You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > May 2014 - My Cousin Rachel Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments Discuss My cousin Rachel here!!

message 2: by Lisa (last edited May 02, 2014 05:48PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I started this a few days ago and am up to Chapter 14. I am really enjoying it so far, the plot has completely pulled me in and I love the writing (as I do with Daphne du Maurier books in general).

In Chapters 1-3, (view spoiler)

I really enjoyed Chapter 8, (view spoiler)

In Chapters 9-11, (view spoiler)

In Chapter 10, (view spoiler)

In Chapter 13, (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

I love how this book throws up so many questions and constantly keeps you guessing as to the motives of the characters. I can't wait to continue in order to see how it all develops from here!

message 3: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I'm picking this up from the library today and hope to start it this weekend. I love Daphne du Maurier too so am very excited about this read. I will wait patiently to read your spoilers Lisa. :).

message 4: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'll be starting this one today or tomorrow.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited May 01, 2014 08:07AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I just want to warn anyone who has a Foreword in their edition that some of them apparently contain some pretty big spoilers so it may be best to avoid them if you don't want to run the risk of being spoiled before you start reading the actual book.

message 6: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2622 comments I started reading this 2 or 3 days ago, and I have read the first five chapters. DuMaurier's writing is very engaging. She certainly creates a strong sense of foreboding in the first chapter, when (view spoiler)

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I was also intrigued by those quotes Casceil.

Daphne du Maurier certainly knows how to create a page turner. I get more and more uneasy with each passing page, not just with this book but with all of the books that I have read by her so far.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments This is one of my very favorite books. Wish I had time in my schedule for a reread, but I'm so glad to see people enjoying it.

I also loved Jamaica Inn and Rebecca, but this is an author whose books I don't want to read at some level, because I never want to run out.

message 9: by Lisa (last edited May 01, 2014 10:46AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "This is one of my very favorite books. Wish I had time in my schedule for a reread, but I'm so glad to see people enjoying it.

I also loved Jamaica Inn and Rebecca

I loved those books too Laura. Rebecca is one of my all-time favourites. If this one carries on the way it is going, I reckon it will end up being one of my favourites too! :)

I just discovered that there is a film adaptation of this book from 1952, starring Olivia de Havilland and a young Richard Burton. Has anyone seen it or know if it is good?

message 10: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2622 comments I haven't seen the 1952 movie, but with that cast it should be good. If it easily available, such as on Netflix, we might want to discuss the movie adaptation after we have all read the book.

message 11: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19968 comments I checked out the movie trailors. It does look good!
I only finished chapter 1, so I can't read Lisa's spoilers yet, but I can say and agree that I do love her writing! I have only read Rebecca and Frenchman's Creek. I have Jamaica Inn waiting for me in my chunkester list yet.
I will have Richard Burton's sad, puppy-dog eyes in front of me, and his smooth clipped voice in my ears as I read Phillip. What could be better?

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments I read it last month, and wow.

Sally Beauman's foreword is good and not spoiler-y. I would definitely recommend to read it at least after the story.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments I didn't know there was a movie, but that sounds great! Definitely want to see that.

message 14: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I am a little behind on this book, but I'll get a copy soon. My city was hit by a tornado Monday, so we have not had internet service, and I have not been able to go to the library because the streets are closed. Hopefully, I will be able to get out tomorrow and get a book. We are just thankful our neighborhood was spared (by a mile or so).

message 15: by Lisa (last edited May 01, 2014 05:13PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I just watched the trailer for the film too. I think both Richard Burton and Olivia de Havilland look good in the roles. I haven't really watched any films with him in before, he was pretty easy on the eye wasn't he, if the trailer for 'My Cousin' is anything to go by! ;)

I am now up to Chapter 16.

(view spoiler)

In Chapter 14, (view spoiler)

Also in Chapter 14, (view spoiler)

message 16: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Oh my gosh Connie- how terrifying! I'm so glad you are ok.

message 17: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2622 comments Connie, I'm glad your block was spared. I hope the library was, too.

message 18: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 01, 2014 07:36PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments It was frightening, but we took cover and are very fortunate--no damage and all safe. Much of the city has just gotten power back today because so many poles and transformers had to be replaced, and many homes and businesses are leveled.
This isn't the first or even the closest tornado I have been through; however, they are always scary!

