Audiobooks discussion

501 views
Do you prefer male or female authors/ narrators ?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a 2 part question :

In general, would you say you read more books written by male or female authors ?


And would you say you listen to , or prefer listening to , more male or female narrators ?


message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) | 740 comments female
female


message 3: by Faith (last edited Mar 09, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

Faith | 943 comments I've wished for an an author breakdown by gender in my stats because I've been curious about this but too lazy to count. However my guess is that I read a lot more male authors than female ones.

I'm pretty new to listening to audio books, but since I generally prefer deeper voices, I expect that I will also prefer male narrators.

ETA I discovered that LibraryThing does keep stats on this. My breakdown is 70% male 30% female authors.


message 4: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 170 comments About equally female and male authors, but I prefer male readers with upper class British accents, followed by male readers with good Russian accents, followed by male readers with young voices like the one that did Ready Player One, followed by male readers with raspy voices like R.C. Bray.


message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (Haveah) | 178 comments In general, would you say you read more books written by male or female authors? I think I read more male authors. In my preferred favorite genres (SciFi and Fantasy)- the male authors tend to have more developed worlds, WITHOUT all that pesky romance. Not to say that there aren't good female authors, it's just hard to wade through all the supernatural romance stuff that is flooding the market right now.


And would you say you listen to , or prefer listening to , more male or female narrators? I don't have a preference as far as narrators, except that I would like male narrators to have realistic female voices and vice versa. I absolutely HATE that high falsetto sooo many male narrators seem to have for females, and that dopey low voice a lot of female narrators tend to use for males.


message 6: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 936 comments Male and male. But there are some exceptional women out there. Most the books I read fit male voices. But a male doing a woman or woman doing man can be horrendous so I think characters decide a lot.


message 7: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (joycej) | 18 comments Most of my favorite authors are female. I have enjoyed both male and female narration. Usually I just like them to read at a comfortable pace and not have a strong accent. One exception is Davina Porter who is my favorite and probably because of her accents!


message 8: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1084 comments Just guessing but I'd say more male authors. They tend to write more history books.

I'd guess male for narrators too as they tend to read more history books. However, when I think of which narrators have made the greatest impression upon me, they are female--Davina Porter and Cassandra Campbell.


message 9: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (ahsatan82) | 19 comments Female
Female (preference) - Ideally I like to listen to females read female characters and male do male. But when that's not the case I prefer women who do male voices over men who do female voices.


message 10: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 336 comments I think I read slightly more books by female writers than male, but it's more or less even.

As far as narrators go... I really don't care, but I prefer if the gender of the main character matches the gender of the narrator - especially if it's mainly told from the main character's point of view.


message 11: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2935 comments I have tried for the last 2 years to read more male authors and listen to more male narrators but I still end up reading and listening to more females.


message 12: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2935 comments Grr I hate that you can't edit comments on the app but here are my stats for 2015

107 books read- 7811 pages read- 70 Female Authors 37 male Authors
905 Hours of Audiobooks, Listened to- 50 Female Narrators-44 Male Narrators


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I definitely read lots more books by male authors, no doubt of that .

I like listening to males reading my books, but when I come down to the few that have been really standouts for me so far, they are female narrators . I'm sure there are just as many really great male narrators, there are just a lot of them I have yet to listen to .


message 14: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 474 comments Out of curiosity I counted male and female authors in the book list I still keep in a Word document. Totals for fiction, including books not liked or finished: 65 male, 90 female. When I counted only the 4 and 5 star books: 33 male, 42 female. I didn't count in non-fiction but it looked as if there would be a majority for male writers.


message 15: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 366 comments I have never cared as long as the narrators are good and know what they are doing.


message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 1966 comments I don't have a preference. I read based on whether or not I think the book will be appealing. I do, of course, have favourite authors but that is based on the quality of their writing and not on their gender.

The only time I would have a preference would be that the narrator be appropriate for the book, and sometimes (not always) that appropriateness is a gender match to the main protagonist.


message 17: by Kali (new)

Kali (litchaos) | 3 comments I tend to prefer female narrators, though I'd find it a bit jarring if most of the characters were male. You'd be surprised to hear Shawshank read by a woman, for instance.

