All About Books discussion

A Brief History of Time
This topic is about A Brief History of Time
The 100 Best Nonfiction Books > Week 6 - (1988) A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments For Week 6, the Observer has chosen A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016...

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I recently watched the biopic The Theory of Everything which awoke a mild interest in reading this book. But very mild...

Karin | 1923 comments I just read this in the last couple of years. I enjoyed it and got plenty of laughs from it, but am not going to read it again so soon. If you choose to read it, be sure not to get his shortened version A Briefer History of Time which isn't the one.

Pink I'm daunted by this one.

Nabil Hourani (goodreadscomnhourani) | 2 comments It is a huge but concise look at the Universe. I read it many years ago, but now I find that Hawkins missed to recognize Georges Lemaitre, the Belgian priest-scientist who brought the concept of what now is called the Big Bang.

Actually, I am preparing an essay on the life of Lemaitre, if you are interested.

message 6: by Portia (last edited Mar 09, 2016 09:02AM) (new)

Portia Pink wrote: "I'm daunted by this one."

I am, too, but Eddie Redmayne's performance (Academy Award Winning) in The Theory of Everything is amazing.

Pink I have that book and want to read it too, as well as My Brief History, which is Stephen's autobiography. I've actually reserved A brief history of time at the library now, so I'm gonna dive in soon.

message 8: by Portia (new)

Portia Good luck !

Pink I read it! Not daunting at all, I don't know why I was so afraid (probably all that science).

Here's my review if anyone want's to read it.

Paulfozz | 1001 comments I'm glad you enjoyed it Pink; I've read it a couple of times and it's fascinating, though there are sections where I'm sure I didn't really grasp the concepts... they say that if you think you understand it then you've misunderstood, so that's a relief!. :-D It think it probably ranks up with Moby Dick in terms of books being bought but not read.

It's an excellent book; very easy to get into and although it does need concentration, Stephen really knows how to get ideas across.

message 11: by Pink (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pink Completely agree Paul :)

message 12: by Karin (last edited Apr 10, 2016 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 1923 comments This was one of the most enjoyable and funniest nonfiction books I read the year I read it and I gave it 4 stars. I didn't laugh throughout, but he first of all has a quick, dry wit, and second of all has some rather amusing circular reasoning, etc at times. I highly recommend it as a must read for all, regardless of whether or not you agree), because it's an important concept at this moment in the history of science, regardless of how future scientists look back on this.