Gay Science Fiction discussion

Discuss Books *SPOILERS Likely* > Favorite Gay Sci Fi Book

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Rosswood | 2 comments I'd like to read a good gay themed sic fi book and I'm looking for recommendations. If you had to choose one (and only one) as your favorite, which one would it be and why? Thanks for the recommendations!

message 2: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 787 comments Mod
Gay themed; not romance? I would say Ethan of Athos.

message 3: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) Charming wrote: "Gay themed; not romance? I would say Ethan of Athos."

Indeed, an excellent book.

message 4: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Lori S. wrote: "Charming wrote: "Gay themed; not romance? I would say Ethan of Athos."

Indeed, an excellent book."

What's your favorite Lori? And Eric, for that matter?

message 5: by Lori S. (last edited Mar 18, 2016 11:41AM) (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) My favorite is Ethan of Athos. It's hard to find decent gay themed SF, though I have found a few that are more general in tone.

Dark Water's Embrace & Speaking Stones by Stephen Leigh deal with questions of gender, intersex people, and how a limited genetic population can survive in an alien environment.
Struggling with rising infertility and infant mortality, repopulation is essential for a group of humans on a distant planet. Anais, a brilliant female doctor with inexplicable physical abnormalities, is scorned because she has no children. When Anais discovers abnormalities identical to her own in the preserved corpse of a member of the planet's long-extinct race, she must find the link between the mysteries of the planet's past and the plight of the humans in order for her society to survive.

Speaking Dreams is Lesbian SF, though it's not in your face.
A tautly-told lesbian science fiction tale of slavery and spiritual freedom, power and resistance, love and destiny.

A couple of free reads over at fictionpress:
Esperanza by Eve Ocotillo - post-apocalyptic SF in what was the American SW.
Nearly a century after an engineered virus wipes out most of Earth's population, Tesla is a drifter, moving from town to town, staying alive as best he knows how, and leaving when residents begin to suspect his secret. He's heard stories of the heathen traders, of their societies and their sinful ways, and when two arrive at his latest village, he decides to follow them. He expected many things, but not that they'd make him prisoner for his genes.

A homoerotic romance. Warnings for offscreen violence, racism and homophobia, and dubious consent.

Iron Butterfly by mousegirl05 - set in a future in which humans and aliens interact. (Cross species mating, child abuse, and mpreg warning if that's not your thing.):

Temple apprenticeship in an unfamiliar world, home to an unfamiliar race. Amid thorns of hatred and misunderstanding, can a human find true friendship and love among the rae'lir temple keepers? m/m-sorta; read and see!

Vfields Don't touch my happy!  | 6 comments One, only one?!?!?!
Okay I think out of my three favorite gay SF books I would pick Astounding!. There's a clean, quiet style I adore about this author's writing.

message 7: by Alex (last edited Mar 20, 2016 08:36AM) (new)

Alex (little_alex) | 13 comments Lori S. wrote: "Charming wrote: "Gay themed; not romance? I would say Ethan of Athos."

Indeed, an excellent book."

Hm, there's a hint of something more to come between Ethan and you know who, so it's not entirely not romance...?

I love Bujold's other books as well. Okay, except the Sharing Knife series.

As to my favourite gay SF book: Membrane, by Chi Ta-wei.

It's in Chinese and published back in the 90s. It explored gender identity, different sexualities, the difference between human and machine/android, virtual reality, the very basis of reality itself.

The author hasn't written a novel in years, but is currently an associate professor in a university in Taiwan somewhere.

message 8: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Thanks all! I have been adding the books that come up to our group bookshelf (the gay make ones, since the owner of the group has limited it to those). Please take a look and make sure I have selected the right shelves.

message 9: by Armando (new)

Armando Burciaga | 7 comments I really liked the Seafort Saga by David Feintuch. Great story, clean and emotionally intelligent.

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric Rosswood | 2 comments Thanks everyone! Ethan of Athos is #3 in the series. Do we need to read the other two first to have a good understanding of what's happening in the third?

message 11: by Alex (last edited Mar 28, 2016 02:39AM) (new)

Alex (little_alex) | 13 comments Eric wrote: "Thanks everyone! Ethan of Athos is #3 in the series. Do we need to read the other two first to have a good understanding of what's happening in the third?"

