The Jungle Book The Jungle Book discussion

The Jungle Book is underrated.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

brooke1994 I like it though, who agrees?

message 2: by Feliks (last edited Apr 30, 2014 07:35PM) (new) - added it

Feliks for sure. why not?

Anurag There is too much Disney and Anime around the book - so the narrative is often lost on those who have known the story through animations. Whether you want to see the colonial narrative in his writing or not, it is far more than a children's book.

Maxine Agreed. It's a wonderful coming-of-age story that teaches resilience, friendship, and self-reliance, besides being spectacularly well-written. It's a book for everyone, I'd say. And unless you squint, the colonialism is harder to see in this work.

message 5: by Noo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noo The Jungle Books are amazing stories that really should be read by everyone.

Disney has a habit of taking a story and doing something completely different with it, yet titling it under its original. They've done it with Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, ...

I'm just happy that they never ruined Just So Stories.

Breanna Noo wrote: "The Jungle Books are amazing stories that really should be read by everyone.

Disney has a habit of taking a story and doing something completely different with it, yet titling it under its origi..."

That's true...it's really all Disney does. While the Disney version isn't terrible or everything like that, it really strays from the book in terms of message and narrative..

Joel Borden I don't understand the comment that the Jungle Book is underrated. It's considered classic literature and a couple of the short stories in the book have remained popular for many years.