Wilmette Public Library discussion

Book Club Discussions > Short Stories for May

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:39PM) (new)

For May, we are encouraging everyone to try out the short story genre! If you need some suggestions, try searching Goodreads for the keyword, "short stories"; there are tons of lists and reviews. Otherwise, select this link: http://tinyurl.com/lvm3lze, which will magically transport you to all of the short story collections listed in our catalog.

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilliemae) | 35 comments I just finished "I Remember Nothing" by Nora Ephron, which are essays (but I still consider them of the same genre as short stories). I really enjoyed how blunt and to the left politically she was, but I would probably recommend to people in their 50s+, as she deals with issues of divorce, aging parents, multiple marriages, and so forth; not completely accessible to someone in their 20s and 30s. It reminded me a little of Larry David's writing for Curb your Enthusiasm as she puts a spotlight on little issues and quirks in daily life that annoy her, and subsequently, annoy me.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 8 comments I loved this book and actually went out and bought a copy! Nora Ephron's wry, self-effacing, and honest humor rings true every time I read it. I miss her-she was still in her prime when she passed.

Susanchicagoland | 7 comments I especially love the short story writer Bernard Malamud, but I realize his subject matter may seem dated perhaps, dating from the 1940's and 1950's. He employs magical realism, and deftly depicts his characters with a few sentences describing their clothes, misfortunes, speech etc. His stories are sad. Another short story author I love is Ray Bradbury. His stories are riveting, albeit bleak. He often envisions Earth People living on Mars, after arriving in a rocket ship! The stories are fun and maybe funny, but are not overly optimistic about Earth People's behaviors. Both of these authors are poetic; that is the main reason I like them so much. Both of these authors have collections of their short stories at the Wilmette Library.

message 5: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilliemae) | 35 comments Emily, I thought it was hilarious when she talked about her "aruba" and thought about it immediately one morning when my hair was being weird. I think it's amazing how some authors' writing sneaks up on you when you least expect it, and because of that in this case, I will definitely check out some of her other writings!

message 6: by Betty (new)

Betty | 3 comments It's interesting that some authors have a difficult time labeling their work as either short stories or novels. Edwidge Danticat, who was here last week, pondered whether her newest novel is really a collection of closely tied together short stories. What separates the novel from a collection of short stories that are obviously connected...?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Betty, it's definitely a gray area. Author Alix Strauss has written short story "novels" that are categorized as novels, but are actually interconnected short stories. Likewise, Rebecca Miller has written books that are categorized as "short stories," but have a novel feel because the subject matter in each story is so closely related. Even when an author or publisher puts a label onto a book, sometimes it's not as cut and dry.

message 8: by Alyx (new)

Alyx (triwizard_champ) | 2 comments I am so happy this is the May topic because this week I started reading The Best American Short Stories edited by Elizabeth Strout. :)

David Sedaris is one of my all time favorite short story writers. I highly recommend the book Me Talk Pretty One Day! It is comprised of many hilarious short stories. Laugh out loud funny.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Alyx, that's great that you are reading The Best American Short Stories! If this piques your interest, we have shelves and shelves available within the Library walls.