Just Literature discussion

Paulyanna International Rent-boy
This topic is about Paulyanna International Rent-boy
Reviews > Paulyanna

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 488 comments Just finished reading Paulyanna International Rent-boy and here is my review:

Paul Douglas Lovell is simply a natural story teller. There is no other way to explain the flow and beauty of his language. He aims to instill hope in other victims of circumstance, who like him are clinging to the dream of coming into their own.

At first, when I took a peek at the book description, I suspected that it may not be right for me. But once I started reading I realized how mistaken I was. This is so much more than a story about coming out of the school of hard knocks. I love the abundance of lyrical observations. For example, describing the pinstripe mattress in his Paris hotel, he says, “I guessed it had seen more years than I. I could see old horse hair and springs through a mouse-sized hole. It reminded me of home.” Then he describes the solitary desk. “I imagined the ghost of a tormented writer on the edge of insanity, battling with pill and alcohol-induced demons, frantically scribbling down his wild notions, surrounded by crumpled rejects.”

Like Memoirs of a Geisha, Paulyanna is told from the first person point of view, sketching out early childhood, then presenting an account of an unusual life. And like the character in his favorite movie, ‘Pretty Woman’, Paul Douglas Lovell reveals his thoughts in a logical, pragmatic manner, saying, “I viewed being a rent-boy as a viable option to escape an unfair poverty trap.” Quite readily, he admits, “Even before I started school, my reputation as a troublemaker preceded me. I didn’t disappoint.”

The author considered himself “damaged goods” from around the age of seven, and later, at the age of fifteen, he left school prematurely, and became further excluded from mainstream society. By some internal strength he managed to maintain a sense of innocence, by means of separating what he does from who he is. “My inner being was still regarded as highly precious, whereas my exterior body I considered a mere shell.”

I find it amazing that with this heavy baggage he could find his way to explore the unmistakable talent he has in writing. Describing his first attempts to put pen to paper, he says, “I suppressed my gritty experiences and found myself desperate to find something suitably middle-classed and perhaps less predictable.” And later, he says with a humility that endears him to me, “The awareness that my pieces needed rewriting were my only indicator that I must have been progressing.”

For a reader with an open mind—which I hope you are—it is simply a human story, told with wit, crackling with self deprecating humor, and developed in a gentle, utterly engrossing manner. “Non-conformity was my curse, one that I changed into a blessing.”

Five stars.

message 2: by Robert (new) - added it

Robert Dunbar | 5 comments Oh good! I'm so pleased to hear good things about this one -- moving it to the top of my TBR list.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Lovell (powerpuffgeezer) | 5 comments Thank you Uvi for posting this review... Here is a link to my Author Interview should anyone be curious.
https://www.smashwords.com/interview/...

message 4: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 488 comments Paul wrote: "Thank you Uvi for posting this review... Here is a link to my Author Interview should anyone be curious.
https://www.smashwords.com/interview/..."

Totally my pleasure Paul! It's a great interview, too, I'm glad you posted it here!

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Lovell (powerpuffgeezer) | 5 comments I have 1051 views which puts me on page 7 of the Smashwords Interviews. 1st place on page 1 has 33,000 views. :-)

message 6: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 488 comments Paul wrote: "I have 1051 views which puts me on page 7 of the Smashwords Interviews. 1st place on page 1 has 33,000 views. :-)"

Page 7 is great!

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Lovell (powerpuffgeezer) | 5 comments Page 6 is better! ;-)

message 8: by Uvi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 488 comments Yep, can't argue with that...

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Lovell (powerpuffgeezer) | 5 comments Here is a slideshow promo...

http://www.kizoa.com/slideshow-maker/...-

message 10: by Uvi (last edited Oct 15, 2014 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uvi Poznansky | 488 comments Uvi wrote: "Yep, can't argue with that..."

Ohhhh! That's fancy, Paul!

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Lovell (powerpuffgeezer) | 5 comments Uvi wrote: "Uvi wrote: Ohhhh! That's fancy, Paul!"

I'm a fanciful guy. ;-)