where were the hints that Xcor and Tohr are related? That completely escaped my notice. I want to go back and reread those parts.

A. Cook Chelsea wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Well, I sorta liked Layla but since she has now given away the damn location of the compound and offered herself while pregnant to Xcor I'm not to sure about her. "

She didn't real..."

Hi. I kind of agree about Kayla ... she has betrayed the Brotherhood by meeting with Xcor. Hello, she betrayed Qhuinn by meeting with Xcor. She put his ... their child in danger just by getting more involved with Xcor. The reason Xcor is so cool with her pregnancy at the moment is because he doesn't have a clue who the father is.

Also, I do not recall Xcor being related to Tohr.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Many speculated the relation with Xcor and Tohr in LUnL when the BoB came on the scene, myself included. With Ward's constant references about Xcor's physical features concerning hair and eyes in that book. They're identical to Tohr's. Plus as the book progresses u find out that the Bloodletter is in fact not Xcor's father as he was led to believe all these years. U add that to what u learned about Tohr's father in LM, that in fact he was a whore, who sired many children, peasant and high of stature alike. ... Tohr and Xcor do not have the same mother though.

Then u consider what happened in Tohr's book that it was decreed that only he would be allowed to kill Xcor for his assault on Wrath. Why only Tohr? Every member in the Brotherhood has a right to take Xcor out right? Then this decree that was laid down, was mentioned again in Qhuinn's book. As an obvious plot device/ reminder of what's to come.

Then Ward finally admits recently, I believe at her last book signing or the one before that, due to all the speculations and clues she has left since LUnL, that Xcor and Tohr are in fact brothers. It just has yet to be revealed to Tohr, Xcor, and the Brotherhood.

Kathryn Angie wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Well, I sorta liked Layla but since she has now given away the damn location of the compound and offered herself while pregnant to Xcor I'm not to sure about her. "
..."

In the King he practically walks her to the front door, that's why I said she gave away the location. When she found him climbing up the mountain she should have called someone (Qhuinn) for example instead she goes and promises that he can have her if he stops going after the throne. I see that Ms. Ward is trying to find some type of redemption for Xcor so that he and Layla can have their HEA.

What is going to be funny, is when Xcor gets injured and has to be treated in the Brotherhood's medical facility and all the Brother's are there armed and chomping at the bit to kill him, Manny or Jane will comment how much he looks like Tohr.

Princess Nhya, Tohr asked Wrath when Wrath was trying to say thank you for saving him, when he woke up after surgery back at the compound. Tohr asked JM to come in and witness it and that's when Beth suggested that Qhuinn be inducted into the brotherhood.

message 42: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Jun 29, 2014 04:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ ?????? @ Kathryn, I wasn't talkin about anyone being inducted into the Brotherhood. I was talkin about Xcor and Tohr's relation and the fact that Wrath decreed that only Tohr could kill Xcor....

ETA: Wait, I get u now.. I think. LOL but I don't remember Tohr asking Wrath could he kill Xcor, if he did though, Wrath as King would still need to decree this as a law of sorts for the Brotherhood so no other Brother could take Xcor out. Which he did.

Dhfan4life Kathryn wrote: "Angie wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Well, I sorta liked Layla but since she has now given away the damn location of the compound and offered herself while pregnant to Xcor I'm not to sure..."

Actually I think X would have eventually figured it out(where the compound was). Since he was able to track her since that time she initially fed him for Throe. Beyond all that, I'm shipping Xcor and Layla even harder. I mean it has been several books since Ward gave Layla any happiness other than agreeing to share a baby with Qhuinn. Beyond that, she and other chosen have been select feed bags and mostly pretty birds in cages to the BDB. Not much life or anything in the way of finding their own mates at all. So I cheer Layla on for doing whatever she will to get with her man. I'm sure if things had been written a little differently I'm sure I could have seen Bella, Marissa, etc. doing something similar if their stories were written another way. Heck it nearly would have been that way particularly for Marissa if Wrath had gotten with the program.

message 44: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Jun 29, 2014 05:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Yeah I don't blame Layla either, cos it was a series of events based on circumstance that led to Xcor finding out where the compound was. Events & circumstances that NEVER would have happened had the Brotherhood been up front with Layla about who Throe/BoB actually were, when they asked her to come feed Throe at the compound.

Layla didn't simply say "Oh hey Xcor, this is where the King & the Brotherhood live. Come and see"

As conflicted as Layla is about her feelings for Xcor, every decision she has had to make has always landed on the side of her King & the Brotherhood. Her way of life. Especially when she found out who Xcor & his brothers were.

