Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Today's Google Icon is ______!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) http://www.google.com/logos/comic-con...

SQUEE! That's soo cool!! For Comic Con 2009 in San Diego. Has anyone gone before? How is it?

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not a big Google corporation fan, but I do enjoy their ability to create great icons with their name.

message 3: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) *nodnods* The artwork for their logo makes me squee some days. Like TODAY!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I do like today's logo - very nice! Justice League Headquarters has a new sponsor, I guess.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments I love google, and as a comic book nerd, I heart the icon.

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm still the only nerd on the planet that hasn't made a pilgrimage to Comic-Con. Looks like I won't make it this year, either.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Comic-Con would overwhelm me. But in a good way.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've been to AggieCon several times, and Tex Trek. Does that count?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

If it makes you feel better it does.

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Gus - I've never made said pligrimage. One day. One daaaaay.

If you could go to CC, would anyone dress up? If so, what's the costume?

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Tanja wrote: "Gus - I've never made said pligrimage. One day. One daaaaay.

If you could go to CC, would anyone dress up? If so, what's the costume? "

Of course! You can't half ass a CC. I'd go as Rogue. I'd have to die my hair though, or get a wig, as I'm a red-head.

message 13: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Which Rogue version? Movie or comic?

I might go as Meltdown (Boom-Boom, Boomer). I'm too self-conscious to attempt those bikini outfits (even though I'm encouraged to)!

Or an older Supergirl :P

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Comic version. :)

message 15: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) <3 Heather
Rogue's my fav X-Men.

If I could sew, I had thought about transferring Marvel X-Men pages to fabric and constructing an awesome outfit!

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Mine too...

My sewing skills are minimal at best. But I sketch, and my best friend sews, so I have faith that we could combine skills and come up with something awesome.

message 17: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments I would dress up as Hal Jordan era Green Lantern.

Nice pics Sherri. Do you know what the story was with the guy's furry Capt. America costume?

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments He looks like a pinata.

message 19: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I think I saw furry Captain America! ...actually I did at Dragoncon! I'm not sure about going this year.

message 20: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm not a hardcore cosplayer, so I may just don an old Starfleet uniform, a la Captain Kirk's yellow shirt. I may even talk my wife into dressing as an Enterprise crew member, sporting a beehive and thigh-high boots.

message 21: by Cosmic Sher (last edited Aug 07, 2009 02:15AM) (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I would love to go sometime and actually see the convention cause it sounds like a riot. I went to a scifi/fantasy writers con in Seattle one year, and actually got to sit on a panel of judges for short stories, as well as get to read some of my stuff... but I missed the entire main convention due to repeated Murphy's Law antics. Stupid Murphy!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Today's google icon is the meteor showers!

message 23: by Knarik (new)

Knarik it is beautiful, as if from a fairytale.

message 24: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (renfrew) Today's "Google Doodle" is Galileo's telescope. In addition to Google staff entries, Google hosts a Doodle contest each year.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Today's Google Doodle is in honor of Jules Verne's birthday, and it is AWESOME. I just spent ten minutes toggling around it.

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Where do you see this?

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments google.com, Sally.

message 28: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I saw it this morning but didn't realize what it was till you explained it just now, Sarah. I just went back and tried the interactive stuff--really is pretty neat what they've done with the navigation feature.

message 29: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Eeeeeeeeeee I saw a narwhal and found treasure!

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

I went to see and it looks like the view out submarine windows.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Perhaps I need to rephrase? Today's Google Doodle is in honor of Jules Verne's birthday, and it is an AWESOME example of a Google Doodle. I just spent ten minutes toggling around it. I like it because it's interactive and there's a narwhal.

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

What? What is a google doodle? how does one toggle?
I'm very very confused now. NARWHAL? Is that an acronym?

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments A google doodle is one of the special icons that they commission to commemorate certain anniversaries, holidays, etc. It's always their logo redone in another style, reminiscent of something to do with the holiday, anniversary, etc. They are often clever, but rarely interactive. I said "toggle" because I thought people would start getting crass if I said I liked playing with the joystick, but if you play with the joystick to the right of the submarine window, you can look around underwater.

These are narwhals:

message 34: by Jammies (new)

Jammies www.google.com

See how the letters in the word Google are made into pictures? That is the Google Doodle.

The joystick on the right hand side of the page is an interactive bit and moving it up or down is toggling.

If you toggle down far enough, you can see neat things out the sub windows, including a horned fish called a narwhal.

message 35: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) It's not as fun as the Pacman one from last year but it was a nice distraction.

message 36: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Sarah, for the same reason you avoided the phrase "playing with the joystick," I avoided "horny fish."

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jammies wrote: "Sarah, for the same reason you avoided the phrase "playing with the joystick," I avoided "horny fish.""

So for those keeping score, you can play with your joystick to find the horny fish.

message 38: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I've been around Comic Con when it was here in Long Beach. Seeing all the costumes was fun, and watching all the civilian tourists gawk at them was even funnier.

message 39: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Sarah Pi wrote: "Jammies wrote: "Sarah, for the same reason you avoided the phrase "playing with the joystick," I avoided "horny fish.""

So for those keeping score, you can play with your joystick to find the horny fish."

More precisely, you can play with the knob on your joystick to find the horny fish.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Aynge wrote: "I've been around Comic Con when it was here in Long Beach. Seeing all the costumes was fun, and watching all the civilian tourists gawk at them was even funnier."

Yeah, I like gawking at the gawkers during Otakon and the Kinetic Sculpture Race. The only two times I found myself gawking were 1)when the inner harbor was overrun with middleaged people in frilly dress (turned out to be a square dance convention) and 2)when my aunt's car was hit by Space Ghost (during Otakon - and please note that he hit her, not the other way around)

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Today's google doodle is a Calder mobile. You can push it in different directions and it will spin with proper physics. Very cool!

message 42: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I loved the peas on Wednesday(?) for Mendel!

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Were they interactive? I didn't have time to check.

message 44: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
I can't remember, but the peas were cool.

message 45: by Phil (last edited Jul 22, 2011 07:15PM) (new)

Phil | 11694 comments LG likes a cool pea.

message 46: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I can't make the mobile move. :(

message 47: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Immobile mobile.

message 48: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I love this: Google Doodles You'll Never See

And today's Doodle is in honor of Jorge Luis Borge.

message 49: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments "Google celebrates Chinese internet censorship" Ha.

I like the Borges doodle, though just looking at it I never would have guessed who it was honoring.

message 50: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Really? I'm not seeing that on Google.

« previous 1