I do notice it mostly the other way; books with predominantly female characters or a female lead read by a man, like the Black Magician Trilogy or the Spilling CID series.


message 18: by Audiothing (new)

Audiothing | 260 comments Mara wrote: "I have never cared as long as the narrators are good and know what they are doing."
I agree with Mara, I have no preference, quality is quality no matter the gender


message 19: by PerfectCupOfTea (new)

PerfectCupOfTea | 3 comments If I prefer listening to, more male or female narrators?

It depends on the POV of the book/the POV of the protagonist. If it's from the point of view of a man, then I'd prefer that. The opposite is also true for women.

Overall, I read more books written by women. I do, however, think this is due to the genre of books I read and not so much the gender of the protagonist.

I don't discriminate narrators based on their sex,- but their performance. I remember listening to a narration of one of Ken Follett's books, and the narrator was reading a passage that involved rape, using the same tone as you would use reading a grocery list out loud. Made the whole chapter seem both obscene and ridiculous.
I've also noticed male narrators can botch up a good book by not evoking the same attitude as the protagonist, or making the females sound like bimbos. I've attempted to listen to 50 shades of Grey (audible version), but couldn't stomach it, since the narrator (female) made the main character sound like she was 15, naive, and about as intelligent as a piece of bread.

In the same way, I can fall in love with narrators and simply try an audiobook because they narrated it, even if I've never even heard of the author.


message 20: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 5535 comments I have no gender preference for authors but, as someone else said earlier, I may have more female authors due to the genres I listen to. As for narrators... I tend to find the sound of a man's voice more pleasing generally speaking, but have a significant number of female narrators I absolutely adore. Like others have said, I do want a first-person POV read by the same gender as the POV character, but don't mind which gender narrates if it isn't 1st person. In fact, I prefer Davina Porter's Hamish Macbeth over the current male narrator--he isn't bad or anything, but I loved Davina's narration.


message 21: by Barron (new)

Barron (barry1961) | 933 comments I prefer Male authors and Female narrators, although you would not be able to tell that from the list of books I have read in the last year.


message 22: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 32 comments I don't really care about the sex of the author, though the genres I read are male dominated. That said, Jane Austen is my favorite author.

I do prefer male narrators, but I haven't listened to very many female, and I have come across a couple with voices I love.

Basically ditto Jeanie.


message 23: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Harju | 3 comments I mostly read epic/heroic/high fantasy. That said, I haven't yet found many books in that category written by female authors, I've seen a few but the cover images of supernatural six pack males or vampires usually makes me keep some distance. I absolutely cannot stand romance/erotic driven fantasy.

Also I think it's easier for me to connect with male authors. I've heard some good female narrators for example, Kate Reading. But usually prefer male narrators.


message 24: by Margo (new)

Margo | 2366 comments I can honestly say I have no preferene.

I don't read a lot of "mens" books. By that I mean books that tend to refer to charactors by their surname. It not an exact science, but as a genereral rule of thumb it works out pretty well.


message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin | 1970 comments The last 3 years I read just about half men and women, which I was surprised to find. I would have thought it was more women since I read some romances and cozy mysteries, which are generally written by women. However, I also like some fantasy & sic-fi, which is often (though not always) written by men. And I like classics which of course are male dominated.

As far as narrators, I think it's best for them to match the gender of the main character, or of the author if there are multiple major characters. Sometimes it works to have more than one narrator for different points of view, but I generally prefer one talented narrator throughout. There are great narrators of both genders.


message 26: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann  | 8 comments Wether it's a male or female author doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's a well written story or least as long as it's entertaining.

I prefer the narrator to match the main protagonist. If its a male then a male voice for example. Also I like it when they can get the accent right as well. I don't like hearing a British accent with an American character or vice a versa. I also like multiple narrators, helps bring the story more to life in my own opinion.


message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 913 comments I definitely listen to more female narrators.
Last year out of 142 books 95 were single female or all female narrations and 18 were dual narrations by both men and women.
That only leaves 29 books of male only narrations.

Authors are also mainly female 109 books vs 33 by male authors.


message 28: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3435 comments It never occurred to me to have a preference for male or female narrators. If the gender of the narrator is a fit for the book, it works for me. When Donna Tartt, a woman (with a notable southern accent), narrated A Secret History from the perspective of a man from California, that didn't work for me.

