Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Monthly Discussion Folder > May 2014- Health and Wellness

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Like a lot of people, I joined the gym in January (again), and it's already May, and now I'm all in a rush to get ready for the summer. Smh......

I thought this month if anyone is interested we could share some healthy motivational tips that have worked for us mentally,physically, emotionally, and whatever else "ally."

message 2: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I know the group isn't made up of just "black women" but I wanted to share this link that I came across that I have to be very motivating http://blackwomendoworkout.com/ . Going on this site has given me some much needed motivation to exercise.

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 895 comments I started T-25 at the new year and it's great. I still have to do some of the modified versions (my upper body strength is pitiful!)but it has been amazing for me. It took 3 weeks before I saw the scale move but I am 13 pounds down and back down to a size 8 from a 12. at 5'2" I can not carry all of the extra weight. It's been tough, but once I made the decision to FINALLY take care of myself it's easier to stay on track. I am also juicing and doing protein shakes. Cutting waaay down on soda and white flour along with the exercise has made a difference for me. My blood pressure is even on the low side now! Big perk!

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments I need this. I hurt my back and hip a year ago when I fell on ice and I am only just back to the point when I can start training again. I gained a lot of weight and now I am trying to lose it. I need motivation.

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 895 comments Kim wrote: "I need this. I hurt my back and hip a year ago when I fell on ice and I am only just back to the point when I can start training again. I gained a lot of weight and now I am trying to lose it. I ne..."

You're still a Spring chicken you can do it!

message 6: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Monica **can't read fast enough** wrote: "I started T-25 at the new year and it's great. I still have to do some of the modified versions (my upper body strength is pitiful!)but it has been amazing for me. It took 3 weeks before I saw the ..."

Monica what's T-25? Is something I can do living in an apartment?

message 7: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I've lost 8lbs, and like Monica have been juicing and doing smoothies. However, that's been over a 3 month period. I'm ready to step up. I'm a little discouraged that it's taking so long.

message 8: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Kim wrote: "I need this. I hurt my back and hip a year ago when I fell on ice and I am only just back to the point when I can start training again. I gained a lot of weight and now I am trying to lose it. I ne..."

Don't be discouraged!

Here's a link that might interest you Kim. It's a link to Prevention's 28 day pledge to yourself to eat well, exercise, stress less etc.

http://www.prevention.com/sites/defau...

message 9: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

If weight loss is your goal, here is a visual aid that I found online. This isn't mine, but I did make one for myself.

photo pounds.jpg

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 895 comments @Michelle
T-25 is a fitness program by a fitness/infomcercial guru name Shaun T. It's part of the Beach Body program that also carries Insanity. My husband does Insanity and it is too rigorous for me. (More weight lifting, strength bands, but it does incorporate yoga too.) T-25 literally takes 25 minutes to do and you are having high impact exercise the whole time. I am thrilled that you can get as much impact as you do in less than half an hour! I love it because I can do it at home without the excuse of not feeling like driving o the gymn! I've put in a couple of links so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5mPE...

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 895 comments Michelle wrote: "If weight loss is your goal, here is a visual aid that I found online. This isn't mine, but I did make one for myself.

This is a great idea!!

message 12: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Monica **can't read fast enough** wrote: "@Michelle
T-25 is a fitness program by a fitness/infomcercial guru name Shaun T. It's part of the Beach Body program that also carries Insanity. My husband does Insanity and it is too rigorous for..."

Thanks for the links Monica! I checked them out. I think if I buy this, it'll be money well spent.

message 13: by Tina (last edited May 01, 2014 06:59PM) (new)

Tina | 1379 comments One thing I did which makes me actually feel better and coincidentally helped me lose some extra weight was to change some eating habits in addition to exercise.

Not a diet, because I can't diet. I feel like I am depriving myself and it becomes a much bigger thing than it is. But a few small changes in some eating habits and the results were rally noticeable.

1) I began to read food labels. I cut out (as much as possible) anything with high fructose corn syrup and anything with high amounts of sodium. HFCS adds empty calories and sodium aids in water retention. Cut out prepared foods completely. And anything that looks suspect on the lable or something I can't pronounce. I have an app called 'fooducate' that scans the bard codes of foods and will explain all the items on the label.

2) Gave up soda. I used to LIVE on soda. But I learned that it wasn't the sugar (again HFCS) that I needed but the carbonation. I only drink sparkling water now and really do not miss soda at all.

3) Upped proteins (a little) while reducing carbs (a little). Started throwing on some garbanzo beans on a salad. Made a nice trail mix with a variety of nuts and dried cherries to snack on. Greek yogurt mixed with fresh fruit and granola.

4) I went 'brown'. White rice, white breads, white sugars are all refined. You get more nutritional value plus some good fiber by substituting brown rice, sugar in the raw, and whole grain breads instead. Also, read labels. Some wheat bread in stores have additives including HFCS.

6) Oily fish. I love salmon. Love it. I'll pay extra to have it at least once a week, sometimes even twice. I always order salmon sushi as well.

7) Olive Oil. I use it for everything that calls for some fat. I use it for anything that needs to be sauted or lightly fried or brushed on for grilling. I even scramble eggs in it.

