#Read26Indy discussion

May Reads?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 62 comments I am starting off May with The Giver by Lois Lowry, Brain by Robin Cook, and A Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 20 comments Book club selection for June is Isaac Asimov Nightfall and I am so loving it. I haven't read sci-fi like this since I was in high school. Just don't know what our group will think of it? (May's book is Anne of Green Gables. Our policy is pretty loose on what to read ;)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments GIRL IN TRANSLATION is #51.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments THE END OF THE BOOK by Porter Shreve makes 52. Highly recommended.

message 6: by James (new)

James Brigham | 22 comments I'm hoping to finish "The Snow Child" soon. And now I'm also distracted by Frank Herbert's "Dune", a book I tried to read in high school but found too obtuse and put down ten pages in. And now I'm enamored by it. Go figure.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments I finished AMERICAN FUN, my. 53rd.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments THE MAN WITH TWO ARMS by Billy Lombardo, #54

ON THE STREET OF DIVINE LOVE by Barbsra Hamby, #55

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 62 comments Reading Plum Island by Nelson DeMille

Finished A Journey to the Center of the Earth this week. Not the best classic novel that I have ever read. But not terrible either.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments TINA by
Peter Davis makes 56.

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles Cooper | 23 comments 17. Eoin Colfer: Artemis Fowl

message 12: by Charles (new)

Charles Cooper | 23 comments 18. Jim Steinmeyer: Hiding the Elephant. History of stage magicians from about 1860 to 1920, focusing on tricks to make things disappear, culminating in Houdini making an elephant disappear on stage at the Hippodrome.

Hiding the Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Disappear

message 13: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 62 comments Started Punish the Sinners by John Saul - I am working on catching up on horror/thriller authors who have been writing since before I was born but who I didn't discover until recently. I have about 30 Saul and 40 Koontz books to go! :)

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments THE SPIRIT LEVEL is 57.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments SUMMERLAND by Michael Chabon is 58.

message 16: by Charles (new)

Charles Cooper | 23 comments 19. David Wong: John Dies at the End. Very weird horror novel for people who like very strange stuff.

John Dies at the End

message 17: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Hotz | 3 comments Currently bounding between "Arabian Nights" and a collection of Robert Louis Stevenson short stories, which of course includes "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".

message 18: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 62 comments ROAD TRIP! We will be listening to The Cuckoo's Calling

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 2 comments Working on book #8 - The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. It's definitely not my normal read, but I'm glad I picked it up.

message 20: by Amy Riebe (new)

Amy Riebe | 3 comments Orange is the New Black and The End of Your Life Book Club.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 20 comments Started a medieval English Knight Templar mystery series by Maureen Ash The Alehouse Murdersto follow-up the Ursula Blanchard court of Elizabeth I mystery series I read last month. I didn't count most of them in my total because I had surgery and lots of reading time. Now it is summer and I have lots of reading time hmmmm...

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thartzell) | 7 comments May reads:
#13 - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
#14 - Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene (Divergent, #1.5) by Veronica Roth
#15 - Heartbroken by Lisa Unger
Over half-way there!

message 23: by Don (new)

Don (sliedur) Listening to:
Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen - pretty good so far, made me chuckle a few times.

Just finished listening to: Divergent - didn't care for and The Hard Way - Lee Child Jack Reacher #10 one of the better Reacher books.

Reading: California by Edan Lepucki.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Brockley | 171 comments UPPITY by Bill White is #59.

message 25: by Charles (new)

Charles Cooper | 23 comments 20. Lev Grossman: Codex. Uh, okay. I kept wondering "Why would this guy do this?" And the ending was like the ending of the movie Chinatown. Sort of.

message 26: by Devin Lee (new)

Devin Lee | 5 comments I haven't been posting each month, so here's a long list to get somewhat caught up.

I'm counting my textbooks for Grad courses. They're way thicker than a casual read and keep me from getting to those reads. So, I've finished: Creativity Is Forever, Development Through the Lifespan, The New School, Educational Research Competencies for Analysis and Applications, The Tao of Statistics, Fundamentals of Statistical Reasoning in Education, and Educational Assessment of Students.

In 3 weeks I'll be free to read much lighter texts for pure enjoyment. Can't wait!

message 27: by Jane (new)

Jane | 10 comments I'm reading All Things Hidden by Tracie Peterson. Another Alaskan tale. This time the 1280's. Another read is The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. Just started The Secret History by Donna Tartt . Mrs Lincoln's Dresdner is finished.Great historical novel

message 28: by Don (new)

Don (sliedur) Finished listening to: Bad Monkey - great fun story!Bad Monkey

Started listening to: Forbidden - Ted Dekker
Forbidden

message 29: by Charles (new)

Charles Cooper | 23 comments 21: Elizabeth Norris: Unraveling. Exploring a bit of young adult fiction. Bit much "high school girl" in this one for me.