That said, I probably end up listening to more male narrators because they just happen to narrate the books I read.


message 29: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I don't choose one over the other, just depends on the book I want to read and who is narrating it. I don't prefer one over the other either, except I expect the voice to go with the story or main character that is the "voice" of the story.


message 30: by Tracey (last edited Mar 11, 2016 08:55AM) (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 404 comments I just put far too much time into this...

I just did a sort of rough count of what I've listened to over the past couple of years. Out of 120 audiobooks read by single narrators, 69 were read by male narrators and 51 female; I do choose books based on the samples, so I guess you could say men have an edge.

Going through, out of those I consider favorites - deal-clinchers, who make the difference of whether I shell out (usually) a little more for an audiobook or just buy a Kindle copy - eleven are female and fourteen male.

The ones who have ruined me for print versions of a book or series (example: I will never read another word of Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series as long as Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is narrating the audiobooks) are seven men and three women.

The narrators I fangirl over, whom I will follow anywhere, will listen to anything short of 50 Shades just because they're reading it, are six men and three women.

So, somewhat to my surprise, I guess overall I prefer male narrators.

ETA: on the other hand, out of all the books I've ever given five stars to, sixty-nine percent were written by women. Interesting.


message 31: by Ritu (new)

Ritu Raveendran (ritu_r) | 1 comments Usually for me it depends on the writing POV ! I honestly prefer male voice for a book in male pov rather than the woman reading it .


message 32: by Msjodi777 (new)

Msjodi777 | 693 comments Julie wrote: "In general, would you say you read more books written by male or female authors ?


And would you say you listen to , or prefer listening to , more male or female narrators ? ..."


My first reaction to these questions was: "Yes" - Yes, I like books written by both male and female authors, and yes I like books narrated by both male and female readers.

The long answer is a lot more complicated, because mostly "it depends." It depends on POV, it depends on genre, it depends on topic, it depends on so many different things that I really couldn't make a distinction. Until this week I would have said that I prefer male authors to female authors for mystery/thriller books. But this week I read 2 books in that category written by female authors that I really enjoyed.

One thing I will say about the gender question is that in my experience I have found that more of the books that I dislike because I feel like an intruder in the bedroom scenes are written by female authors than by male authors. Now before I get attacked for that statement, let me admit that it could just be because of the authors I choose. I really don't know about that. But more of the authors that I have stopped reading because of this have been female rather than male. <><


message 33: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 5535 comments Tracey wrote: "I just put far too much time into this...

I just did a sort of rough count of what I've listened to over the past couple of years. Out of 120 audiobooks read by single narrators, 69 were read by ..."


I just have to second your opinion of Kobna Holbrook Smith's narration of the Peter Grant series... he brings so much to the story that can't be found on the page alone.


message 34: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Ferguson (ruthdfw) | 120 comments Julie wrote: "This is a 2 part question :

In general, would you say you read more books written by male or female authors ?


And would you say you listen to , or prefer listening to , more male or female narr..."


I have not tracked them but I am pretty sure the answer to both questions is female.


message 35: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Ferguson (ruthdfw) | 120 comments Msjodi777 wrote: "Julie wrote: "In general, would you say you read more books written by male or female authors ?


And would you say you listen to , or prefer listening to , more male or female narrators ? ..."

My..."


On the second question - gender does not matter as much as voice fitting into the story and quality of performance.


message 36: by Mel (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 41 comments Some science on the subject.. my link text
Personally, I go with talent.


message 37: by Mel (new)

Mel (melreader1) | 41 comments Some science (almost) on the subject ... my link text
Personally, I go with talent; though because of my sex, there are some British male narrators that could convince me the phone book was 5 stars.


message 38: by Maisha (new)

Maisha (1mayazigirl) | 4 comments I'm listening to an audiobook now that grates on my ears at times because it is read by an actor who sounds as if he is doing a soliloquy at times. Women narrators are a bit better to me because of their voices.


message 39: by N (new)

N | 17 comments I prefer fiction books that are written by women, mostly because usually they tend to be less violent and gruesome. Nonfiction I usually like both sexes. I don't care who narrates the characters as long as they are done well. It probably is better to have the correct sex do the narration for the main character, but I am really not sure about that. I'll have to pay more attention to that!


message 40: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 404 comments Jeanie wrote: "I just have to second your opinion of Kobna Holbrook Smith's narration of the Peter Grant series... he brings so much to the story that can't be found on the page alone..."

