The Filipino Group discussion

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Simonverse, #1)
This topic is about Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > YA Buddy Reads: March 8 | Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (Maria, Ai)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Hi everyone!

Hope you can join us in reading Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli.

No reading plan, just read at your own pace. Just comment and post in this thread as often as you want. That's it!

Hello Ai, we can start tomorrow, March 8. =) Happy reading!

message 2: by Anj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anj (aingeld) | 8 comments To you, too, Maria! And to everyone pleased to join. :)

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Ai :) so I started reading right after I created this thread, and now I am on Ch 22 :D It's easy to read, and I am just enjoying the awkwardness and cuteness haha. How far along are you?

message 4: by Anj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anj (aingeld) | 8 comments Hi, Maria. I got so caught up in too much work awhile ago but I will start reading it later when I get home from work. I can't wait to start it already :D

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Go for it, Ai!

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Anj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anj (aingeld) | 8 comments Hi, Maria. Still not halfway through. I'm still on Chapter 14. And I can't say much about it as of the moment. Is it really that there seems to be nothing going on from the first few chapters?

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Hello Ai, no need to rush. I'm sure you'll breeze thru it in no time.

Yeah, the start is a typical setting up of the environment on how Simon is like that, hiding. Typical high school scenes, but hopefully the pace will pick up for you soon.

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments What do u think of the characters so far? Simon, Leah, Nick, Abby, Martin? :)

message 9: by Anj (last edited Mar 10, 2016 11:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anj (aingeld) | 8 comments Warning: You will encounter the word "cute" countless times in this one. Forgive me for I can't think of a better adjective for all things about this book. :D

So hi, Maria! I have finished the book! And I must say, it turned out very well from the 26th chapter onwards. I smiled creepy smiles reading it last night. It's so awkwardly cute and I loved it!

As for the characters,

Simon
I really am not a fan of that part when he, Nick and Abby went out without Leah. I thought Simon will be level-minded on that one but turns out not. But overall, he's a fine narrator although the first 15 chapters were really diary-ish and very boring for me. I thought the book was going nowhere (the very reason why I was not able to finish it early on 'cause it was not catching my interest).

But I'm going to forgive that because aaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccchhhhh! It's so cute - so, so adorable cute with Bram. I was not able to contain my happiness!

Leah
I love Leah. I have really nothing bad to say about her. Maybe because I kinda share her attitude. Closed off, and unpredictable, and generally moody. And I am quite digging for a book revolving around her. And Garrett! That was high school-y cute in the end when Bram teased him about Leah. Agh. I'm extremely joyful!

Abby & Nick
Well, there wasn't anything interesting about them I guess. Although it didn't really sit well with me when Abby was mad at Simon about the Martin thing. I mean, Simon basically didn't do anything, really. There was probably one time. But Abby forgave him in the end which is nice and that I could accept
(and he forgave him partly because she and Nick are annoyingly happy together which didn't make me happy at all 'cause I like Leah haha)

as for Martin
I have mixed feelings about him. How can he be nice and evil altogether? Maybe love can really make you do shitty things. Specially in high school. All of us probably have bad moments where we make bad decisions in high school.

When I was on the first few parts, I had a feeling that Martin is Blue. I never thought it would be Bram! I should have known from that part when Bram's test paper was given to Simon instead and he aced that English exam. It was a giveaway but I was focused on Martin being Blue so I really didn't ponder on that situation much.

Over all, it was a very, very good read. You, what do you think about the characters? :)

message 10: by Maria (last edited Mar 13, 2016 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maria (mariasm) | 2440 comments Hello Ai! I am glad you liked this book!

Creepy smiles lol but I agree, it's too cute that you can't help but smile na lang. hahaha

I find Simon entertaining. But for the most part, he felt very real to me. :D

I was disappointed how Leah's character was treated. I thought she was far more interesting than Abby, and yet, she disappeared on the the most important parts of the book, and was clumsily put back at the end. That's injustice right there!

Like I said, Abby was bland, I could not see her charisma. And Nick, what. He' s a jerk to Leah, that's what. So I could not care less if he and Abby ended up together.

Martin was an enigma, and quite an interesting character. I could not seem to have a grasp on what he will do. But he redeemed himself in the end, in my opinion.

It was fun to figure out who Blue really is. XD

I love this book! So glad to have read it. :D

message 11: by Anj (last edited Mar 14, 2016 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anj (aingeld) | 8 comments Hi, Maria!

I am glad that we share the same opinion on most parts. I feel the same way - Abby and Nick really didn't catch my interest at all. But it was nice over all!

Anyway, I could easily be messaged anytime when you're up for a buddy read again. :D Have a great day!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.