Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > May 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 367 (367 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3591 comments After an hour, I gave up on The Fault in Our Stars, so have moved on to the first book in a cozy series: Grace Under Pressure - not sure what I think of it yet.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I started Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway earlier this week. I've paused it because Valour and Vanity was released on Tuesday. It's written and read by Mary Robinette Kowal. I'm officially hooked on the series. I'll be finishing it Thursday, then I'll go back to Angelmaker.

Once I'm finished, I'll have a couple of weeks to work on my backlog before the next Dresden Files novel comes out.

message 3: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 439 comments I finished The Blind Watchmaker, by Richard Dawkins. The first two-thirds was excellent as always. The final third started off as a discussion about common misconceptions about evolutionary theory, but morphed into descriptions of various squabbles in the professional biology research areas of the time the book was written.

Still worth the read, and Dawkins' and Ward's narration was excellent as always.

Now reading The Ebb Tide by James Blaylock.

HBJ

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue | 240 comments I should finish A Constellation of Vital Phenomena today or tomorrow. I can't express how much I love this book and while I know the book would be phenomenal in any format, I think Colette Whitaker's narration on the audiobook is fantastic. I will be sad to let this one go.

I'm 1/3rd of the way through Thirty Girls and am eager to keep reading but not yet sure what I think of it, if that makes sense.

message 5: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments I finished an Off-the-Back-Shelves book, The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey. I've read and re-read it over the years since its publication, but I'd never listened to the story. As talented as Dick Hill is as a narrator, I didn't find that the audio format added a lot to the story, but perhaps that's just because I know it so well.

I started Wyrd Sisters, in the Witches series of Discworld books from the amazing Terry Pratchett. Celia Imre is doing a good job, but I wonder how Stephen Briggs (who now does all the books) would sound.

message 6: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments John wrote: "After an hour, I gave up on The Fault in Our Stars, so have moved on to the first book in a cozy series: Grace Under Pressure - not sure what I think of it yet."

What was the problem with The Fault in Our Stars? I have that in my TBR list, and I know it's been well-reviewed.

message 7: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3591 comments Most folks love it. I loathed the girl's best friend right off the bat, and found the plot hard to accept. For what it's worth, I also disliked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which others rave about.

message 8: by Fran (new)

Fran Wilkins | 537 comments Sue wrote: "I should finish A Constellation of Vital Phenomena today or tomorrow. I can't express how much I love this book and while I know the book would be phenomenal in any format, I think ..."

I'm 1/2 way through reading it! I think I would really enjoy it in audio.

message 9: by Kristie (last edited May 01, 2014 03:20PM) (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments A Town Like Alice was good. Kind of a mix of love story, a semi-accurate history lesson (at least in terms of the part of the story that took place in Malaya...a similar event happened in Sumatra, but not Malaya), and community development 101. Don't remember the narrator (got it from the library), but he was quite good.

Now I'm diving into The Persimmon Tree. About an hour in, and so far so good.

message 10: by CatBookMom (last edited May 01, 2014 03:24PM) (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Kristie wrote: "A Town Like Alice was good. Kind of a mix of love story, a semi-accurate history lesson (at least in terms of the part of the story that took place in Malaya...

Now I'm diving into The Persimmon Tree. About an hour in, and so far so good. ."

Good to know about The Persimmon Tree. After the discussion and comments earlier (April), I picked it up as my 4th April book yesterday. Hoping the $10 shows up without hassle.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue | 240 comments I finished it this evening and am now ruined for other books, for awhile, at least. This will be a good time to catch up on Mad Men and House of Cards. Anyway, While I loved the audiobook, I may have to buy a print copy so I can underline the hell out of it.

What really blows my mind about this book, apart from the absolutely breathtaking writing, is that it was written by a 28 year old from Chevy Chase, MD, a B student in school, who developed in interest in Chechnya after studying Russian in college and who only went there for the first time many, many years after the conflicts he writes so gut-wrenchingly about, were over. He is a polymath in the way that Donna Tartt is a polymath, and both of them, in addition to knowing so much about so many things, are also able to capture, so precisely and so remarkably, the emotional depth of every character they imagine, from the smallest child to the oldest man and everyone in between.

