Writers of Color Book Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > April 2016 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adira (last edited Mar 07, 2016 12:54PM) (new)

Adira (introvertinterrupted) | 391 comments Mod
What would you like the theme for April's group read to be? The theme with the most seconds will be the one chosen for the month. Members have until Friday, March 11, 2016, to option up their selections.

message 2: by Sicily (new)

Sicily  (sicilyjoy) | 4 comments Civil rights era( woman/women )

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Cecily wrote: "Civil rights era( woman/women )"

This sounds good

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments I have an idea for a book for Civil Rights women if it gets chosen. The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks by Jeanne Theoharis. I went to one of her talks and she's an intelligent person. I also believe her book won an NAACP award.

message 5: by Adira (new)

Michael wrote: "I have an idea for a book for Civil Rights women if it gets chosen. The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks by Jeanne Theoharis. I went to one of her talks and she's an intelligent person. I also be..."

E wrote: "Well if we're nominating books, too..."

We've got a few more days til we nominate books officially, but it's looking like civil rights stories based around women will likely be our theme.

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison Gresik (alison_gresik) | 10 comments I'll second Civil Rights era women.

Note that Jeanne Theoharis is not a writer of color.

message 7: by Adira (new)

The theme for April is the civil rights era (women/woman stories). Nominations for books to read under this topic will end on Wednesday, March 16, 2016.

message 8: by Adira (new)

Cecily wrote: "Civil rights era( woman/women )"

Do you mean only American Civil Rigts Movement or can it be from any country who had a civil rights movement?

message 9: by Ginger (new)

Ginger (gingerrachelle) I nominate Meridian by Alice Walker

message 10: by Alison (new)

message 11: by Sicily (new)

Sicily  (sicilyjoy) | 4 comments I meant American Civil rights era cause I'm aware women are overlooked.

message 12: by Adira (last edited Mar 13, 2016 11:13PM) (new)

I nominate Caucasia by Danzy Senna.

message 13: by Adira (new)

Cecily wrote: "I meant American Civil rights era cause I'm aware women are overlooked."

Cool! Thank you for helping me clarify that.

message 14: by Adira (new)

Michael wrote: "I have an idea for a book for Civil Rights women if it gets chosen. The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks by Jeanne Theoharis. I went to one of her talks and she's an intelligent person. I also be..."

E wrote: "Well if we're nominating books, too..."

If you all are still interested in nominating books feel free to do so now.

Michael, since Cecily intended for the topic to highlight women of the Civil Rights movements since their stories are notoriously left out of that time period's history, your book is sufficient even though it's written by an author who's not a POC.