What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Young adult or adult fiction. Big family with two sisters, family secrets, romance, woman raises two children, big house in small town. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Hello everyone! I am looking for a book that i read many years ago and unfortunately ı could not remember its name or author. It was about a family, big family in fact. at the end of the book children find out that the woman they know as their mother is in fact their aunt. In the past their mother dies and their aunt takes her twin sisters place, because the children were very small. that is all I can remember :( Thanks for your help

message 2: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1342 comments Sound interesting, hope someone can find it.

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments I remember that it was very impressive at that time. I hope so, thank you for your comment
MJ wrote: "Sound interesting, hope someone can find it."

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 595 comments do you remember if it was historical or contemporary. That might help others find it.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37852 comments Mod
How many years ago did you read it? Children's, YA, or adult? Illustrations? Cover art? Author male or female? Country or region where it was set?

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments It was contemporary.
Unfortunately I could not remember so many things about the book, it was nearly 15 years ago. It can be thought as Ya or Auldt but not children's. I could not remember the author so i can not say male or female. I read its turkish translation, something like the house in the hill, something like that. ıt was in a small town. There was a big family with big secrets, the reason of the mothers death was falling from stairs.
All I can remember is that:(
Thank you for your comments.

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments I am afraid that I am the only person who read this book.:(

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37852 comments Mod
Any particular genre, or just straight-up fiction? Literary fiction, or mass market fiction?

What country is it set in?

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Actually I could not remember the country.
I can say it was Literary fiction
I am in Turkey I read its translated version. Its name was like "House in the Hill". Because there was a big house in a small town and events were taking place there.
At the end of the book I was very surprised that the aunt which was known as dead was real mother.
I wish I could remember more details.
:(

message 10: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments please help me

message 11: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Hang in there Sellenimo, it might take time to solve this one.

message 12: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Laurie wrote: "Hang in there Sellenimo, it might take time to solve this one."

Thank you, I hope it'll be as you said.

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Sellenimo,

Sometimes it takes a while. But if you bump your thread up every 30 to 90 days so that people are reminded of it you'll increase your chance of getting it found.

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33543 comments Mod
Where is the children's father? Does he know about the deception/switch?

Is this a romance?

How many children?

message 15: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments I will do that ann, thanks.

message 16: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Kris, yes it was a romance. She had 2 children , and the father was also in the house.
That is all that ı remember.
Its turkish translation was named as the house in the hill, i searched like this but i could not find:(

message 17: by Mrsbooks (last edited May 07, 2018 05:01AM) (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments Bride of Pendorric has some similarities.
The bride marries a man who lives in a big house, more like a mansion with his family which consists of his sister, her husband, their two children and his aunt. There is a nanny and the husband's aunt caretaker.

There is one big difference though...
(view spoiler)

So it might not be it because of that.

message 18: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Sellenimo wrote: "Kris, yes it was a romance. She had 2 children , and the father was also in the house.
That is all that ı remember.
Its turkish translation was named as the house in the hill, i searched like this..."

Thank you very much, this can be the book that i looked for, as i said ı could not remember most of the book, maybe I remembered wrongly. Is there an detail regarding the death of the aunt and why did the mother took place of his sister?
i will definitely look at it. Thank you again.

message 19: by Mrsbooks (last edited May 03, 2016 10:01AM) (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments Sellenimo wrote:. Is there an detail regarding the death of the aunt and why did the mother took place of his sister?"

In Bride of Pendorric the reason is (view spoiler)

message 20: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments You gotta love Victoria Holt :D

message 21: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments I am still looking for this book, please help me

message 22: by Kris (last edited Dec 01, 2016 03:15PM) (new)

Were the sisters twins? How were they different?

Was the death an accident or murder?

Before the woman died, did she ask her sister to take her place/identity - or did she die immediately from the fall?

message 23: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Kris wrote: "Were the sisters twins? How were they different?

Before the woman died, did she ask her sister to take her place/identity - or did she die immediately from th..."

they were twins i guess.
It was an accident and I could not remember if she died immediately or not.

I am still looking for this book, please help me:(

message 24: by Kris (last edited Jun 29, 2017 09:27AM) (new)

Here's a recap of the discussion so far. Let me know if there are corrections.

Big family with twin sisters, family secrets, woman raises two children, romance, big house in small town, read around 2000-2001?, young adult or adult fiction, literary fiction, Turkish translation was titled something like The House in the Hill. (view spoiler)

Edited the topic header to remove the spoiler (re: woman takes her sister's place). Feel free to update it.

message 25: by Kris (last edited Jun 29, 2017 09:38AM) (new)

Is this romantic suspense? And it's a contemporary setting?

