Authors-Readers Connect discussion

Sci-Fi/Fantasy > Self-Promo For Authors

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Kummer | 622 comments Mod
**If your book is in multiple genres, feel free to add it into both. Example: Paranormal Romance could be promoted in both the Horror/etc. folder and the Romance/Love folder**

**If your book doesn't fall into one of these folders and another must be created, please leave a note in the QUESTIONS FOR MODERATOR folder and I will add that genre asap**

In this folder, readers will come to find books for these genres. Feel free to self-promote your work in any reasonable way.

ONE RULE: Please only submit your promotions into the folders that actually coincide for your book. Example: Don't promote a Fantasy book in the Literary/Children's section.

Any promotions are allowed. Make a new thread for a free book giveaway your having, an author event coming up, anything of that sort. And direct your friends back to this group so even more people will see your promotions!!!

message 2: by Cassandra (last edited Oct 18, 2016 07:54AM) (new)

Cassandra Morgan (cassandramorgan) | 30 comments Looks like this thread hasn't been touched in a while. Hopefully I can resurrect it!

With the second book in my series coming out in hopefully a few months, I wanted to open discussions for its prequel, the first book in my Chartile series, "Prophecy."

If you are unfamiliar with it, you can read all of Chapter 1 and part of Chapter 2 for free on my website: http://www.authorcassandramorgan.com/...

There's even an unedited excerpt for book 2 below all of that.

So, please feel free to ask me any questions! Or, you can hop on over to my author page and ask me a question there!

Chartile: Prophecy

message 3: by David (new)

It sounds like a really cool book, and has gotten some good reviews! Since I'm also writing a fantasy novel, I'll ask: How did you go about promoting it? Did you have beta readers, bloggers look at it, anything like that? I'm just looking for tips, because Lord knows I need them!

message 4: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 1055 comments Mod
David, I thought you were writing a sequel to SHE. Do you have a thread about your new fantasy novel?

Along with Cassandra's answer she's about to give, I found being a part of groups and advertising your books in the correct thread did a lot for me; hosting giveaways; and contacting bloggers who are willing do reviews or author interviews or hosts giveaways on their website to their many followers.

Don't laugh, but I also have car magnets with my website and description of my books, along with a picture of one of my covers on it. They really draw attention.

message 5: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Morgan (cassandramorgan) | 30 comments Promoting is hard. You know the phrase, "It takes money to make money"? That is so true.

So, there are 2 tracks of thinking:

1. Put money into advertisements - things like BookBub, Facebook, Goodreads ads, etc. This does get your book in front of more people for sure, which means a higher percentage of people will at least go and check it out. At that point, it's a numbers game. If 1% of every person who sees your add looks at your book, and your ad is guaranteed to reach 1000 people, then at least 10 people will look at it.
You also have the ability to give copies of your book away to bloggers and reviewers in order to get reads and advertising. Even if they hate it, they will mention the title of your book. That means in Google's algorithms, your book title is out there even more. But, it costs money to purchase these copies wholesale, and then ship them to the person.

2. Write more books and Be Present.
Nothing sells book 1 better than book 2. And nothing sells book 2 like book 3.
In short, if you can prove to people you are a dedicated writer (by writing more books), then they will be more likely to invest themselves in you. When you commit to read a book, it's not just about reading the words on the page like when you trudge along reading out loud in history class from the text book. Especially in regards to fiction, your entire body, mind and soul is dedicated to the story and characters. So, for someone to invest themselves in you, that's a big deal. You have to prove you're worth it.
Also, be present. That means participating with other writers and authors. Especially in the indie-book world, we all have to support each other. We read and review each other's books (honestly). We encourage them when they have finally finished their rough draft and help them decide on which cover to go with. If you can build a community of other authors and writers around you - people who not only know your name, but like, know and trust you - then that's almost as good as having a fan base because these people can talk about you to their fan base (no matter how small that might be).

How did *I* Promote my book? Mostly number 2. I did pay to be involved in a few conventions and events, but I used it as an opportunity to network with other authors, and then made sure to stay in contact with them.

