The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

Bleak House
This topic is about Bleak House
The Dickens Project - Archives > Bleak House By Dickens. Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Hey there.

All things should come to an end, and even our Dickens hiatus is not an exception:-)

To be brief, here is the schedule that is only tentative, and I am open to your suggestions, and if you want to start later or read more or less per week, I will be happy to change. Follwoing our previous tradition, we will be reading roughly 50-55 pages per week. According to this schedule, we will read fewer pages, and twice more than fifty pages, but the load seems to be manageable. I hope old and new members will join in, and the discussion will be lively.

05/12 - Chapters I - V (1-5)
05/19 - Chapters VI - IX (6-9)
05/26 - Chapters X - XIII (10-13)
06/02 - Chapters XIV - XVII (14-17)
06/09 - Chapters XVIII - XXI (18-21)
06/16 - Chapters XXII - XXV (22-25)
06/23 - Chapters XXVI - XXX (26-30)
06/30 - Chapters XXXI - XXXIV (31-34)
07/07 - Chapters XXXV - XXXVIII (35-38)
07/14 - Chapters XXXIX - XLIII (39-43)
07/21 - Chapters XLIV - XLIX (44-49)
07/28 - Chapters L - LIV (50-54)
08/04 - Chapters LV - LIX (55-59)
08/11 - Chapters LX - LXVII (60-67)

Please sign in if you are willing to participate. Looking forward to our new old discussions.

Renee M | 747 comments I'm in. This is such a great one!

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Apr 30, 2014 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 269 comments Count me in! I appreciate the average of 50 pages per week since I am always reading several books at once. I am really looking forward to this novel!

Linda | 228 comments I'm a new member of this group and would love to join in reading Bleak House with you. This will be my first major Dickens read, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments I am sure you will like it, Linda! Renee and Sarah, welcome back! :-)

message 6: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2032 comments Mod
I'm in. I have never read this novel and I don't think I've ever seen a production of it either. This amount of pages is fine.

Hedi | 938 comments I am also in, might have a little difficulty with keeping up with the schedule in the first 4 weeks, but then I will just catch up as usual. :-)
I am really looking forward to this one, which I have neither read nor seen as a movie/ tv adaptation yet.

Hedi | 938 comments Zulfiya, thanks for the schedule. It looks fine to me - sorry forgot to post that.

message 9: by Elsbeth (new) - added it

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) I never read anything by Charles Dickens, so I'll try to join you on this one. But when I do, I'll probably read it all 'at once', because I found out by trying to read The Idiot in pieces, that I find it very hard to keep on reading after stopping for awhile. (I still haven't finished the Idiot....).

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Elsbeth, feel free to participate in any form you like. It is all about personal tastes and how the book is individually 'digested'. Because the novels written by Dickens are usually huge, and there are so many of them, so I personally find it hard to read all of them quickly, so we slowly read them and discuss them by smaller portions.

On the other hand, if someone wants to read only one or two books, it is always easier to read them non-stop.

Reading strategies, you know :-)

Renee M | 747 comments I'm giving a two thumbs up recommendation to the Librivox recording by Mil Nicholson (called Version 3). She's quite wonderful! (Also, it's free and can be downloaded easily.)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I'm in as well! Already purchased the book.

message 13: by Thaïs (new) - added it

Thaïs (thaisreads) I'm in! I already have the book and ready to go!

Christopher | 1 comments I'm starting this with an audible version. In the past, I've been unable to resist reading ahead and finishing.

Renee M | 747 comments Christopher-

I'm a big audio fan, but I'll typically get a physical copy or ebook, as well, so I can reference for discussion. Especially if I get ahead of the group. There are plenty of free electronic versions of Bleak House, since it's in the public domain.

Wanda (wanda514) I am in, too. I do have one question - is 12 MAY the start date for reading or should I have read Chaps. I-V by 12 MAY? I appreciate the schedule (it is perfect for my long work hours and for taking of elderly, disabled parents on the week-ends). Many thanks.

message 17: by Shoshi (new)

Shoshi (shoshi13) | 3 comments I was watching the movie first ! Dickens is describing Londons gritty, dirty, corrupt and prejudice under the ranks so good !

message 18: by Elsbeth (new) - added it

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) Zulfiya wrote: "Elsbeth, feel free to participate in any form you like. It is all about personal tastes and how the book is individually 'digested'. Because the novels written by Dickens are usually huge, and ther..."

Thanks, I'll just see how I will get along...

message 19: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma (emmalaybourn) | 298 comments I'd like to join you on this one, though like Hedi I may have a bit of catching up to do initially: I'm working my way through Middlemarch, and I still haven't finished the Idiot :(

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Wanda wrote: "I am in, too. I do have one question - is 12 MAY the start date for reading or should I have read Chaps. I-V by 12 MAY? I appreciate the schedule (it is perfect for my long work hours and for ta..."

Wanda, May 12 is when I post a thread for the discussion. You can post either during this week or after. It is usually a very informal and friendly discussion. Some of us, including me, may fall behind for a while but because the sections are relatively small, it is easy to catch up.

message 21: by Pip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pip | 468 comments I'd love to reread Bleak House along with you as I think it's one of Dickens' outstanding novels in many ways. Those of you who have never read it are in for SUCH a treat, and I envy you reading it for the first time!
Unfortunately, I almost certainly won't have the time to read along :-(
What I'll try and do, though, is to keep up with your discussion and chip in here and there if I can.

message 22: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2032 comments Mod
Pip wrote: "I'd love to reread Bleak House along with you as I think it's one of Dickens' outstanding novels in many ways. Those of you who have never read it are in for SUCH a treat, and I envy you reading it..."

It's fine to join in if you've read the book before. I may do that with Middlemarch, which I love but don't want to take the time to reread with everything else I'm reading.

message 23: by Meagan (new) - added it

Meagan | 0 comments I'll be joining in for this book!

Linda | 228 comments I may be be a little late to the first discussion or two, but will catch up.

message 25: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (lisadannatt) Gonna try it, let's see

Sarah | 269 comments Lisa wrote: "Gonna try it, let's see"

Yay, Lisa! :-)

message 27: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (lisadannatt) Sarah wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Gonna try it, let's see"

Yay, Lisa! :-)"

Won't be able to join in in May, hope to catch up in June

Jackie | 5 comments Count me in! I know I'm a little late In joining but would love to discuss this book! I'm a senior majoring in English and taking the summer off to work! Would live to read another dickens book!!

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 1596 comments Any time is fine, Jackie!

The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Idiot (other topics)