Broken BookClub discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Broken (new)

Broken  Bookshelf (thebrokenbookshelf) | 36 comments Mod
Use this thread to share your thoughts on Part 1! No spoilers from the rest of the book please :)

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Bryan | 13 comments It was interesting trying to piece together what the connection between Michael and Charlie were. I'm wanting to know more about the strong bond that Charlie and aunt Helen have and why it's so important.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (booknester) I am interested in the mysterious "she" that said for Charlie to write to the mysterious "Dear Friend". However, I can't believe all the social issues that have already been raised in just part one.. teenage suicide, alcohol and drug abuse, physical abuse, bullying, and homosexuality, my head is spinning. But am I the only that is not quite understanding why a 14/15 year old young man in an honors English class would be writing letters which sound so very young and immature (aside from the topics being discussed)? However when he imitates what he thinks is a freshman in college, he sounds so correct and appropriate? I did like the following quote:
"Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it's no excuse."

message 4: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie (kittycornerwriter) | 14 comments Mod
I am loving this book. I love that all of these social issues/topics are being brought up, and I think that's what's going to make me devour the rest of this book. One of my favourite parts about part 1 is his feelings on the topic of rape. As naive as he seems to be, he was able to recognize that that's what it was, even though the girl still went along with it. I understand why Chbosky didn't have Charlie do anything about it (because what is a 10 year old going to do in a situation like that?) but I'm glad he knew that what was going on was wrong and it's a good thing for young adults to read and hear that it's wrong. Speaking of that... who does that in front of a 10 year old??????

In reply to Rebecca, I wouldn't be surprised in Charlie had some minor form of autism like Asperger's or something. He lives in his head a lot and seems to need time to process things so it could be signs of an underlying mental disorder. I don't particularly see the writing as younger than 15. There's a lot of notes I passed around around that age that I've held on to and it seems very immature to me now but it didn't then.

Another one of my favourite topics brought up in this section was the issue of "men don't cry" - and I'm really glad that Charlie cries. I'm sad that he has to cry, but I love that the main character is a male that cries. It breaks down those barriers of what's sadly expected of being a boy in our society.

I seriously have so many feelings about this book already ^_^

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." - WHAT A WAY TO END THE SECTION!!!! (<----- feelings :p )

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (booknester) Kirstie wrote: "I am loving this book. I love that all of these social issues/topics are being brought up, and I think that's what's going to make me devour the rest of this book. One of my favorite parts about p..." I was wondering if that is something that comes up later that perhaps Charlie is on the Autism Spectrum.