The Magical Universe of Books discussion

The Art of Poetry > Rhyme or no rhyme

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Francine, Look who the books dragged in (new)

Francine | 1437 comments Interesting. I was reading this discussion about poetry, rhyme VS non rhyme.
Why is it so important? as long as someone can convey a feeling?
me thinking aloud....

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments I am definitely a no-rhymer as you know. I prefer to let the rhythm convey the message, as rhyme+metre often leads to the worst sort of greeting-card verse. And it's not just today. Some of the famous poets like Surrey and Wyatt et al were known for forcing rhymes, so you got things like "the wind" being rhymed with "find" and such as that.

Have you ever read e e cummings, Frenchie? With him it's not only no-rhyme, but how it looks on the page. Which made a blind person tell me that he thought blind people had a better experience of cummings' work (in braille) than sighted people.

message 3: by Denise (last edited Mar 08, 2016 06:29AM) (new)

Denise Baer Poetry is subjective. Unfortunately, many literary magazines do not accept rhyme poetry. I like reading and writing both. Some consider rhyme poetry to be amateurish. One rhymed poetry book I would definitely recommend is The Brubury Tales. Awesome in itself!

I'm not a devout poetry reader or writer, but I want to be able to understand poetry when I do either. I find some non-rhyme poetry lacks emotion yet they make it into literary magazines. Along with lacking emotion, some poets go a bit overboard and the poem begins to not make sense to an average reader. Then again, I want to enjoy a poem. I don't want to have to do research to understand it.