You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > May 2014 - Theme Discussion (Family word in title)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1030 comments Discuss books with family names titles here!

*Simply stating that you have read the book will not be enough to earn a badge for the group read, please discuss the book. You may link to your review if you like as a means of discussion. Or you may update us periodically on your progress and thoughts as you read through the book.

message 2: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) What do you mean? The word family or ?
Thanks
:)

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 1637 comments This is the section from the nomination thread:

Our theme winner for the month of May is:

Family name in the title ie brother, sister, son, family, mother.

Lets get those nominations going!!

message 4: by Almeta (last edited Apr 30, 2014 10:37PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 9968 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "What do you mean? The word family or ?
Thanks
:)"

Each month the group votes on a group read theme and books to read that fit that theme.

For the month of May, the group voted to read books with a family name in the title. The chosen books are The Bonesetter's Daughter and/or My Cousin Rachel. Each has a separate discussion thread. If you want to choose your own title for this theme and not read the two selections, you would use this thread to discuss your alternative.

Come join us!☺

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18091 comments I wanted to read The Hangman's Daughter but that would mean buying it and I'm trying so very hard to be good for a couple of months! So I've decided to choose an audiobook which is free on my library audio app instead so I'm going to be reading The Sisters Brothers. Not sure how I'll get on with it as Westerns are not my thing at all - I think I was overloaded with them as a child by my dad and granddad but this book does have some good reviews.

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14514 comments I'm going to read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. It never attracted me that much by its descritpion, even though it's a genre that I like. I came across it on bookmooch a couple of months ago and mooched it, and this seems like a good time to read it. And I can use it for my chunkster challenge too, my paperback has just over 500 pages :D

message 7: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19520 comments I had no idea the book was so long Peggy. I know the movie but I have never been drawn to read the book. It was not a bad movie, but not one that gave me that curious itch to want to know if the book was more than the movie or if I was going to find out anything new, if I read it.

message 8: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19520 comments Ugh, Sarah, the cover would have made say "Oh, No Way!!! The summary sounds interesting but real westerny to me. :0)

message 9: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19520 comments Damn typing on my iPod at 1:34 am when I should be sleeping! I meant NOT real westerny.

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18091 comments Cherie wrote: "Ugh, Sarah, the cover would have made say "Oh, No Way!!! The summary sounds interesting but real westerny to me. :0)"

You made me laugh Cherie as the cover is what swayed me to read it despite the possible Westerny feel!

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14514 comments Cherie wrote: "I had no idea the book was so long Peggy. I know the movie but I have never been drawn to read the book. It was not a bad movie, but not one that gave me that curious itch to want to know if the ..."

I think the basic goodreads search gives a book of 380 pages. I'll go into it not expecting much, and hopefully that won't disappoint me ;-)

I had no idea there was a movie!

message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4093 comments Sarah wrote: "I wanted to read The Hangman's Daughter but that would mean buying it and I'm trying so very hard to be good for a couple of months! So I've decided to choose an audiobook which is f..."

I was going read Sisters brothers too but I just got The Silent Wife from my library, so that is what I will read. I have it on audio and probably will start it this weekend.

message 13: by Tasha (new)

Tasha @Sarah, I loved The Sisters Brothers and plan to reread it one of these days. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

message 14: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) I am going to read "Sister" by Rosamund Lupton, so far so good, I was worried I wasn't going to like it but its not bad. Hope to finish it this weekend!
:)

message 15: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I'm reading The Blacksmith's Son. Bought it a while ago kindle and whispersync for $3. These cheapies can be hit or miss but after a rocky start I find myself enjoying it as I go on

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18091 comments I started listening to The Sisters Brothers yesterday. I've listened to about an hour of it so far. The narrator is good and I've been sucked in to the story line and I'm very intrigued to see where things go. So far, the main character (view spoiler) I am enjoying it.

message 17: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Good choice, Sarah. I liked that book a lot when I read it a couple of years ago.

message 18: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Sarah wrote: "I started listening to The Sisters Brothers yesterday. I've listened to about an hour of it so far. The narrator is good and I've been sucked in to the story line and I'm very intrig..."

I laughed so hard in a few places when read that book a few years ago.

message 19: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments I want to read The Last Brother and The Bird Sisters this month

message 20: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14514 comments I'm 80 pages into Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, and I'm afraid it's going to be a long long book to read. I don't like the writing and I dislike the characters, especially Vivi. I find her a fake, arrogant and egocentric lady who thinks she's more important and better than others and acts that way too, even at almost 70. Let's see how this continues...

