The Hopefuls discussion

Discussions about Books > This girl is a hero:

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (chocfreek) And quite relevant to our current book club book don't you think? http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/21976...

message 2: by Darby (new)

Darby | 217 comments Well in my opinion, good for that girl! In my house we believe that censorship causes blindness (my mom even has a large pin/button with that written on it). In my whole life I've only been told not to read 2 books (New Moon, and Eclipsed because Bella was too moody and depressed. I read eclipsed anyway secretly and felt so guilty that even 4 years later, I won't read Breaking Dawn)

message 3: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (chocfreek) I wish I could unread the entire Twilight series, it really was pretty shoddy and doesn't really give love a good name LOL

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kokx (lisakokx) | 24 comments Censoring things will only cause the thing being censored to get more attention, which results in having the opposite effect.

message 5: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennieelizabeth) | 91 comments Wow good on her! We don't have problems like that in England so I just really can't comprehend a school banning a book for those reasons (I mean, at school we're studying a book about raping dead children and animals so...)

message 6: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (chocfreek) Jennie wrote: "Wow good on her! We don't have problems like that in England so I just really can't comprehend a school banning a book for those reasons (I mean, at school we're studying a book about raping dead c..."

That sounds awful, what are you reading?

message 7: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennieelizabeth) | 91 comments Kristina, it's The Bloody Chamber, but it's actually really good.

message 8: by Shona (new)

Shona (shonalee) | 109 comments If you censor things and put a ban on them then people especially children of any age are going to want to read them. We are naturally curious so telling us not to do something is going to make us want to do it more!
Fair play to the girl, it was a great thing for her to do.
And Jennie that sounds like a horrible book to read! Not sure I will be reading that anytime soon!

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (chocfreek) Jennie wrote: "Kristina, it's The Bloody Chamber, but it's actually really good."

Is it a play? That's all I could find in goodreads when I searched for it.

message 10: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennieelizabeth) | 91 comments Kristina, it's a collection of short stories by Angela Carter. Certainly is the kind of book that may get banned yet it is quite significant from a feminist perspective.

message 11: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (chocfreek) Interesting, I might keep an eye out for it :-)

message 12: by Ailish (new)

Ailish We have to read of mice and men at school (I actually quite like it) as part of our GCSE's, it's really racist and sexist and ageist at times but I think it just gave me a greater appreciation of these issues and has made me more aware of them, you shouldn't censor those types of things, you can learn a lot from them

message 13: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (isabellabellab) | 4 comments Censoring books just makes people more curious about them. I remember picking up a book and starting to read it, then my mum flipped through it and immediately took it away from me since it had drugs, alcohol and sex in it (i was 8 years old or something)
while i understand why she did it, i didn't stop thinking about the book for years. i'd still like to finish it someday.

message 14: by Ailish (new)

Ailish If we encourage these books with challenging topics in schools it means they can be discussed in a safer environment so people can be told the right things about it rather than reading it on your own and taking what the books saying in the wrong way!!