The truth is, in this day and age, if you are an indie author, if you have copious amounts of money to throw at advertising, you will definitely get more exposure. But, there is nothing wrong with slow and steady winning the race either. Neither is 100% right or 100% wrong. You have to choose the path that works best for you.

message 6: by David (new)

Thanks Cassandra and Groovy :) That was really helpful information! For my sequel that I'm writing I'm really trying to set some high goals and getting more copies sold early on is a big part of that! I read a really good book about advertising, but for the life of me I can't remember the title...

And yes, Groovy, I'm writing the sequel to SHE but I took a break this week to finish up the first edits for my fantasy novel. I don't have a thread, but now I'll make one! And really, car magnets huh? That's pretty awesome.

message 7: by Groovy (new)

Thanks, David. Can't wait to read about your fantasy book. I think I'm into fantasy, I just never read one. But I look at a lot of fantasy genre movies.

Cassandra, thank-you, also, for that very insightful advice. I couldn't agree more. Very well said:) I love the part where even if a blogger who didn't like your book mentions it, Google's algorithms increases your book's exposure.

message 8: by David (new)

Yeah, that was a great point. I never thought about it like that, but you're absolutely right! About the Google algorithm things. My dad is like a SEO genius. He built a massive blog off of it. Hasn't passed on the secrets to me, yet....

message 9: by Groovy (new)

Well when you do, share!

message 10: by David (new)

I definitely will!

message 11: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Gee | 4 comments Recent rumors concerning faked videos of the first known lunar landing are the gist of the story “Rebekah’s Relative” as published in the June 2018 issue of APHELION WEBZINE.
This story takes about one minute to read!

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/flash...

message 12: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Sang (aspholessaria) | 20 comments This is called self-promo for authors,so here goes. Interesting comments earlier on, though, especially from Cassandra.
I've gone the 'write the next book' route myself. Book 3 of my fantasy series (note to Groovy), The Wolves of Vimar, has now been released. It's called Wolf Moon and is the sequel to The Wolf Pack and The Never-Dying Man.
I've also released a historical novel, Vengeance of a Slave. That was hard work. It needs loads of research. I don't think I fully appreciated how hard it is to write about something based in a historical setting. I take my hat off to all writers of the genre.

message 13: by David (new)

David Grunwell (73581526-david-grunwell) | 8 comments Hello all. My name is David Grunwell and I am a member of Goodreads and I am enjoying it. I am the author of the sci-fi novel THE FALL OF HEAVEN which is available on Amazon in trade paperback (6x9) and on e-book formats.

Visit http://www.fallofheaven.com/ to learn more. I have half-book preview copies available. Let me know if this book sounds interesting.

Writing has been a wild adventure full of real-life thriller elements. I designed the website, book cover, and marketing materials for this and the three other books that are in the works.

About THE FALL OF HEAVEN
Handsome, debonair, and extraordinarily rich, Rolland Newcastle abruptly leaves the life of a celebrity to become a social recluse, shunning the life he once ruled. Years later, he breaks free of his self-imposed exile for a late night walk in the megacity of Heavensport. Someone is waiting, determined to add him to the list of fatal “accidents” that have plagued his family and friends. Stripped of everything he has relied upon, can he survive or will his accident take millions of with him?

In the amazing megacity of Heavensport, robots of every shape and size, leave the 786 million inhabitants free for play, love, and to seek their happiness.

Rolland inherited his troubles from his ancestors, the legal owners of the beautiful planet of New Jerusalem. After cryrosleeping for 223 years, they found that technological advances had allowed squatters’ ships to make the journey in just 3.5 years.

Arriving 200 years later, they found an established world that didn’t want them. The Fall of Heaven was just the start.

Does this sound like an interesting story? Let me know your impressions and suggestions.

message 14: by David (new)

That story was fascinating C.E.! The moon landing stuff has always been interesting to me.

Thanks for posting Vivienne and David! I've already read Vengeance of a Slave, but I'll have to check your book out too, David.

message 15: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Merritt | 11 comments Principles of Magic (Son of the Keeper #1) by R.S. Merritt is the first book in the Son of the Keeper trilogy. All three book are currently available on Amazon. It's the story of a young boy growing up in a lighthouse who discovers he has the potential to be something more than most people ever even dream.

