Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
1117 views
Archive > #InternationalWomensDay

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon Kuhn | 223 comments Hello guys, how are you all doing?

So, I've been waiting for this day since march last year (when OSS didn't exist).
It's a special day for women all around the world and because we have this group, where we can talk about equality and dignity for women, I though it would be a great idea to let everyone know it's that day of the year again: International Womens Day!

Emma also tweeted about this, in case you didn't see it and she asked about what you are going to do tomorrow for this special day where people (yes indeed, not only women!) celebrate the respect, appreciation and love for women. (https://twitter.com/EmWatson/status/7...)

It's maybe not a day like christmas, where we all sit together and eat dinner, but it's more like a day, for me, where we can all think about the hard times women had to go trough. Tomorrow we need to make some time to show our biggest appreciation towards women for having such a strenght in the times they had it difficult!

Give your wife or girlfriend a kiss, your female friends a hug or thank your mom for everything she's done for you and let them know that women are as equal and strong as men and that we can all make this world better, if we do it together!

-Simon <3


message 2: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Savannah (dssharris) | 321 comments Mod
In honor of this day, I would like to share a quick link of woman we may not have heard of, but definitely should have.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle/sm...

Also, I love your post, Simon! <3



message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon Kuhn | 223 comments Savannah wrote: "In honor of this day, I would like to share a quick link of woman we may not have heard of, but definitely should have.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle/sm...-..."


Thanks for sharing yout link! -Guys definitely check it out :)
Also a big thank you for just responding x


message 4: by Ashwin (new)

Ashwin (ashiot) | 215 comments Savannah wrote: "In honor of this day, I would like to share a quick link of woman we may not have heard of, but definitely should have.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle/sm...-..."


I was going to share this very thing in our group, you beat me to it!

Coming to the topic, good thoughts Simon! But personally I am against the concept of women's day. I think it only has a symbolic value and nothing more. In fact, in gender equal society that we aspire, a day to celebrate a single gender seems discriminative. But those are my thoughts. As far as what I'll do on that particular day, I will continue doing what I do everyday which is to treat every human being as a human being irrespective of gender / religion / race / etc. to which I have made myself blind.


message 5: by Kressel (last edited Mar 07, 2016 01:34PM) (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Sister Elizabeth Kenny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOX_e...

(She was a nurse, not a nun.)


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashwin wrote: "Coming to the topic, good thoughts Simon! But personally I am against the concept of women's day. I think it only has a symbolic value and nothing more. In fact, in gender equal society that we aspire, a day to celebrate a single gender seems discriminative. "

My thoughts exactly. It also seems to support gender binary. If there is a day for non-binary genders, I have not heard of it.


message 7: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Tocco | 50 comments Wow!!!!! These thoughts are very deep. I really appreciate your point of view Simon, it's significant that in this year people are waking up and think at last at this Day.
Unfortunately I comprehend those who say 8th of March is just a day like Saint Valentine's Day where consumerism reigns, because we're all grew up with this consideration in our brains. Therefore I understand them ( but Valentines's Day is important for me!! Hahah)

I grew up, even though my parents are divorced, seeing my dad giving me and my mum flowers and chocolates saying "you're special" so for me this day is as important as it was years ago when I was a child, and now I'm very very glad to know I'm not the only one thinking this way!!!!! :) :)

Thanks a lot all of you!! And obviously big thanks to Emma!! :)

Sabina.


message 8: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Tocco | 50 comments A nurse!!!!!! Yeeees!!! Hahaha thank you Kodak :D ( yeah I know I'm not crazy, I'm just studying nursing :D)


Agnes Szalkowska | 386 comments Happy international women's day. Girls !!!

May the force be with you ;)


message 10: by Romina (new)

Romina Scianatico | 37 comments I'm super excited for tomorrow!! I've got a complete game plan and am anxiously waiting to start ticking things off my list. ( :

------------------------

International Women's Day (8 March 2016) Game Plan:

1.) Proudly don my HeForShe pin and my "This is what a feminist looks like" sweater all day
2.) Hug my mum
3.) Wish everyone who IDENTIFIES (this is so important because gender is not binary and everyone needs to be included - trans or gender fluid or cis, colored or white, disabled, old or young, etc.) as female a happy and empowering day
4.) Thank every woman and feminist who ever inspired me to do anything
5.) Finish reading "Love" by Toni Morrison
6.) Start reading "All About Love: New Visions" by bell hooks
7.) Dance a little because Gloria Steinem suggests it, though I am taking it more as a requirement...I have got a playlist and everything - Beyoncé, Patti Smith, Spice Girls, Taylor Swift, and heaps more!
8.) Watch the HeForShe inaugural ceremony for Arts Week in New York

------------------------

What are you going to do tomorrow?


message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) I write an entry foy a feminist blog I have among other people that is going to be published tomorrow. (La hora del té. It's in spanish but if someone is interested...)

