Play Book Tag discussion

A Visit from the Goon Squad
This topic is about A Visit from the Goon Squad
Archive: Other Books > A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan - 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1903 comments A Visit From the Goon Squad is a set of loosely tied together stories that connect interrelated characters centered around the music business. Lou, a teenage coke addict, later becomes a friend of bass player, Bennie. Bennie later becomes a music producer and hires Sasha, a kleptomaniac. She sleeps with Alex, who much later ends up handling the comeback of Bennie's high school buddy, Scott. There are numerous more linked sections involving the same main characters as well as numerous peripheral characters. Each section of the book is told from the viewpoint of a different character.

I don't really think I'm the audience the author intended when she wrote this book. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the social commentary parts of the stories and the author's use of a PowerPoint as a storytelling strategy was extremely creative. Some of the relationships were very confusing. Bennie and Sasha were the most interesting of the characters. I think the author did a great job of putting together an extremely creative concept but I kept putting it down. The fact that I kept picking it back up again leads me to believe that in the end, I cared more for the story than I expected.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments It was a strong 4 stars for me. I really enjoyed how she wove the different stories together. It was never predictable. I think it was well deserving of the Pulitzer Prize.