2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
This topic is about Why Mermaids Sing
Why Mermaids Sing > Question O

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7658 comments Mod
Lord Hendon didn't seem to be upset about Kat and Sebastian being siblings, just astounded that she is his daughter. Your thoughts in light of his later conversation with Amanda? What does she find so "funny?"

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Apr 17, 2016 01:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Oh.....I just now caught on to Amanda laughing other than because she hated Sebastian.

She doesn't think Sebastian is Hendon's real son, but legally he is the heir. That would make Kat not his sibling, but will he ever learn this (if it's true)?

I didn't understand why Hendon went to tell Amanda this in the first place. Why tell her that he's Kat's real father?

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments My impression was that Hendon really loved Kat's mother and was glad to have his daughter back (even if she isn't exactly what one would wish for in a daughter).

@Charlene - yes, Amanda is well aware of the fact that Sebastian is not Hendon's biological son and yes, legally it makes no difference because Hendon has accepted him as his son and recognized him as his heir.

I think he told Amanda because he wanted to acknowledge Kat as his child and it was common courtesy to tell his daughter rather than have her learn it from someone else.

I'm sure Sebastian and Kat with learn the truth but by then it won't make any difference. Thank goodness!

Lord Hendon knows Sebastian isn't his son. He doesn't even wonder.

Amanda's reaction is almost diabolical. If the rule about women not being able to carry on a legacy weren't there, she'd be the obvious choice for Lord Hendon. She resented Sebastian (and probably her two deceased brothers) being the legacy, even more knowing his true heritage.

I think that laugh was at the irony of the whole mess. She's laughing at her father being disappointed on so many levels and him finding the woman he worked so hard to marginalize turns out to be his progeny.

Loriidae Amanda is angry at the world because as first born she can't inherit, so she is enjoying the irony of knowing that her father is resentful of having to acknowledge Sebastian as heir. (without modern DNA to prove otherwise.)

The other scenario, assuming there were no cousins to inherit is that the estate reverts to the crown and that means the wastrel Prince Regent.

Also that her proud father is admitting that he fathered an actress - also fuel for her amusement.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I agree with you all. I think she also finds it funny that Kat, as a daughter, would have inherited Henden's estate just by marrying Sebastian who isn't the biological heir.

I would guess that Henden and Amanda know as they don't seem bothered by Kat and Sebastian sleeping together.

Amanda saw her mother's infidelity first hand. Wouldn't be surprised if she knows the identity of his father.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "Amanda saw her mother's infidelity first hand. Wouldn't be surprised if she knows the identity of his father."

There is no doubt in my mind that Amanda knows the entire story behind Sebastian's conception including who his biological father is.

It's been my belief since that second book.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments I think it was in book #1 that we get the scene from Amanda's perspective in which she sees her mother In flagrante with the gardner? If so, I had my suspicions then.

I stand corrected...book #1 for me, too!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Lauren wrote: "There is no doubt in my mind that Amanda knows the entire story behind Sebastian's conception including who his biological father is. "

Hmmm, I know Amanda knows that Sebastian isn't Hendon's bio son but it never occurred to me that she might know the identity of his bio father.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "Lauren wrote: "There is no doubt in my mind that Amanda knows the entire story behind Sebastian's conception including who his biological father is. "

Hmmm, I know Amanda knows that Sebastian isn'..."

This is a bit of speculation on my part based on:
1) The author's note at the end of book #1 that Bithil's Syndrome is linked to Welsh families.
2) 11 year old Amanda coming across her mother and the groom in the woods in Cornwall.
3) Amanda is now 40 and Sebastian is 28

From this, I have made the giant leap that the groom is Welsh and he is Sebastian's father. I know its thin but still....

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments ...the plot thickens!

Lauren wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Lauren wrote: "There is no doubt in my mind that Amanda knows the entire story behind Sebastian's conception including who his biological father is. "

Hmmm, I know Amanda knows th..."

This is also the basis for my hypothesis, too. Funny how the author no longer emphasizes Sebastian's special skills as much as she did in the first book. She made him seem close to paranormal in that story.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Jonetta wrote: "Funny how the author no longer emphasizes Sebastian's special skills as much as she did in the first book. She made him seem close to paranormal in that story. ."

I suppose she didn't want it to become an unintentional focus of the story.

Lauren wrote: "I suppose she didn't want it to become an unintentional focus of the story...."

You're probably right as we made a big deal about it:)

Mary Beth  | 193 comments Wow! Wondering now who Sebastians biological father might be. I am intrigued. Cant wait to get to Where Serpents Sleep. I didnt even think of this until I read the comments. Thats why I love buddy reads because you get more info on what you pick up while reading.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments We're all hanging in there with different threads to Sebastian's life; it makes me look forward to the next month's reading and I can't decide which group book(s) to read first!

Mary Beth  | 193 comments Charlene I have the same problem with deciding on what book to read first.