I have no other plans, but I'll see how the day goes. I probably end up explaining why the International Women's Day Exists, but I don't mind at all doing so. It'll probably be a good day,


message 12: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Kimball (gaylekimball) http://www.internationalwomensday.com...

This is something we can all do on the 8th, and encourage our network to sign on.


message 13: by Simon (new)

Simon Kuhn | 223 comments Thank you all for your replies!
Hope you have a wonderful day and keep strong! <3 Simon


message 14: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Tocco | 50 comments Best wishes to all of the women in here! <3 :)


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Kodak wrote: "I have no idea what I'm doing, all I know is that I'm at uni trying to write my essay:



Discuss and define the significance of the gaze within western contemporary visual culture, commentin..."


Gaze at the teacher who told you to write it and analyze your individual perception upon him/her :D


message 16: by Vale (new)

Vale | 7 comments Happy Women's Day! Cheers to every woman in the planet... For that ones that are brave enough to live and keep up with society. And to all of us, who are fighting this hard battle.


message 17: by Mehar (new)

Mehar | 21 comments A very happy women's day to all the girls and women......no plans for the day since I have an exam tom. ( :( ).................but there is indeed a lot I would like to say......firstly when we open the google homepage and click on the "play" sign inside the "O" of google, a video starts playing and I think it's a fabulous one.....women all around the world should never for a second feel that they are less than anyone ,...it's in our power to keep the world going on and our sole right to rejoice in this power...............I would say all of us should dream as big as one possibly can and work to achieve all our dreams......there will be opression and struggle - a lot of it but hey that's what we are fighting against....keep going and I know the day will cum wen we won't have to fight for equal ryts.....the world will cum to terms with the fact that we, indeed are equals.................we are book- lovers hare....we all know that fairytales have happy endings........so friends real life can too.......................................the mantra - keep believing, dreaming and moving



together we shall work for a better tomorrow....in fact the best tomorrow



believe that morning will dawn too which will sing of freedom, that Sun will rise too that will glow with the light of equality


message 18: by Mehar (new)

Mehar | 21 comments Ashwin wrote: "Savannah wrote: "In honor of this day, I would like to share a quick link of woman we may not have heard of, but definitely should have.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle/sm...%..."

hey there is a men's day too!!
it is being celebrated since 1982, here is the link if you want to read more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...


message 19: by Mehar (new)

Mehar | 21 comments Savannah wrote: "In honor of this day, I would like to share a quick link of woman we may not have heard of, but definitely should have.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle/sm...-..."


thanks a lot for sharing! this was great


message 20: by Bunny (new)

Bunny Best wishes to all the women identified people on Women's Day!


message 21: by Luckness Rabbit (last edited Mar 08, 2016 07:27AM) (new)

Luckness Rabbit | 10 comments I agree with Ashwin, I´m against international days in general but against this one in particular because I think that it means that women´s equality is not a common thing, it seems to me that it is "at risk".

Apart from that, today I have to work so it is going to be a normal day, but I´m thinking of buying myself a new feminist book or a purple flower, just for the pleasure of it. Also, I was thinking of starting "The color purple" because it arrived yesterday, at last.

I wanted to share a link to a feminist web page that every year publishes a printed magazine with all the interesting articles, interviews, gatherings and artistic recommendations.
(It is in Spanish but it is worth it in my opinion).

http://www.pikaramagazine.com


message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen (helen2u) | 306 comments Romina wrote: "I'm super excited for tomorrow!! I've got a complete game plan and am anxiously waiting to start ticking things off my list. ( :

International Women's Day (8 March 2016) ..."

I want a HEFORSHE pin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


message 23: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Hello everybody, and happy International Women's Day! To be honest, each and every day should be a valid one to defend our beliefs, as I'm sure many of you are thinking on this particular day. However, it is a special day in the calendar after all, and this will be the first year that I actually do celebrate it intently. There's a rally in my hometown and I think I'm gonna try and go, might take some pics and post them here later, if it's appropriate, of course. :)

Oh, and I'm also celebrating by shaking my head with some of the comments that I'm reading on Facebook for this article in The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/...