About how old are the two children? Boy and girl, two girls/boys?

Do all main characters live in the same big house throughout the story?

message 26: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Selen Gültekin wrote: "Kris wrote: "Were the sisters twins? How were they different?

Before the woman died, did she ask her sister to take her place/identity - or did she die immedi..."

Thank you very much, topic header is better now.

message 27: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Kris wrote: "Here's a recap of the discussion so far. Let me know if there are corrections.

Big family with twin sisters, family secrets, woman raises two children, romance, big house in small town, read aroun..."

it was not a suspence ı guess.
They were little in the beginngin but they were getting older.
Yes they live in the same big house.

message 28: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments I am still looking for this book,

message 29: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Selen Gültekin wrote: "I am still looking for this book,"

So not Mrsbooks' suggestion? I found this book by Victoria Holt in Turkish: "Yamaçtaki Ev": https://www.nadirkitap.com/yamactaki-... which google translates as "House on the slope" (no idea whether it's the same book - there's no plot description).

message 30: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Ayshe wrote: "Selen Gültekin wrote: "I am still looking for this book,"

So not Mrsbooks' suggestion? I found this book by Victoria Holt in Turkish: "Yamaçtaki Ev": https://www.nadirkitap.com/yama..."

thank you ayshe,
yes it might be this book, but i can not be sure without reading it. it is not in their stocks so i could not buy it. maybe i should try to find its english version and read it.
Thank you again.

message 31: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments You're welcome. Just to avoid confusion: I don't know if it's "Bride of Pendorric"'s translation. Maybe try finding it in library?

message 32: by Kris (new)

Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt - Ayshe's suggestion

Here's the Google Books preview - https://books.google.com/books?id=90J... There are different cover images.

message 33: by There (new)

There | 121 comments Seems a bit like the ‘thirteenth tale’

message 34: by Kris (new)

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - There's suggestion

Note: Selen read this book almost 17 years ago. (This is a long thread - see message 6: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)

message 35: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Kris wrote: "Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt - Ayshe's suggestion"

No, no, it was Mrsbooks' - message #17. I simply googled "Victoria Holt" and "ev" (house in Turkish), trying to see if I can find anything further and found "Yamaçtaki Ev", which may be completely different book.

message 36: by Kris (new)

I'm referring to when Selen said she read this book (re: message 6) - now about 17 years ago.

message 37: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Kris wrote: "I'm referring to when Selen said she read this book (re: message 6) - now about 17 years ago."
I meant that 'Bride of Pendorric' was first mentioned in this thread by Mrsbooks (message #17). So not exactly my suggestion.

message 38: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Selen Gültekin wrote: "Ayshe wrote: "Selen Gültekin wrote: "I am still looking for this book,"

So not Mrsbooks' suggestion? I found this book by Victoria Holt in Turkish: "Yamaçtaki Ev": https://www.nadir..."

I looked for it in the library but i could not find it,I am afraid that ı am the only one who had read this book in Turkey.

message 39: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Kris wrote: "The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - There's suggestion

Note: Selen read this book almost 17 years ago. (This is a long thread - see message 6: https://www.goodre..."

thank you There and Kris but this book in relatively new than the one I am looking for.

message 40: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Ayshe wrote: "You're welcome. Just to avoid confusion: I don't know if it's "Bride of Pendorric"'s translation. Maybe try finding it in library?"

I could not find in the library too, neither English one nor tuskish translation. I am afraid I am the only one who had read this book in Turkey

message 41: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Ayshe wrote: "Kris wrote: "Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt - Ayshe's suggestion"

No, no, it was Mrsbooks' - message #17. I simply googled "Victoria Holt" and "ev" (house in Turk..."

You are so nice thank you, and I have a feeling that this is the book I am looking for.. but in order to be sure ı have to read it:(

message 42: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments I searched for "Yamaçtaki Ev" in www.mkutup.gov.tr/ - National Library of Turkey and it is indeed "Bride of Pendorric" (I don't know if direct link to the search result will work for you, but here it is: https://kasif.mkutup.gov.tr/SonucDeta... ). Maybe ask your library if they do interlibrary loan?

message 43: by Selen Gültekin (new)

Selen Gültekin | 22 comments Ayshe wrote: "I searched for "Yamaçtaki Ev" in www.mkutup.gov.tr/ - National Library of Turkey and it is indeed "Bride of Pendorric" (I don't know if direct link to the search result will work for you, but here ..."
thank you ayshe, unfortunately ı saw your message too late, sorry for that. I will check this.