Across Canada > Saskatchewan

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3527 comments Mod
Books and authors from/about SK

message 3: by ❀ Susan (new)

I have cool water on my bedside table tbr! It was recommended by cbc personality gill deacon.

Although Life of Pi is not my favourite, I am seeing yann Martell next month and it is sure to be interesting discussion. Has anyone read the high mountains of Portugal? It is on my pile also!!

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1530 comments I absolutely loved Cool Water; it's a quiet novel. I'm hoping to get to her new novel Liberty Street some time soon.

I loved Life of Pi but I did not like Yann's other novel Beatrice and Virgil that much. I do want to read his new novel; I have it on hold at the library but I'm 5th in line. I have heard him talk in person and he is extremely interesting so I am sure you will love it.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 628 comments One of my favourite novels is set in Sask. A Student of Weather by Elizabeth Hay.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan | 628 comments Susan wrote:
Although Life of Pi is not my favourite, I am seeing yann Martell next month and it is sure to be int..."

Thank you! Life of Pi wasn't a favourite of mine either....

message 7: by ❀ Susan (new)

Yann Martel is coming to Grimsby April 1, so I am trying to finish The High Mountains of Portugal first.

@Megan - I have not read that one by Elizabeth Hay but enjoyed meeting her when she was promoting His Whole Life http://ayearofbooksblog.com/2015/09/1...

message 8: by ❀ Susan (new)

Cross-posting this one - he was an awesome speaker to a sold out crowd! http://ayearofbooksblog.com/2016/04/0...

message 9: by ❀ Susan (new)

Reading 101 Letters to a Prime Minister: The Complete Letters to Stephen Harper and enjoying the articulate, humorous and sometimes veiled commentary in his letters. It is adding to my TBR pile and I can't help but hope that despite not replying to the letters, Harper has enjoyed some of the novels sent his way.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1530 comments Susan wrote: "Reading 101 Letters to a Prime Minister: The Complete Letters to Stephen Harper and enjoying the articulate, humorous and sometimes veiled commentary in his letters. It is adding to..."

Yann Martel is brilliant and it's a shame he was so blatanly ignored by Harper. I had planned on reading every book on the list starting with the first one but I didn't make it very far :-(. I'm surprised there is no book group on Good Reads to read all the books.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan | 628 comments I had forgotten about Letters to Stephen Harper!! I had followed the blog for a bit a few years ago. I'd be interested in reading the complete set. :)

message 12: by ❀ Susan (new)

It is interesting to read what he has suggested. Many of the books are on the shorter side - I guess he figured Harper would be too busy.... I will have to look and see if I can find the blog too.

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1530 comments I think ever since the publication of the book, the blog was taken down because all the letters were on it. There was no need to buy the book. I had it bookmarked but when I try to access it now it says "unavailable".

message 14: by ❀ Susan (new)

This makes sense - i am about halfway through the book and enjoying it so far.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 224 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "It is interesting to read what he has suggested. Many of the books are on the shorter side - I guess he figured Harper would be too busy.... I will have to look and see if I can find the blog too."

You are right Susan, I remember reading on the blog they were under 250 or 200 pages or something so there was no excuse for him not to have time to read them :)

message 16: by ❀ Susan (new)

I tweeted Justin to see what he likes to read and whether he found the books in the basement but alas, did not hear back. i think I will try again

message 18: by Allison (last edited Jun 29, 2016 07:47AM) (new)

Allison | 1947 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "I tweeted Justin to see what he likes to read and whether he found the books in the basement but alas, did not hear back. i think I will try again"

Justin Trudeau is a massive reader, so I suspect Yann Martel doesn't feel the need to carry on the job he did with Harper! I read Trudeau's Common Ground and he mentions a number of times his love of reading.

message 19: by ❀ Susan (new)

LOL - someone asked him at the event whether he would send books to Justin and he said he did not feel he had to since he reads. I am curious if the books are still in boxes somewhere...

message 20: by ❀ Susan (new)

Clearly I am not very well-read with Saskatchewan authors. I have only read The High Mountains of Portugal from this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskato...

message 21: by Shvaugn (new)

Shvaugn Craig | 317 comments There was some really good looking poetry collections on that list that I'm excited to check out.

message 22: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1059 comments A couple of suggestions have been included elsewhere but there are a number of new book ideas from Saskatchewan. Here is a link to an interesting list of suggestions from an excellent Canadian source for Canadian Reads - The 49th Shelf:

https://49thshelf.com/Lists/Members/2...

message 23: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1530 comments May I add Song of Batoche if you're looking for a novel set in Sask.

message 24: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 21, 2018 07:57AM) (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments Some terrific Saskatchewan suggestions (in addition to Diane Warren and Yann Martel).

Guy Vanderhaeghe

Harold Johnson including Corvus

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara McEwen (babsbookobsession) | 224 comments Kristine Scarrow is from Saskatoon and writes YA books. I won one in a giveaway and thought it was pretty good. Plus I think she could use some more ratings/exposure compared to some of the big names from Sask.

message 26: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen | 18 comments I am very interested in the discussion on Cool Water so I've added it to my to-read list. Oh how I miss living in Saskatchewan. Such a beautiful province.

message 27: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen | 18 comments The more books added or suggested about Saskatchewan I would love. I wish I could live there permanently.