Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Criminal (Will Trent, #6)
This topic is about Criminal
Book Issues > Please merge Audible editions

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeff | 959 comments Please merge the Audible Audio editions of this book. They are the same edition, but neither one contains all of the details.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Details should be:
Title: Criminal (Will Trent #6)
Author(s): Karin Slaughter (Goodreads Author), Kathleen Early (Narrator)
Published July 3rd 2012 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.
ASIN: B008GZWLQC
Format: Audible Audio
Page count: 16
Edition: Unabridged
Edition language: English

Thank you.

Jeff | 959 comments It doesn't look like this one was done yet, but this is another one I posted before I knew that editions with different pictures aren't supposed to be merged.

If these can't be merged, can the ASIN be moved to the second one? It has the correct picture and details for the Audible Audio edition, according to audible.com. Both seem like they were supposed to be the Audible edition, but the first one has a different publication date and publisher than it shows on audible.com, and a different picture although the picture says "Audible audio edition". It's also missing the narrator and page count.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41693 comments Mod
Jeff wrote: "If these can't be merged, can the ASIN be moved to the second one?"

We don't move ASINs or ISBNs, but it can be marked as an alternate cover edition. (http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85...)

Jeff | 959 comments Ok, makes sense. But which cover should be with the ASIN, and which one with the alternate cover edition? Shouldn't the one on Amazon/Audible be with the ASIN?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The one first entered in the database with the ASIN (or ISBN) keeps it, unless there is definitive evidence that the cover was never correct.

The one exception is for ARCs, which would not apply here.

Jeff | 959 comments I'm not sure. I've been using Audible for years and don't recall ever seeing cover pictures with headphones like that on the site. I've seen them occasionally on goodreads but not really sure where they come from. At least once I remember a librarian replacing one with the cover from Audible.com.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It could also have come from Amazon.

Jeff | 959 comments Maybe...they've used the same ones for as long as I can remember, but it could have been different at some point.

message 9: by Melanti (last edited Mar 18, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Melanti | 761 comments Rivka, I think those earphones with the audible audio logo were the equivalent of that old look inside arrow for Audible books on Amazon.

That they weren't really part of the cover so much as an overlay that amazon slapped over every audible edition on their site, much like they put look inside logo over the print editions.

The earphone logo thingy never actually appeared on Audible itself or on the audiobook once you bought and downloaded it, and if you clicked to zoom in on the cover on Amazon, the logo disappeared.

Does that make a difference?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Melanti wrote: "Rivka, I think those earphones with the audible audio logo were the equivalent of that old look inside arrow for Audible books on Amazon."

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's a good point. In that case, if they are really otherwise identical, it should be ok to merge them.

message 11: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments Whew!
I know I did that a couple of times long ago when those overlays were still in use, and I'd hate to think I'd screwed things up.

I looked closely and didn't see any other differences between the covers besides resolution and that overlay, so I went ahead and merged them and added the missing details to the one with the ASIN.

message 12: by Jeff (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeff | 959 comments Thanks - however Audible and Amazon show Published July 3rd 2012 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. It does say AudioGo on the cover and there was a relationship between the two companies, so I'm not sure what should be used.

message 13: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments I looked that up yesterday and it's a bit complicated and involves mergers, bankruptcy, buy-outs, etc... I didn't really understand the full story, but it seems that they were probably operating under the name AudioGo when they published this book, and Blackstone currently owns the US AudioGo assets though I doubt the name is still in active use as an imprint.

I imagine the publication date records got messed up at some point during one of the transfers of assets.

message 14: by Jeff (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeff | 959 comments Yeah I was looking that up too, kinda confusing. It made me wonder if there might be a UK version that was behind discrepancy with the dates, and amazon.co.uk does have an edition with a different narrator (not with a British accent, though, as I expected) but the pub date on that one is also July 2012. Blackstone also shows July 3 2012 for all formats of the audiobook.