The library was not in the tornado's path, but it is on the other side of town from me, so I can't get to since the roads are closed. The tornado cut a big swath down the center of the city from southwest to northeast. It began at the city limits and did not lift off the ground until leaving outside the city. It is a sad, devastating sight. Of course, I have only seen newspaper and tv photos.

message 19: by Lisa (last edited May 01, 2014 05:36PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Glad to hear that you and your neighbours are safe Connie and that the library was not damaged! I am very sorry to hear how much damage it has caused in the city though.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Gosh, Connie, very sorry to hear that. I'm so glad you are ok. That must be stressful, having to deal with that on a regular basis.

message 21: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 01, 2014 07:38PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Thanks!
I have decided to buy a kindle edition of My Cousin Rachel, so I can start reading tonight. I am really excited about reading another Daphne du Maurier book as a group read. Frenchman's Creek was such a fantastic group read!

message 22: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Glad to hear you are ok. That is really scary!

message 23: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19968 comments I was in Tennessee a few years ago when they were having tornado warnings and the sirens went off two times. That was scary enough for me! Glad you and yours are ok, Connie. Sorry to hear about the damage in your town though.

message 24: by Marnie (last edited May 02, 2014 08:35AM) (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I finished my other reads and finally started this book. I must say Daphne Du Maurier sure knows how to set the mood. The opening chapter has such a strong sense of foreboding.
(view spoiler)

In chapter 3 (view spoiler)

message 25: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2622 comments Re: Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

message 26: by Cherie (last edited May 02, 2014 05:49PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19968 comments I am in the middle of Chapter 7. (view spoiler)

Right off of the bat, we do not know what or who to believe from one page to the next. I love how the author keeps building up to things. Yes, the foreboding and doom and gloom, like a fog rolling in from the ocean covering everything. I really liked the beginning where Phillip was telling about Ambrose too. He seemed like such a wonderful, exceptionally nice person.

It really is very hard to understand how communicating with people took so very long, isn't it? Our world is the same size as theirs was, but we can talk instantly, pratically any where we want.

message 27: by Lisa (last edited May 03, 2014 10:45AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have just reached Chapter 20.

I loved the descriptions of the (view spoiler)

In Chapters 17 and 19, (view spoiler)

Although I (view spoiler)

This book really makes your head spin (in a good way). I can't even begin to guess what is going to happen next!

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Cherie wrote: "I am in the middle of Chapter 7. [spoilers removed]

Right off of the bat, we do not know what or who to believe from one page to the next. I love how the author keeps building up to things. Yes..."

Re: communication- I agree, it is hard to get your head around how long it took to communicate in those times. It must have been quite unreliable too, as letters could so easily be lost. At least we have plenty of ways to communicate with each other now. Just think, if we didn't, we wouldn't be here now discussing this book! Or any book for that matter! Pretty depressing thought!

message 29: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I am at the start of Chapter 11.
I'm not sure what to make of Philip- annoying isn't the right word but young might be.

I like that Daphne Du Maurier is not telling this story from Rachel's point of view. It makes her more mysterious. Is she as sweet as she seems? I like how the story is unfolding. I can't wait to learn what really happened in Italy.

Lisa I've read your spoilers up to ch 11
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Lisa (last edited May 03, 2014 02:54AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I agree Marnie, I think young is definitely the right word for Philip. I have actually had to remind myself on several occasions that he is a grown man and not a teenage boy. I would add (view spoiler) to the list too.

message 31: by Lisa (last edited May 03, 2014 10:59AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have just finished it. What a book! What an ending! I loved it! I actually think it was just as good as Rebecca. I loved (view spoiler)

In Chapter 20, (view spoiler)

I loved the scene in Chapter 22, (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

The ending! (view spoiler)

I reckon I will be thinking about this book for quite some time! I also can't wait to see the film. I ended up buying a copy of the dvd from Amazon the other day as it doesn't appear to be available on Netflix at the moment. Hopefully I will get a chance to watch it fairly soon.