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I finished The Blacksmith's Son. It took a little to warm up to this book. The writing and plot improved as the story went on. I will continue the series I believe. Had s 17 yr old blacksmiths son discovering he can do magic. Finds out he is from a long line of wizards. We watch him begin to explore and understand his powers and himself and family history. It ends rather abruptly to get you to pick up book 2.

message 22: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18091 comments Sorry to hear your not enjoying your book Peggy! I hope it picks up soon (if you decide to continue with it).

message 23: by Cherie (last edited May 05, 2014 12:32PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19520 comments Peggy wrote: "I'm 80 pages into Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, and I'm afraid it's going to be a long long book to read. I don't like the writing and I dislike the characters, especially V..."

Hi Peggy,
I remember from the movie that Vivi was not an especially warm character, and I have to say, I did not really like her daughter much either. Neurotic? However, not to discourage you from reading, if you do not like it, but there was a twist at the end and a lot is explained about "why" things were the way they were. Hope this helps some.

message 24: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14514 comments I read some more and I'm enjoying it a bit more. The childhood stories of Vivi are fun to read.

Cherie, I don't like Sidda much either, but I can't really say why. It's not a dislike as with Vivi, but more an annoyance. I haven't really read that much about her character yet, but she seems a bit whiny so far.

message 25: by Cherie (last edited May 05, 2014 12:42PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19520 comments Peggy wrote: "I read some more and I'm enjoying it a bit more. The childhood stories of Vivi are fun to read.

Cherie, I don't like Sidda much either, but I can't really say why. It's not a dislike as with Vivi..."

Yes, I thought she was a bit more than whiny. I could not stand her. Unfortunately, the actress who played her character is not one of my favorites either. So it was a no win situation. Glad it is better for you.

message 26: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14514 comments I had to look up who played her, but I don't like Sandra Bullock that much either. Definitely never going to watch the movie ;-)

I'm almost halfway through the book now. I'm glad it's a fast read! I still don't like Siddha, I just want to grab her, shake her, and tell her to stop whining and overthinking and feeling so sorry for herself and get on with her life.

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16620 comments Sounds like we have a contender for the Character You Most Want to Slap award!

message 28: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14514 comments I need a *like*-button here!

message 29: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16620 comments lol I say that a few times a day.

We'll see how I feel in Nov/Dec but I may need to open a thread for that "award" for a cleansing before the new year. I always have a few contenders.

message 30: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) So I'm half way through "Sister" by Rosamund Lupton, so far it's very good definitely engaging and sad. I haven't gotten far enough into the book to know where it's going just yet but I hope it's a good ending.

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18091 comments I listened to the audio of Sister a few months back Delmy. I thought it was good but I think it would have been better in print format because of all the changes in times the story was being told. When I read it, I was expecting a thriller and I didn't feel it was quite that. Despite this, I did enjoy it.

message 32: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) I don't listen to audiobooks because I often find that the person reading the book does not exude the essence of the character, if that makes any sense. I like the book a lot and yeah, with the timeline changing back and forth I could see how it could be confusing if you're listening to the audio.

message 33: by Cherie (last edited May 07, 2014 02:38PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19520 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "I don't listen to audiobooks because I often find that the person reading the book does not exude the essence of the character, if that makes any sense. I like the book a lot and yeah, with the tim..."

Delmy,
If you want to listen to an audio book where the narrator "exudes" the character, I challenge you to listen to Middlesex narrated by Kristopher Tabori. It was the best story I have heard so far this year!

message 34: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) I've listened to an audiobook read by him (Hide and seek) I did not care for his voice, kind of off-putting. Maybe I should have said that I only listen to audiobooks if the narrator has a certain tone of voice. I'm very particular I know.
;)

message 35: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19520 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "I've listened to an audiobook read by him (Hide and seek) I did not care for his voice, kind of off-putting. Maybe I should have said that I only listen to audiobooks if the narrator has a certain ..."

Middlesex was the first book I have listened to that was narrated by him. I did not even know who he was until after I listened to the book and then looked him up. I thought he was awsome. I'm sorry you did not like him.

message 36: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Middlesex was really well done on audio! It took me a bit to get into all the voice changes but once I got it, it was really good!