Fran wrote: "Sue wrote: "I should finish A Constellation of Vital Phenomena today or tomorrow. I can't express how much I love this book and while I know the book would be phenomenal in any form..."

message 12: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Sue wrote: "I should finish A Constellation of Vital Phenomena today or tomorrow. I can't express how much I love this book and while I know the book would be phenomenal in any format, I think ..."

Thanks for sharing that Sue. I hadn't really taken notice of it before, but after reading the description tonight due to your post, I've added it to my wishlist. Sounds great.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 295 comments I finished The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. I enjoyed this more than Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and Adams' narration of the book was very good, from a character who had been punched in the nose to bellowing Norse gods. I had this and Dirk Gently's in my TBR pile for at least 3 years, nice to be through some dusty-shelf-ers.

Now listening to Rings, Swords, and Monsters: Exploring Fantasy Literature which has also been in my TBR pile for a few years.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1486 comments Javasapien wrote: "Sue wrote: "I should finish A Constellation of Vital Phenomena today or tomorrow. I can't express how much I love this book and while I know the book would be phenomenal in any form..."

I also added it - the line isn't too bad at my library only 26ppl and 3 copies - I have reserved books that had a lot longer wait...haha!

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1486 comments almost done with Dreams of Gods & Monsters, next up is Chill Factor

message 16: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Javasapien wrote: "Sue wrote: "I should finish A Constellation of Vital Phenomena today or tomorrow. I can't express how much I love this book and while I know the book would be phenomenal in any form..."

I think I'll add this to my next round of library book pickups, too. Love this group!

message 17: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3138 comments Kelly wrote: "I finished The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. I enjoyed this more than Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and Adams' narration of the book was very good, from a character who had..."

I loved Rings, Swords, and Monsters. Then again, I'm a Prof. Michael D. C. Drout fangirl. I think being a fangirl of a college professor qualifies me as Biggest Nerd of the Year.

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 245 comments I finally got the last part of The Fiery Cross and should get that one finished up next week. Am still feeling like I'm just slugging through it? Not as enjoyable for me as the others have been....

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (marcher08) | 112 comments Finished The Dream Thieves. A decent YA series but the real draw for me is Will Patton's narration. Top notch! Started The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America today. I hope this one goes well. Not only is it a book that many people have recommended to me, it is also narrated by Scott Brick who seems to get great reviews here. Looking forward to it.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1486 comments Nancy wrote: "I finally got the last part of The Fiery Cross and should get that one finished up next week. Am still feeling like I'm just slugging through it? Not as enjoyable for me as the other..."

TFC was a struggle for me - I think because its more the day in, day out...rather than the on the go of the previous books - if that makes sense

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 295 comments Jeanie wrote: "I loved Rings, Swords, and Monsters. Then again, I'm a Prof. Michael D. C. Drout fangirl. I think being a fangirl of a college professor qualifies me as Biggest Nerd of the Year. "

That is seriously nerdy. I love it. :) I'm not sure why I even got this book, except I love The Modern Scholar series. I was probably hoping it'd help me appreciate fantasy literate, a genre I have a hard time getting into.

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 163 comments Finished Life of Pi. It was like waiting hours in a super long line at Disneyland for a 3 minute ride. The "thrill" at the end wasn't worth the long wait.

message 23: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1920 comments Finished Heirs and Gracesby Rhys Bowen narrated by Katherine Kellgren, there were parts that were so hilarious I was laughing so hard while driving down the road other drivers must have thought I'd lost my mind!

Now listening to Suspect by Robert Crais narrated by, MacLeod Andrews

message 24: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 543 comments Started The Last Lion 1: Visions of Glory 1874-1932 and while I can't recall having issues with Frederick Davidson in other books his narration is annoying me a bit. I find the book a bit confusing as well. It jumps around telling of church hill family history. Which Winston are they talking about now? I hate that.

message 25: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3591 comments I'm a big David Case fan, too, but there were one or two books where I felt someone else would've done a better job.

message 26: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Librarian (ellenlibrarian) | 67 comments Kristie wrote: "A Town Like Alice was good. Kind of a mix of love story, a semi-accurate history lesson (at least in terms of the part of the story that took place in Malaya...a similar event happene..."

