Writer's Advice and Feedback Group discussion

Ask questions about writing > Romance Advice?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaalvarado) | 24 comments Hey peeps! So, This is my question:

In love stories, do you prefer it being a pre existing crush, or the kind where the characters have just met each other?
And if the latter, then what would you like to see in a book about two characters that already have feelings for each other that would it make it a better read for you?

Thanks for the help, in advance!

message 2: by Runa (new)

Runa (chaotic_moon) I don't know if this might help you, but in my opinion I don't mind if there's a already existing crush or it's a first encounter.
However, if I were you, I wouldn't make love at first sight. It might work for some stories, but it's better to have the feelings develop through out the story. This way you have other paths that you could take, like for example, hate then love, awkward friendship, or I don't know... you should try and be creative.

Nevertheless, it all depends on the kind of love story you're insterested in writting and what kind of personalities do the characters have (if you've already pictured your charries)

Like I said before, this is just my opinion.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaalvarado) | 24 comments Thanks for the input! :)

The story I'm writing is sort of a forbidden love, in which the feelings are mutual but well there are a lot of complications. It's just that many people seem to prefer stories where it's a first encounter.

message 4: by Runa (new)

Runa (chaotic_moon) what kind of complications? and just because other people like something doesn't mean you should just go with the masses. If you want to do something different go ahead.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaalvarado) | 24 comments Oh just story stuff like diferent social status and other things to keep it interesting. I do intend for there to be a pre existing relationship because i just can't picture it being any other way :P personally I do like to read about first time encounters, but if not, I love it when even if they love each other, they can't be together.

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice (alice20) I like it when the characters have just met each other and hate each other at first. I like seeing the relationship development between the characters... In a way I think it makes their story more real and interesting.

message 7: by Cindy ♥ (new)

Cindy ♥ | 111 comments Mod
It really does depend on the story. Sometimes, a pre-existing crush is better because it's more realistic.

But I personally like it when characters meet for the first time in the book and it grows from there. Not insta-love though.

:)

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaalvarado) | 24 comments Got it. So normally, it depends. Thank you a lot guys!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy Thomson | 93 comments Mod
I think, and I know you've already reached a conclusion but like most things in a story it needs to have that element of believability (if that's a real word haha.) Because of that I don't find the insta-love all that good, but like everyone has said its all up to you and the story. xx

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaalvarado) | 24 comments I understand what you mean. Thanks for the advice too. :)