8) A nice glass of red wine. I enjoy a nice small glass while cooking dinner.

message 14: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments I need the help. I try to cut down on red meat & pork and stick to fish. Plus, I've been doing a lot of vegetarian cooking, esp. Indian. My goal is when my business gets off the ground, I will be able to afford gym membership again. I loved the gym. I loved swimming, weight machines, and just the stress relief and camaraderie.

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 895 comments Tina wrote: "One thing I did which makes me actually feel better and coincidentally helped me lose some extra weight was to change some eating habits in addition to exercise.

Not a diet, because I can't diet. ..."

Tina I think that we are living the same life! I am doing the EXACT same thing! I'm trying to do more "clean" eating too. Coke and Dr Pepper were my weakness & I have switched to sparking water. Love the Dasani sparkling water with lemon. I do cheat when I go to the movies though, I have to have a Coke & popcorn! But we all have to have a little cheat!

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 895 comments Michelle wrote: "Monica **can't read fast enough** wrote: "@Michelle
T-25 is a fitness program by a fitness/infomcercial guru name Shaun T. It's part of the Beach Body program that also carries Insanity. My husban..."

Please let me know if you buy it and try it Michelle. This is the first program that I don't dread doing.

message 17: by Cassandra (last edited May 03, 2014 10:07AM) (new)

Cassandra Black (cassandra_black_author) | 52 comments Physical: Walk, walk, walk. If you do nothing else, strike out and walk everyday, at least a mile or two. You'll gradually increase. I'm a half marathoner. I remember when I first started walking ... My doc said if you don't get that weight off (I was almost 200 lbs), your borderline diabetes will escalate to full-blown. That scared me, so I hit the treadmill and haven't looked back since.

Another good DAILY medicinal regiment that works for me is combo of:

a) one clove of garlic per day (chew it up and swallow after putting something on your stomach in the morning or it will burn on empty stomach) ... Course we put it in food, but when you have your medicinal clove each day, make that separate (just chew and swallow with water);

(b) one cup of green tea per day ... I make it when I have my coffee first thing in the morning and I let it sit; around lunch time, though it's cold, I'll down it right quick so I get it in me, treating it like my medicine instead of a treat;

(b) 1/2 an aspirin (to keep my circulation strong); and

(d) a 1-a-day women's vitamin (thanks, mama!).

If you do nothing else, consider the garlic -- everyone I meet I'm sticking a clove of garlic in their face). Just read up on medicinal benefits online and you'll be amazed. Also, the green tea -- crazy benefits from one cup per day.

Emotional: Run away from, leave, stamp out, kill, all drama trying to creep into your world. At last look, heart disease, of which STRESS is a contributing factor, was NUMBER ONE killer of women .... http://tinyurl.com/heart-disease-no1-...

Stress and Heart Disease: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/st...#

Kick drama out the windows, doors, off the porch, over the side of the boat ... well, you get my meaning ... life is too precious ... and so are YOU.

Okay, that's it ... Thanks for sharing, everyone. Great post topic!

Cassandra

message 18: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

You ladies are sharing some great tips. I mean, salmon, red wine, green tea, and garlic? These are some lifestyle changes that I can see my self incorporating, and actually sticking with.

message 19: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

When I started juicing recently, I started paying more attention to where I get my vegetables from. Someone a few posts up mentioned Tina mentioned HFCS. I've been trying to pay closer attention to all the extra chemicals I put in my body as well. Luckily, between farmers market, and Trader Joe's it's not that difficult, or that much more expensive to purchase organic fruits and veggies. I have noticed that when you're trying to buy organic and avoid GMO's, you are limited to what's in season. That said, it's not that bad, and I feel better because I'm making the effort to limit the extra chemicals in my body.

message 20: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

photo cookiemonster.jpg

message 21: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Here's a little motivation:

photo img-thing.jpg

message 22: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Has anyone ever tried water with cucumber, ginger, and lemon? I was reading that it's a good way to detox.

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (JeSsIcA-write-a-lot) | 42 comments I've been counting calories lately. I'm not a huge fan of working out at the moment, so I've just been reducing my caloric intake by 500 every day (instead of 2000 calories, I consume 1500) and I've already lost 3 pounds since May 18th. I'm planning to introduce some light cardio next week and see how it goes :)

message 24: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Great job Jessica!

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments I started taking walks after lunch. Initially, it was to simply have a change of scenery. Things are pretty tense at work due to recent reorganisations and lay-offs, so it's nice to just take a short walk and clear my head. It keeps me from overthinking what's going on and I get a little exercise to boot.

I also changed my usual lunch routine--which was to wait until the last minute and then just grab something quick. Now I actually think about what I am in the mood for--and it turns out it's usually something like mixed green salad with mushrooms, tomatoes and either a small portion of couscous or a small portion of roasted root vegetables with some hot smoked salmon or a broiled chicken fillet. And I drizzle it wit a bit of balsamic vinegar. And then I am fine for the rest of the day, or at least until dinner time.

I'm starting to feel better. Not sure if I've lost any weight yet (avoiding scales for the moment, don't want to get obsessive about it) but I feel less stressed and I don't get so angry about the small stuff (or even the idiocy of what's going on around me) in the office.