The other books all have a different protagonist. It's more like in the same universe than with the same people. So it's more or less a standalone.

message 12: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Eric wrote: "Thanks everyone! Ethan of Athos is #3 in the series. Do we need to read the other two first to have a good understanding of what's happening in the third?"

Not at all. This one is quite separate from the main flow of the series.

message 13: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 1 comments Isn't "Ethan of Athos" #7 in the series?

message 14: by Cindra (new)

Cindra (mztikicat) | 4 comments Still discovering m/m sci-fi books, but a couple favs would be Charlie Cochet's THIRDS series, and really love Manna Francis's The Administration series. Toreth and Warrick......sigh.

message 15: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Cindra wrote: "Still discovering m/m sci-fi books, but a couple favs would be Charlie Cochet's THIRDS series, and really love Manna Francis's The Administration series. Toreth and Warrick......sigh."

The Administration is awesome.

message 16: by Cindra (new)

Cindra (mztikicat) | 4 comments Still eagerly awaiting the next book.......sigh.

message 17: by Cindra (new)

Cindra (mztikicat) | 4 comments Someone in another group is reading Bone Rider--I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that book. It's in my top fav books in any genre, not only sci-fi. So many books yet to read....sigh.

message 18: by Kaje (last edited Apr 16, 2016 10:02PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 45 comments Thomas wrote: "Isn't "Ethan of Athos" #7 in the series?"

Ethan can totally stand alone (if you read the others you will just have a few extra smiles at some minor asides and a better grasp of one character.) It is a side-note to the main series arc.

On my own Favorites list (all with M/M romance, if that fits "gay themed"):

Carnival
Incursion
Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts
Turbulence
Gravitational Attraction
Knight Errant

message 19: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts is really excellent. I like aliens who are really alien - but still relatable.

message 20: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 45 comments Yes - my favorite human/alien relationship book, because it was plausible and yet the alien wasn't just a human in green skin paint. There was both culture and physical distinctness. Well done.

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex (little_alex) | 13 comments Charming wrote: "Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts is really excellent. I like aliens who are really alien - but still relatable."

I recommend The Merro Tree then. :)

message 22: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Alex wrote: "Charming wrote: "Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts is really excellent. I like aliens who are really alien - but still relatable."

I recommend The Merro Tree then. :)"

Intriguing! It isn't available on Kindle - you don't see that much anymore.

message 24: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Kaje wrote: "http://www.amazon.com/Claimings-Tails..."

I meant The Merro Tree.

message 25: by S. (new)

S. (pennyspade) | 4 comments Alex wrote: "Charming wrote: "Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts is really excellent. I like aliens who are really alien - but still relatable."

I recommend The Merro Tree then. :)"

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered it :)

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (amphi) | 1 comments I don't know if it's my *favorite* gay sci-fi book series, but I recently read the Chaos Station series, and I highly reccomend it.

Also I very much like The Valespian Pact series which starts with Alpha Trine. I can't wait for more of the Valespian Pact books to come out.

message 27: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Rachel wrote: "I don't know if it's my *favorite* gay sci-fi book series, but I recently read the Chaos Station series, and I highly reccomend it. "

I read the first one and I am hesitating on the rest of the series - it sounds a little grim for me.

I really liked The Persistence of Memory and plan to read the other two. These also have a darkish tone, but JCP's writing makes it worth it to me.

message 28: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 45 comments The second one - Forget Me Not- is my favorite. Loved it.

message 29: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Barton (trevorbarton) I wasn't aware of very much. Especially when it's gay you want (rather than just M/M). Partly why I just published my own!

message 30: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 45 comments Trevor wrote: "I wasn't aware of very much. Especially when it's gay you want (rather than just M/M). Partly why I just published my own!"

Congrats on the release - we can always use more.

message 31: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Barton (trevorbarton) Thanks! It's doing really well :)

Queerscifi.com is one useful website for readers wanting to explore the genre further.