A series full of magic and swords and sorcery. Humor and love and horror get mixed in as well. Give it a read and let me know what you think!

https://www.amazon.com/Son-Keeper-Boo...

message 16: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Gee | 4 comments All of my very popular Science Fiction stories of “Margaret as University Professor” have been gathered together in one blog post. Although Science Fiction, some of these stories deal with and correct what happened in history. ENJOY!

Please GOTO

https://kinzuakid.blogspot.com/2018/1...

message 17: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Sang (aspholessaria) | 20 comments Hey, David. I know you've read Vengeance, but is there any chance you could do a review of it? Getting reviews is like wringing blood from a stone. People will quite happily give the star rating, but write anything...? I am desperate for reviews on all my books, as it goes. The most I've got for any one book is 2!
Anyone else out there who has read, or wants to read, my books, I would be eternally grateful for a review.
The Wolf Pack, http://myBook.to/The WolfPack
The Never-Dying Man http://myBook.to/NeverDying
WolfMoon http://myBook.to/WolfMoonVM
The Stones of Earth and Air http://mybook.to/EarthAndAir
The Stones of Fire and Water http://mybook.to/StonesOfFire
Vengeance of a Slave http://mybook.to/VengeanceofaSlave
Viv's Family Recipes http://mybook.to/FamilyRecipes

This is called self-promotion, after all! :-))

message 18: by Dave (new)

Dave Williams | 6 comments I am Dave J. Williams, the author of 'Sword'. This is my first book ever published and is actually self-published. I am hoping to gain readers so I can also expand this into a series.

Go on an epic Middle Age journey and venture into the kingdom of Sineria. Here, you'll find Samuel Charlie Grace. Sam lived a life less fortunate than most other children his age. One day though, his luck seems to change for the better when he meets an eccentric wizard. The sorcerer tells Sam about an abandoned land that still harbored golden coins and gems, which would make Sam's life better. He gives Sam a robust sword created years ago by a powerful enchanter and sends him off. Sam, with his hound, Max, go to look for this land. While they're gone, the powerful enchanter takes over the kingdom, trying to get what he feels belongs to him. He turns Sineria into a place of misery and misfortune. Sam and Max are doing their best to survive the dangers outside of their once tranquil home. Is the sword alone enough to protect them? Will Sineria go back to the peaceful kingdom it once was? Dive into this adventure of friendship, fun, and action to find out.

If you're into Medieval times, fantasy novels, and things relating to this, you will enjoy 'Sword'. Below is the link that will lead you to your Medieval adventure! Thank you.
https://www.amazon.com/Sword-David-Wi...

message 19: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Romeo Hello there! My name's Matthew Romeo and I'm the author of "The Maven Knight", which is my first self-published book on Amazon. I'm looking to introduce more readers to this sci-fi series which has no shortage of action, lore, humor, romance, and mystery in its pages.

Tálir is a scavenger who is arrested for owning a high tech and mystical suit of armor. Sarina is a city brewer who is abducted by a sinister Order and given a memory wipe to conceal the circumstances of her capture. The pair discover a conspiracy surrounding their imprisonment as they are transported to the bowels of civilization. When their vessel crashes, they’re forced to work together along with a band of misfits to survive the harsh environment. Nanite storms and roving bands of raiders threaten them at every turn. Along the way, Tálir discovers more properties of his armor with the help of an old hermit while Sarina tries to piece together her lost memories.

If you're a fan of fantasy elements in a science fiction book, you'll have a fun time reading this book. Thank you so much, and happy reading out there!
https://www.amazon.com/Maven-Knight-T...

message 20: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Merritt | 11 comments Book 6 Of the Zombies! Series Now Live on Amazon!

description

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087LBTB94/

Enjoy the ride!!!

Check out the whole series!

A Small World (Zombies! #1) by R.S. Merritt Against the Current (Zombies! #2) by R.S. Merritt Violence Solves Everything (Zombies! #3) by R.S. Merritt Nowhere To Hide (Zombies! #4) by R.S. Merritt Greater Love Hath No Man (Zombies! #5) by R.S. Merritt

message 21: by Douglas (last edited Jun 10, 2020 06:18PM) (new)

Douglas Murphy | 3 comments Hi!