There's this lovely man who gave me some unsolicited advice to do something about my hair in my profile pic, because apparently I'm looking frumpy. He also called me luv. LOL, alrighty, man. Because we have reached equality already, of course.


message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Ana wrote: "Hello everybody, and happy International Women's Day! To be honest, each and every day should be a valid one to defend our beliefs, as I'm sure many of you are thinking on this particular day. Howe..."

His mind has to be truly complex is he has time to care about your hair.


message 25: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Yeah, well, you know, some people just can't do much more better than that. I found it so amusing, like, hey, you will never know but this is why there is such a word as feminism, and it's only one of the less urging reasons, you poor thing.


message 26: by Simon (new)

Simon Kuhn | 223 comments Again thanks everyone for sharing your opinions on this subject. I totally understand the way some of you think about this day and I somewhat get your point. For me this is just no day like normal, and I just wanted to make that statement :) still hope you all had a lovely fay wether you celebrated this moment or not!

-Simon <3


message 27: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Here's another woman to learn about: Sarah Schneirer, the founder of formal education for Jewish girls:

https://www.facebook.com/LipaSchmeltz...

There's a lot of Jewish jargon here, so if someone wants more of an explanation, let me know.


message 28: by Aikya (new)

Aikya Happy Women's day people. Wishing you all happy and successful life ahead.


message 29: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Trofimencoff | 48 comments Happy International Women's Day to all of you! Here's a shout out the some of the famous women in my country's history:

http://www.canadashistory.ca/Magazine...


message 30: by MeerderWörter (last edited Mar 10, 2016 02:13AM) (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Happy International Women's Day to everyone who IDENTIFIES as female. One should concentrate on oneself every day, but sometimes, we need a day to be reminded of it, that the fight we fight is worth the fight we and others fight. (Wow, what an alliteration.)

I didn't do anything special today since I had to work today, but next year I'll definitely do something.


message 31: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Pearson | 20 comments Happy International Women's Day! I've recently been getting into TED talks, so when I saw this on Twitter, I thought that some of you would like it. It features Roxanne Gray, who wrote Bad Feminist (which I have been dying to get my hands on). She was just so relatable to me.

https://www.ted.com/talks/roxane_gay_...


message 32: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 72 comments Thanks for the link! Have a great day y'all ☺️


message 33: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Speaking of TEDtalks, here's yesterday's:

Reshma Saujani: Teach girls bravery, not perfection
http://www.ted.com/talks/reshma_sauja...


message 34: by Tiara (new)

Tiara Pearson | 20 comments Loved that TED Talk as well!!


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

u can check this video out as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI25v...


message 36: by Paula (new)

Paula | 45 comments Happy International Women's Day to all women all over the world! You are amazing! Keep going and don't give up on the fight we battle everyday for gender equality!


message 37: by Björn (last edited Mar 09, 2016 07:20PM) (new)

Björn Emland (bjorne) | 8 comments About 40 years ago the UN furthered The International Womens' Day together with the International Womens' Year 1975, followed by International Womens' Decade 1976-85. Maybe there would be a need for another such a year of focus on important issues and solutions, as a day doesn't last that long..? Would that seem like something interesting, an EQuality Year?

By the way, you may have seen Emma lit up the Empire State Building in N.Y. in a loving magenta color in honor of the day and to open the HeForShe Arts Week: https://twitter.com/HeforShe/status/7... .


message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Miller (rosethorn7) | 123 comments Happy International's Women's Day! To all of the wonderful girls and women facing and fighting gender inequality!


message 39: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Sturrock | 33 comments Great little video from the Guardian showing some inspirational women from all aspects of Feminism, well worth a watch.

https://www.facebook.com/theguardian/...


message 40: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments This is an interesting yet a tad repulsive article, a quick glimpse into today's Turkey if you will.

"Turkey's first lady praises Ottoman harem"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-...

"The wife of Turkey's president has described the harem of the Ottoman era as an "educational establishment that prepared women for life," reports say. ... Her comments came a day after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said a woman was "above all a mother" in a speech to mark International Women's Day."

This sort of defining all women in one way is deeply problematic.


message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Aglaea wrote: "This is an interesting yet a tad repulsive article, a quick glimpse into today's Turkey if you will.

"Turkey's first lady praises Ottoman harem"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-...

"The..."


Too many people and too few guns... Unless you live in the US. There natural selection still plays a role.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/09/us/...


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.