I liked A Town Like Alice, too. I found it refreshingly sweet, unlike most fiction today. The Persimmon Tree is in my TBR pile, so I'll be interested in your reaction.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments I'm giving up on Super Sad True Love Story. It's reminding me of A Visit from the Goon Squad. A bunch of emotionally immature people who interact with people on their electronic devices who if they actually 'talk' to another person, call it 'verballing'. Jesus. Who cares? Kind of weirdly fascinating though. Proceeding with the next Walt Longmire: A Serpent's Tooth which at least has the perk of being narrated by George Guidall!

message 28: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Catherine wrote: "Finished Life of Pi. It was like waiting hours in a super long line at Disneyland for a 3 minute ride. The "thrill" at the end wasn't worth the long wait."

Love this. Thanks.

message 29: by J. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (new)

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 720 comments Listening to MHI book one. Gonna try to shoot through the series before book five drops. I'll have to stop after this book long enough to listen to The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw and Steadfast, two series installments I've been anxiously awaiting.

message 30: by Shell (new)

Shell J. wrote: "Listening to MHI book one. Gonna try to shoot through the series before book five drops. I'll have to stop after this book long enough to listen to [book:The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw|1833426..."

Ohhh didn't realize the League of Princes Book 3 was out. Good thing I have credits soon!

message 31: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 683 comments Hunchback wrote: "I finished The Blind Watchmaker, by Richard Dawkins. The first two-thirds was excellent as always. The final third started off as a discussion about common misconceptions about evolutionary theory,..."

I like Dawkins. I read (not listened) to the "The Ancestor's Tale". It was good and tedious at the same time. I listened to Dawkins read "The God Delusion" and I liked it a lot. I think I got it in one of the audible sales. That's when I get a lot of nonfiction.

I have actually met Richard Dawkins. He was at "The Amazing Meeting" which is a skeptics convention held yearly in Las Vegas. Nice guy.

message 32: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 683 comments Catherine wrote: "Finished Life of Pi. It was like waiting hours in a super long line at Disneyland for a 3 minute ride. The "thrill" at the end wasn't worth the long wait."

I gotta give a big AMEN to that review. There is a thread on the most over rated books. I suggested Pi in my response to that thread.

message 33: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 683 comments I am supposed to be listing to "12 Years a Slave". However, things are not good at work these days and stress is high. So I don't think I could give it proper attention. I think maybe I will shelve it and dive into something easy to digest - maybe I will jump back onto Suki Stackhouse.

message 34: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 439 comments Bill, I'm a constant reader of Dawkins as well, and enjoy his audiobooks particularly. I've listened to most of them, I think - The Selfish Gene, The Greatest Show on Earth, The God Delusion, the Ancestors Tale (abr.), River out of Eden (abr, I think) and one other I can't recall - Unweaving the Rainbow, maybe.

I've read The Ancestors Tale and Climbing Mount Improbable in book form. I wish there were an audiobook of the latter.

Fantastic that you met him! I hope to do so one day, even if just at a signing.

HBJ

message 35: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 163 comments I would like to thank those who mentioned Jeremy Irons in the favorite narrator thread, found James and the Giant Peach ready to download thru my library. Even though I've read it a zillion times it was a treat to listen to something short and fun after an icky work week.

message 36: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments I've finished the following recently:
Orphan Train - this was very good

Two Daniel Silva Gabriel Allon books: (I've already read the 5th - 9th but then went back to earlier ones when I found I could get them through my library.)

The English Assassin - o.k. Didn't enjoy as much as later ones. Might be partly because I'm used to Phil Gigante as the narrator and this was John Lee. I generally like John Lee (loved him in Follet's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End) but it took a long time before I could quit feeling like he wasn't the right voice for this. I finally did get over it.