My name is Douglas Murphy, and I recently wrote and published Umbral Ten, a dark(ish) fantasy novel following a young mage, Theodosia 'Theo' Archmail, as she wakes up to find herself flung ten years into the future, into a world where the continent has been taken over by the Blood Moon Church and the mysterious Primarch.

Banding together with a mercenary, a demon, a knight, a secretive nun, and a librarian, the six set out to get their bearings in this new future, and to escape the attentions of the Blood Moon Inquisition, which, led by an old friend of Theo's, has turned its eye to the island they've found themselves on.

It's available on Amazon here!

I had a lot of fun writing this, and so far it's been pretty positively reviewed by the few people who have reviewed it, with one five star reader review, one extra five star rating on UK Amazon, and one five star review from Reader's Favorite (with two more reviews from them that I'm still waiting on).

It's currently available on Kindle Unlimited, too! So if you feel like reading something new, that's a good way to read it for free (and it helps me out, too, since borrowing on KU pushes it up Amazon's search algorithms).

Umbral Ten
Umbral Ten (Khaldaia Chronicles #1) by Douglas Murphy

message 22: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Romeo Hello there!

My name is Matthew Romeo and I'm the self-published author of The Maven Knight and The Maven Knight: Ones of Aster. I'm running a free eBook promotion from July 31st to August 2nd where both novels will be free to download on Kindle.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/Maven-Knight-T...

Tálir, a scavenger with a mystical heritage. Sarina, a brewer with a hidden past. Two individuals with a shared bond: they must save the world.

A thousand years ago, the Old World was destroyed by the Ending. The legendary Maven Knights of order were turned into legends. Now, an ancient malevolence seeks to bring chaos and violence to the New World's three nations. Governments within these nations squabble as the poor suffer, bands of Outlanders raid supply convoys, and Nanite storms roam leaving nothing but blackened corpses in their wake. The only salvation for the New World is the legendary fortress of Providence: a place of untold power.

Drawn into the chaotic world, the pair must unite with a band of survivors in an effort to stop the growing threats. With weapons, skills, and an old mentor to guide them, the group sets off on a quest to unearth Providence. Along the way, they will discover more about themselves, the Mavens, and the nefarious Order pursuing them. But most of all, the mythic powers of the Maven Knights must be rediscovered.

Two heroes. One journey.

message 23: by R.S. (last edited Oct 11, 2020 09:32PM) (new)

R.S. Merritt | 11 comments Crawlerz now available on Amazon!!

description

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08...

Enjoy the ride!!!

message 24: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Scholl | 3 comments Hey guys! Finished and finally published my first new adult High Fantasy. It's up and available on Amazon, my only ask is that if you enjoy it, please leave a review! If you have some constructive criticism, I'd love to hear it through a private message here on Goodreads!

Shroud Rising The Eirdynn Realm by Nicholas M Scholl

Keian is the sheltered son of a blacksmith in Ferald, a kingdom harboring dark secrets and a bloody past. The common life he lives is squalid at best, but that all changes when Keian is caught fighting the Prince in the market streets. Narrowly escaping King Garrick's punishment, Keian is sentenced to guard the walls with Ferald's army. His father is furious, but Keian relishes the idea of finally seeing what lies beyond the walls.

His delight doesn't last.

Suddenly accused of regicide, Keian is forcibly exiled from his home with naught but his father's parting advice: "Beware of the shadows in the mountains."

From dragon’s cave to mountain depths, Keian desperately tries to earn his way back into the good graces of King Garrick the Bear—but as his father’s secret shakes the very foundations of the Eirdynn Realm, Keian can’t help but wonder if there’ll be anything left of Ferald to save when he returns. If… if he returns.

Link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Shroud-Rising-...

message 25: by R.S. (new)

message 26: by K.A. (last edited Nov 03, 2021 11:38AM) (new)

K.A. Clark | 4 comments I have the first episode of my episodic Urban Fantasy series called "Reversion" available on Amazon Kindle Direct. The first episode is named Blank Slate. It follows an unnamed protagonist that wakes up in a crater in the concrete after an apparently long fall into a back alley. He has to find his place in a world of supernatural danger and twisted myths and legends. The next episode is nearing completion, so watch for "Into the Wyld" as well.

available at: https://www.amazon.com/Blank-Slate-K-...