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46797 comments I read Spider Woman's Daughter for the theme. I was rather disappointed in this book. It's interesting after the discussion above about narrators, that I report my book which was ruined by the narrator. I really wish I had read the Kindle edition and not listened to the audiobook.

I'm not even sure what the story was about. The story is basically that Leaphorn is shot in front of Bernadette (Bernie) who is a Navajo police officer. She promises Leaphorn that she will find out who shot him. There's a few red herrings, a lot about her disagreements with her sister who is supposed to be caring for their mother, a fair amount about her cloyingly sweet husband, and a little bit of delving into the mystery. I think.

My review.

message 38: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14514 comments I finished my book! Here's my short review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

It didn't get much better, I only liked the parts about Vivi's childhood and young adulthood.

message 39: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18091 comments Glad you made it to the end Peggy! Now on to something more likable aye?

message 40: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1798 comments I read The Wednesday Sisters for the family theme. At first the characters fell a little flat with me but, of course, after I got their back stories I got drawn in. It's the story of 5 women who are sisters of the heart not of blood, who meet during the 1960's. I relate to these types of stories since I've lived half way across the country from my family for 25 years and have been blessed with people who have become family of my heart. It was interesting to see the challenges they faced, racism, equality for women and even medical care and how these challenges bonded them. I gave it 3 stars and will probably read the sequel, The Wednesday Daughters.

message 41: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18091 comments I finished listening to The Sisters Brothers. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. As it had been termed Western-esque I was a little bit dubious about it as I don't like Westerns as a rule but this was different enough for me to get in to it. The audio was very well done too. I really enjoyed the first part of the book then my attention waned, then picked up again, then waned and I felt that it did that pretty much the whole way through the book which is why I have given it 3.5 stars instead of 4. If it had been more consistently gripping, I would have given it 4 stars. I loved that around the time the story was set, they had only just been introduced to the concept of oral hygiene, toothbrushes and tooth powder and I thought it really funny how they explained the benefits and that it felt like your whole head had been cleaned inside after! I liked how the two brothers changed and grew as the story progressed. I am pleased I read it!

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14514 comments Ah, good that you both liked your books :)

message 43: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed that one, Sarah. :)

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46797 comments We read The Sisters Brothers for our irl bookclub and we all enjoyed it. There were some pretty gruesome parts to it that made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but the relationship between the two brothers was the redeeming part. It's a book I'd read again some day.

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18091 comments Yes there were definitely some gruesome parts to it! (view spoiler)

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46797 comments Sarah wrote: "Yes there were definitely some gruesome parts to it! [spoilers removed]"

Yes, those were the parts I was thinking of when I wrote that.

message 47: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) So I finished reading Sister by Rosamund Lupton

It was okay, I feel like the story was a bit far fetched and the reason and the person who kills the sister. The writing was okay, the character okay, it was an okay story. It peaked my interest enough to finish it. I just feel lukewarm about it, nothing to get excited about. I don't want to say too much and spoil it but I like the sequence of events and how it was told, that was new and different but again if I had never read it, it wouldn't have affected me at all.

message 48: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4093 comments I have read: The Silent Wife.

The novel has good points. I liked the way it is constructed. Her and Him chapters giving us both side of the story. I like the writing style, the way the story is build. I should have loved it.
But, somehow, it felt short of the mark. It felt flat. I could not get involved in the story. Too mellow? Well, maybe. But this mood fits the story.
It took me a while to write this. I was looking for exactly why it did not quite worked for me. Honestly, I still am.

message 49: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1927 comments I'm almost finished with Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of Loss and Love. It's a quick read, but I'm a bit disappointed in it. It's true that the theme of the book is important and sad (non-fiction, it tells about how many Chinese women have either killed or abandoned their baby girls, as the society has valued boys so much more), but the style of the writer somehow makes it bland. It's based on letters and interviews that the author has received and made, but the women just seem so distant, and I don't think it's because of the cultural difference, but because of the way they are described. I expected to cry when reading the book (I cry easily when reading, LOL!), but that is certainly not going to happen. Can't give it more than two stars, although I noticed the average rating on GR is over 4. Just blaah.

message 50: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1927 comments Okay, just finished Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of Loss and Love and it did not get any better towards the end. Luckily it took only a couple of hours to read, so not much time wasted.

« previous 1