Twin Cities Readers and Writers discussion

What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments Hello All!

I'm new to the group and was curious what you've been reading! What's the last book you read and loved? Have you read anything recently that would best be avoided?

I read two books recently that I thought were exceptional: Duma Key by Stephen King and In A Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. I would love to discuss these with anyone who has read them.

On the flip side, I recently read Ready Player One. It was exhausting and tedious - not at all what I expected. Such a bummer.

message 2: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 5 comments Hi Jessica! I read Duma Key, well listened to it on Audible, but I hated it. I thought it was really boring, but then my opinion could have been tainted by the "performer" who read the book. Sometimes that can kind of ruin a book for me. What did you like about Duma Key? I think I never finished it - so what was the action that drove the plot? I just finished listening to Agatha Christie's The Mysterious Mr. Quinn. I really enjoyed it - and I don't usually like short stories, but Christie's books are truly beautifully written. I also just finished The Lightening Thief. Sort of Harry Potteresque but with Greek mythology. I loved it!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments Hi Felicia! I have definitely had my opinion of a book skewed by the performer reading an audio book. But I am also a huge Stephen King fan, and really embrace the way he builds a story. I found the relationships in Duma Key fascinating, and the haunting qualities of "Big Pink" really made the setting come alive. The action that drives the plot is largely the hold that Duma Key gains on Edgar; the combination of existing "energies" with the damage that has been done to Edgar mentally and physically.

The Lightening Thief sounds interesting. I don't really read YA novels but maybe I'll give it a shot!

message 4: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 5 comments I love Stephen King, too! My favorites are probably Misery and The Stand.

If you enjoy Greek mythology and books with a sense of humor, you'd probably enjoy The Lightening Thief. It's definitely adventure-y, but I think the author does a great job of writing some very witty dialogue. Did you read Harry Potter? You could say this is along those lines, except with Greek gods and their powers instead of magical wizardry, but I think the writing is a bit better.

: )

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments The Stand is phenomenal! I haven't gotten to Misery yet, but am eager to! Still working my way through the SK catalog.

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books. I hear frequently that I should. But my "to read" list is out of hand already. Maybe I'll have to push that up the list. Would you recommend HP over The Lightening Thief?

message 6: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 5 comments Oooooooh.....that's a hard one! The magical world of Harry Potter is pretty darn magical, however, if you don't typically read YA books you might want to start with The Lightening Thief because the kids are a bit older when this series starts than the Harry Potter kids. And, The Lightening Thief is a much smaller book (so you won't feel like you've wasted too much time if you end up not liking it). What sort of genres are your fave?

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments I've added both Harry Potter and The Lightening Thief to my list! Definitely will be picking up one or the other (or both!) on my next trip to HPB!

I bounce around a lot as far as genres go. I love anything in the horror/thriller/suspense category, Stephen King being my favorite, but there are a myriad of others. I also love historical fiction, literary fiction, and I real a lot of science based nonfiction. Anything having to do with cosmology, evolutionary biology or climate change I find fascinating. A little scattered, but I like it that way :)

How about you?

message 8: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 5 comments I like all sorts also! I definitely love digging into a good suspense novel - loved The Girl on the Train. Did you read Wolf? That is a really good suspense book, with lots of twists and turns. Apparently it's part of series, but I've never read any of the other books and this seemed like a stand-alone book to me. I love mystery, regular ol' fiction, kids books/ YA, and even some science fiction stuff. I'm also a sucker for a good, angsty memoir. I think the only genre I really don't like is Romance - I feel about Romance the way I feel about jazz music, blech. I'm currently reading: The First 90 Days (a book about preparing for starting a new job/ new position); A Wrinkle in Time (I must have read it as a kid, but totally don't remember it - it's very good); MIss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (very good); and a couple of cozy mysteries whose titles I can't think of (they're in the car). I always have a couple of books going...for whatever mood strikes.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments I loved Girl on the Train! I was worried about that one because everyone compared it to Gone Girl. While I enjoyed Gone Girl, the ending was so infuriating that it kind of took away from the rest of the book. I will definitely check out Wolf! In A Dark, Dark Wood is another great book if you enjoyed Girl on the Train.

I completely agree with your feelings on both romance novels and jazz music. Yuck to both. I just don't get it.

I tend to read one book at a time. I occasionally will have a fiction and non-fiction going at once, but not often. I tend to engulf myself in whatever I'm reading. I just finished Pet Semetary last night. I think my next book is going to be A Conspiracy of Paper, but I haven't really gotten to dive in yet. I also just picked up an Agatha Christie book - The ABC Murders I think it's called. I haven't read any of her stuff before. I'm eager to check it out!

I don't think I ever read A Wrinkle in Time! I should definitely pick that up. That's just one of those books you're "supposed" to read - if that makes sense :) Isn't Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children a series? I've heard it's very good.

message 10: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 5 comments Gone Girl was so good, but I agree that the ending was so frustrating. In the end, I guess they were perfect for each other because they both were a bit twisted (well, she was REALLY twisted). Did you see the movie? I thought it was very well done!
I loved Pet Cemetery too, although weren't you yelling at the guy while reading it - like quit burying people there, it does NOT turn out good!!!!! I think A Dark, Dark Wood is on my "to read" list, but if not I'm definitely going to add it. Miss Peregrine's is a series - I think there's 3 or 4 books now.

Reading A Wrinkle in Time kind of evokes the atmosphere of the movie Labyrinth, but maybe that's just because I watched it again recently in honor of David Bowie's passing.

That's funny that you also don't like romance and jazz - I wonder if people who love romance also love jazz (and vice versa)? : )

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments I think I spent the last 70 pages of Pet Semetary screaming in my head at Louis! Not one of my favorite Stephen King books, but still very good.

The Miss Peregrine series is officially on the to-read list! And if A Wrinkle in Time reminds you of Labyrinth, I absolutely need to read it!

Not sure about the romance and jazz correlation, but now I'm curious. Although as I'm writing this I'm also rolling my eyes because there is a Danielle Steele ad flashing next to my post. GoodReads doesn't know me at all!

Being a Stephen King fan, have you read The Dark Tower series? I absolutely love it, and am eagerly awaiting the release of the first movie. I'm definitely going to have to start rereading that before the movie release!