Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Slam by Nick Hornby

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 195 comments Slam by Nick Hornby
3 stars

This is about Sam, a teenage boy from England. He lives with his mom, who had him when she was a teenager, and likes to talk to a poster of his idol skateboard legend Tony Hawk. One day his ex-girlfriend tells him she is pregnant and his whole world changes.

This was kind of an odd little book. I didn't hate it, but there was nothing spectacular about it either. There was nothing new here to say about teenage pregnancy that hasn't already been done. This was literally just some kid who became a young father and how he and his ex tried to figure it all out. If anything the book doesn't try to downplay teens having sex or overly try to be preachy about it either, so that's at least something. :)

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Hmmm.

I read one Hornby book, and that was enough for me. I felt very much the way you did with this one. Just meh. I'm not exactly sure why he is such a popular author.

message 3: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 405 comments I agree, Anita. I read A Long Way Down by Hornby. I didn't see why his books are so popular.

message 4: by Denizen (last edited Mar 13, 2016 02:53PM) (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Hahtoolah wrote: "I agree, Anita. I read A Long Way Down by Hornby. I didn't see why his books are so popular."

I really enjoyed A Long Way Down - found the quirky characters and situations quite entertaining. I added High Fidelity to the TBR but have yet to work it in.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Hahtoolah wrote: "I agree, Anita. I read A Long Way Down by Hornby. I didn't see why his books are so popular."

That's the one I read also, Hahtoolah. From the description, I really thought it would be my thing, so I was disappointed.

Denizen, it just wasn't up my alley, but clearly it was up the alley of a LOT of people!!!