The Confessor - This one was good.

Now I'm a couple hours into CyberStorm and enjoying it a lot so far.

message 37: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3591 comments Catherine wrote: "I would like to thank those who mentioned Jeremy Irons in the favorite narrator thread, found James and the Giant Peach ready to download thru my library. Even though I've read it a zi..."

That was our third grade class play; I was the spider.

message 38: by Janice (last edited May 03, 2014 10:01PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 922 comments I finished The Way of Shadows. I did't enjoy it as much as I had hoped I would. It was okay, and if the next two books come up on a BOGO sale, I'll pick them up. I'm not sure I'd spend a whole credit on them, though. How's that for sitting on the fence?

Next up is Brimstone.

ETA - changed my mind. Next up is Tiger's Curse that will count for a challenge in another group.

message 39: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 922 comments It's a good thing that it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, because I decided to read Spider Woman's Daughter instead. I'll be starting it today.

message 40: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 946 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Finished Life of Pi. It was like waiting hours in a super long line at Disneyland for a 3 minute ride. The "thrill" at the end wasn't worth the long wait."

Love this..."

I liked the ride but hated the end!

message 41: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments Janice wrote: "It's a good thing that it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, because I decided to read Spider Woman's Daughter instead. I'll be starting it today."

You sound like me.

message 42: by Lilmissmolly (new)

Lilmissmolly | 83 comments CatBookMom wrote: "John wrote: "After an hour, I gave up on The Fault in Our Stars, so have moved on to the first book in a cozy series: Grace Under Pressure - not sure what I think of ..."

I loved the audio version of The Fault in our Stars. It's one of those rare books that sticks with you due to the emotional toll that it takes on you. I'm in the mood for one of these books about once a year, but I'm always glad I listened afterwards. I still think about the book and I listened to it almost a year ago!

message 43: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3591 comments I disliked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time as well, which many rave about.

message 44: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 439 comments Finished The Ebb Tide by Blaylock. Not a bad addition to the Langdon St. Ives series, but neither St. Ives not Narbondo figure prominently in this short adventure.

Now listening to Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain, read by the author. This is a monthly Kindle deal on Amazon, with a Whispersync deal in the audio. It's good, if you like Bourdain's irreverent (and probably less than completely genuine) style.

HBJ

Tensy (bookdoyen) (tensy) | 72 comments Just finished listening to Steelheart Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson . Definitely geared to YA boys fiction. I almost gave up on it several times, but persisted. Audio narration is good, but I am way past enjoying YA fiction and thought this was straight up sci-fi. Reads more like a comic book.

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (marcher08) | 112 comments Started Winter's Bone.

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue | 240 comments My next credit coincides with the release of All the Light We Cannot See, so that's a no-brainer.

message 48: by Fran (new)

Fran Wilkins | 537 comments Michelle wrote: "Started Winter's Bone."

This was made into a gritty independent film that won a Sundance Award and for what it's worth it was well done. Books are usually better, so enjoy.

message 49: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I should finish The Persimmon Tree tomorrow. Bryce Courtenay has a definite “formula” for his books, and this one was no exception…start with a highly competent loner with more than a little luck on his side; add in an intelligent, strong female; sprinkle in lots of colorful characters, seedy underbellies of society, coincidences, and more luck, and voila! This is an enjoyable story, and once again, Humphrey Bower proves to be the perfect narrator for it.

Next up, one I’m excited about: The World According to Garp. I've loved the two John Irving books I've read, so I'm crossing my fingers that this one will be great as well (though Owen Meany and Cider House Rules are tough to beat).

message 50: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Kristie wrote: "I should finish The Persimmon Tree tomorrow. Bryce Courtenay has a definite “formula” for his books, and this one was no exception…start with a highly competent loner with more than ... This is an enjoyable story, and once again, Humphrey Bower proves to be the perfect narrator for it. ..."

Thanks for the comments. I bought it a few days ago, but it may be a while before it gets to the top of the TBL (to be listened) heap.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.