But I want her happiness too, she has been put aside way too many times over the course of this series. All she really wants is to find someone who truly loves & adores her & who she can love and adore in return... And yeah her baby Daddy Qhuinn, & her "New Man" Xcor are going to have some MAJOR issues, to say the least, when each others' identities come out, but whatever.

I totally understand why Q would not be on board with this, but at the same time he's gonna have to just deal with it & come to terms with it. Somehow. Cos at the end of the day, he wanted a baby with Layla but not a relationship. As ironic as who her "man" turned out to be and all that entails, it's still a situation of...

Well ur just gonna have to man up and deal with it, cos I'm not just gonna be a mother to our child and watch u ride off into the sunset with ur man, and not have any kind of happiness of my own outside of Motherhood... It's not my fault that who i want that happiness with, turned out to be ur enemy.

Dhfan4life Couldn't have said it better Princess Nhya. The real kicker for me though is the fact that Serena/Selena, (whatever that other chosen's name is that feeds em and was going after Trez. Totally spacing on her name right now), seemed to have gotten even MORE play and response once she went after her chosen guy. Even though she was barely a fully fleshed out character til the King and the previous book. And yet Layla was STILL left trying to figure out some kind of way to even say she needed to go to the doctor. And then doing so ALONE. To me, if that doesn't say this 1 chick needs some happiness and some hellren support of her own. I really don't know what does.

Chelsea ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ wrote: "Yeah I don't blame Layla either, cos it was a series of events based on circumstance that led to Xcor finding out where the compound was. Events & circumstances that NEVER would have happened had ..."

Haha, the first thing that immediately popped into my head is the scene where Phury finds out that Layla is pregnant by Qhuinn (in Lover at Last) and throws him against the wall. Layla goes apeshit and threatens to murder Phury in his bed if any harm befalls Qhuinn. Qhuinn mentally comments that:

"Then again, if you wanted to survive doing the work they did, accurate risk assessment was something you developed early--and even Qhuinn, who was the object of the protective instinct the Chosen was rocking, wouldn't have dared touch her."

I think that if Xcor becomes the object of that protective instinct, Qhuinn would find a way to get on board with the idea of Layla and Xcor being together. and fast. Besides, Qhuinn isn't a bad guy. He went through enough suffering and pain before he and Blay managed to get together to know how horrible it feels to not be with the one you love, so he wouldn't want Layla to have to feel that way.

Kathryn ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ wrote: "?????? @ Kathryn, I wasn't talkin about anyone being inducted into the Brotherhood. I was talkin about Xcor and Tohr's relation and the fact that Wrath decreed that only Tohr could kill Xcor....

..."

In my Kindle it's location 7027 (62%) " As Tohr thought s**t over, that grinding in his gut tightened to an unbearable level. " You said you owed me a favor--=well, this is what I want. I want Xcor's death to be at my hands and no one else's." etc, etc

After they agree Tohr goes out to get JM to witness and that's when he tells what Qhuinn did. Anyway, Layla does deserve happiness but not at the expense of the BDB or she and Q's baby.

That's why Xcor is going to have to get beat down by Throe or someone and end up in the medical bay and then miraculously Jane or Manny will see the "uncanny" resemblance between Tohr and Xcor and then s**t will get tricky after that. ;)

message 48: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Jun 29, 2014 09:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Ok.. thanks sis for posting that scene with Tohr :)

Chelsea I interpreted that scene differently. I thought it was more a factor of Tohr being responsible for protecting Wrath when Wrath got shot by Xcor, so Tohr felt as if he had failed his king. That was why he wanted to be the one to kill Xcor. In Lover Reborn Chapter Forty-Four it says:

Wrath: "Look, I've been shot at before--"
Tohr: "And it's not happening again. Not on my watch."

That's why I thought Tohr wanted to be the one to kill Xcor; because he had shot Wrath on Tohr's "watch." I don't remember offhand the descriptions of Tohr or Xcor, but their similarities didn't jump out at me during reading the series.

In Lover Reborn, they refer to Xcor as being "son of an unknown sire", but aren't the Chosen looking into their seeing bowls and recording the history of the race? If Xcor and Tohr are both sons of Hharm wouldn't they have recorded Xcor's being Hharm's progeny? Especially since Hharm was a member of the BDB and therefore of utmost importance to the history of the race?

Kathryn Chelsea, when Layla feeds Xcor she describes his eyes and they sound like the same color as Tohrments.

But, there was also some foreshadowing in JM's book. When Darius first saw Tohr with his dad, he said specifically that Hharm was basically a known womanizer and had several bastard children, but that Tohr was the only one that had a mother from an appropriate bloodline.

« previous 1 3