IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Book Discussions > March 2016 Book of the Month: I Am Legend

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) Hello, iggles! I hope everyone's March has started off at a good pace, and I'm sorry for posting the discussions so late. But here they are! For this month, everyone voted on which post-apocalyptic novel they would like to read. After some close voting, the classic horror/post-apocalpytic novel I Am Legend was voted for March's book. Here's a short synopsis:

Robert Neville is the last living man on Earth... but he is not alone. Every other man, woman and child on the planet has become a vampire, and they are hungry for Neville's blood.

By day he is the hunter, stalking the undead through the ruins of civilisation. By night, he barricades himself in his home and prays for the dawn.

How long can one man survive like this?

The inspiration for the great movie with Will Smith, this should be a fun one to delve into! As always, post thoughts, questions and your own takes after you're done!

message 2: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Everly Henry (kemeah) | 16 comments This book definitely fed my love of distopian scifi and the recent vampire kick I've been on. I really enjoyed reading it (hence why I got through it so fast). I am going to have to go rewatch the Will Smith version of the movie as well as track down The Omega Man (the one the Will Smith one is a remake of) to watch and compare.

message 3: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 15, 2016 06:07PM) (new)

Lindsey (naommah) Hmm. I didn't enjoy this as much as i had hoped but i reminded myself it was for the 70s.

Spoilers

The whole thing with the women disgusted me. I didn't see why sexual urges were so hard for him to control and making him crazy. Just unbelievable. Without that the book would have been a lot better.

I really thought the dog part picked up the book's strength and showed the need for companionship. I also enjoyed the twist with Ruth and the overall ending.

Sorry if not supposed to post spoilers! Let me know please!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer This one was my suggestion so I hope everyone enjoyed it, or at least thought the overall idea was interesting.

I've read this a few times over the years and have always really enjoyed the different take on the vampire legend.

It's not the easiest of reads, as it's quite dated now, and it also isn't the most PC of books. But, I personally I think that adds to the story somewhat, de-humanising him, making him more of a monster.

I find it difficult to compare these type of stories to real life, what would I be like in that situation, they're not acting like I would, that doesn't make sense. I have the same problem with watching shows like The Walking Dead. I can't relate, like Carol is totally confusing me at the moment. But I try to switch off and realise that people act differently, they're not me.

I think that if I was in a situation like this I would probably cower under the nearest table and wait for the world to end. But, I might surprise myself and be a complete badass!

As I've read this a few times already I decided to read the graphic novel version, written by Steve Niles. And I really wish I hadn't as it's tainted my view a little. It really wasn't a necessary version and I would continue to recommend the novel instead. The artwork really wasn't my thing, it was very erm... scratchy (I'm really fussy over artwork in comics) and it had almost as many words in it as the novel. Stay clear of that version.

Anyway, I hope others are glad to have read it. Too many people think of I am Legend as the Will Smith film, and in my opinion this book is far better.