He reduces me to utter fangirl. Speaking of which -

Mel wrote: "... though because of my sex, there are some British male narrators that could convince me the phone book was 5 stars."

Yup. Amen.


message 41: by Msjodi777 (new)

Msjodi777 | 693 comments Well, I commented on this before, but today was updating my read list for this year, and decided to add the columns for f/m for both authors and narrators. I was just a bit surprised, because I don't think like female authors very much, but the authors were evenly matched - 13 female, 14 male; narrators are a different story, with 9 female, and 18 male.

What I find most interesting is that I have listened to 27 books this year, 3 of which were narrated by Simon Vance. The interesting part of this is that no other narrator is duplicated on my list. In other words I have 27 books with 24 different narrators. And here I have been thinking that I listen to the same narrators over and over and over and over... guess not. <><


message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 313 comments Male,
Male

Most science fiction, horror and thrillers are read by men. I prefer male readers because of my hearing issues. A poor male narrator is often better than a high pitched female reader for me. That is not to say that I avoid books read by female narrators. Enjoy and understand such narrators as Barbara Rosenblat, Susan Erickson, and Amanda Ronconi. While these books are also geared towards women, their voices are in the lower range, and easy for me. Most of the books I've dropped due to narrator were higher pitched women.


message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 9 comments I prefer the gender of the narrator match the gender of the main MC. The gender of the author had nothing to do with it. I also like book read by actors when possible. I've never thought about it before, but tow of the main series I listen to have a male MC and the other has a MMC and a FMC, but is read by the author so most of my audio books have a male reader. Interesting. I may have to take a closer look at that.


message 44: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 4 comments All the audiobooks that I have listened to so far have been read by men. I prefer it if a man is reading a horror story, or if the person has a distinctive voice then I find it interesting to listen to. I really like Doug Bradley's Spinechillers series (there are 13 in the series, there is a summary of the authors work that is narrated which is nice to know) I have been listening for most of the day to the High Rise audiobook (narrated by Tom Hiddlestone, I love the sound of his voice and I am a huge fan of him too) :) If there are any audiobooks narrated by women that are worth listening to please let me know. I am looking forward to listening to Scarlet Johanson reading Alice in Wonderland.


message 45: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 5535 comments Carly wrote: "All the audiobooks that I have listened to so far have been read by men. I prefer it if a man is reading a horror story, or if the person has a distinctive voice then I find it interesting to liste..."

There are a number of great female narrators, but recommendations would only be useful if they were in a genre you like. You mentioned Horror, NOS4A2 is read by Kate Mulgrew and gets rave reviews.
If you are interested in more recs, maybe you could list genres you like? Or even start a separate thread asking for recs and start a whole new discussion... that would probably be quite interesting.


message 46: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 4 comments Jeanie wrote: "Carly wrote: "All the audiobooks that I have listened to so far have been read by men. I prefer it if a man is reading a horror story, or if the person has a distinctive voice then I find it intere..."

I do like other genres, but there isn't any catergory or section for audiobooks that I can search. I am unsure if there even is an audiobook of some of books that I want to read but sometimes I would prefer to listen to a book before buying the book, in case I don't like. Is there a way to remove books from the library, if you use audible?


message 47: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 366 comments As I have said before, I don't care as long as they are good narrators and know what they are doing.


message 48: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 5535 comments Carly wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "Carly wrote: "All the audiobooks that I have listened to so far have been read by men. I prefer it if a man is reading a horror story, or if the person has a distinctive voice then I..."

If you buy a book from Audible and don't like it, you can return the book for your money/credit back and it is removed from your Library. This makes buying from Audible much better since it's worthwhile to take a chance since there's little or no risk. They do limit the number of returns per year that you can do via the website, but a call to Customer Service has allowed some people here to return as many as seven books in a year. I find I also really benefit from listening to the audio sample on Audible before buying a book if I don't know the narrator--it has saved me from buying many a book that otherwise would have been a rotten listening experience.


message 49: by Gram (new)

Gram | 4 comments I almost always prefer male narrators. But True Grit read by Donna Tartt and The Turn of the Screw read by Emma Thompson are two of the best narrations I've ever listened to.


message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura (piggyb73) I definitely read more female writers with female main characters, so most of them are female narrators. However I really enjoy the duel narrations with both male and female reading their parts


« previous 1
back to top