I hope you all continue to enjoy this book. Happy reading everyone! :)

message 32: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 03, 2014 08:44PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I am beginning Chapter 12.
I agree that having a male narrator is a perfect choice for this book. Philip is unreliable because he is immature, jealous, and has been brought up in a misogynist environment. (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I just finished chapter 19 and have decided Philip is not only immature but an idiot too :). (view spoiler)

This story has me completely engrossed. I'm hoping to finish tonight because I can't wait to find out how this ends.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Woot! You guys are making me wanna read this again! I actually think this is better than Rebecca. The film to that one was terrific though - better even than the book, I thought.

message 35: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Just finished- the ending did not disappoint.
(view spoiler)

I thought this book was brilliant...I loved it.

message 36: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 04, 2014 02:40PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I have finished as well and was engrossed right to the very end. It reminds me of a Hitchcock movie!
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 04, 2014 04:14PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments (view spoiler)

message 38: by Lisa (last edited May 04, 2014 03:44PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am really glad you both enjoyed it, Marnie and Connie! :)

I agree Marnie, (view spoiler)

message 39: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2622 comments I finished the book last night. My comments on the ending: (view spoiler)

message 40: by Lisa (last edited May 05, 2014 10:43AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Casceil, (view spoiler)

message 41: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2622 comments Lisa, (view spoiler)

message 42: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19968 comments I WANTED to finish last night, but it was already after 2am and I had to close the book. I finished Chapter 21 and turned off my Nook.

I read all of your spoilers I could up to and including Marnie's in message 33. (view spoiler) I am beyond trying to figure out what is going to happen next, but I am worried about Phillip. (view spoiler)

message 43: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 05, 2014 01:31PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I understand that the book is written as a flashback because Philip says in one of the first chapters that this is a confession;(view spoiler)

I think Philip's personality is set, and he is who he will be the rest of his life, just as Louise is who she will be the rest of her life. Some people are foolish and never grow up no matter what their age, and some people are born responsible and compassionate.

message 44: by Marnie (last edited May 05, 2014 01:28PM) (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Cherie- I hate when the clock stops me from reading but I also hate walking around like a zombie because I stayed up too late reading.

If I wrote an epilogue to this story (view spoiler)

Connie I agree with everything you said!

message 45: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 05, 2014 01:44PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Marnie, I agree with you 100%. Louise needs a real man, but DdM seems to like endings with tortured souls.

Cherie, you have the best part of the book waiting for you tonight. That gives you something to look forward to. :)

I truly loved this book!

message 46: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I'm just recently home from 3 weeks in Malaysia and Cambodia on a family visit... very nice welcome home to find y'all reading this classic favorite and all the favorable comments!

message 47: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I've been wanting to join in (since I also voted for this one) but my version on ebook is just not calling to me. So, I put this one on hold at my library and once I get it I'll join in. I'm looking forward to reading through all the comments once I get started. It sounds like a really good one!

message 48: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19968 comments Tasha wrote: "I've been wanting to join in (since I also voted for this one) but my version on ebook is just not calling to me. So, I put this one on hold at my library and once I get it I'll join in. I'm lookin..."

I am curious about your comment, Tasha. What will the library book bring to this book that is missing from the ebook, except the physical book feel?

message 49: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm not sure. I read both from my kindle and real books but I think sometimes either one calls me more than the other. Not sure what it is, maybe bc it's a classic? Idk. Interesting. :)

message 50: by Cherie (last edited May 06, 2014 11:38AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19968 comments I finished! (view spoiler) It was a good story that had me guessing what was going to happen next, but it is not going to become my favorite. I still think Rebecca was better. I cannot wait to get to Jamaica Inn - in my chunkster list.

LOL, Marnie. I agree with your thoughts on DdM's epilogue although I would wish for your version for Louisa.

« previous 1 3