Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Self Promotion Tips > Free E-book Promotions—Are They Right for You?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dale (new)

Dale Day (msgtdaleday) | 7 comments By: Brian A. Klems | March 4, 2016

http://www.writersdigest.com/wp-conte...

Your book is done and on Amazon.com. But, it's not selling. What do you do?

This article has some amazing results and is well worth reading. Can these things work for you?

The naysayers claim that giving away books:

Devalues the author’s work and reputation
Puts books in the hands of too many apathetic readers
Doesn’t offer a material ROI

But authors who have had successes giving away books claim the following outcomes:

Spikes in Amazon author and sales rankings
Increased post-promotion sales for the promoted book as well as other books by the same author
A surge in reviews
Increased traffic on the author’s website/blog
Increased exposure for the book and the author
Expanded word-of-mouth marketing
Opportunity to build on the author’s subscriber/fan list

In this article, I provide you with actual results of four free e-book promotions that I ran this year. You can decide for yourself if it makes sense for you and your book(s).

There are also lots of little interesting links in the article @ http://www.writersdigest.com/online-e...

If you've done this, what were your results?

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) Lead off question: Even though a book is free and is being downloaded and not purchases it's still considered a sale? An author can be considered a best seller if their book is downloaded?

Great article and report. I've talked with Florence Osmund and she seems like a very good author and has several author promotional tips on her site very reputable. Also I think the numbers are great, sure anyone can throw together numbers but I think these results definitely stand out and are a good showing of promotions ran.

-My question is though, is it realistic for everyone?

Now I'm not against people who spend money to promote. If they want to do that that's their right. I noticed that for the first promotion she spent $290 and the book went to #1 and ranked top elsewhere, got a ton of downloads and reviews but how much money did she make after the 30 days?

-I personally feel that while that many downloads, rankings and reviews is absolutely amazing I would also see that I'd be down $290, unless of course the book was selling after the promotion ended and the money was made back. Call me crazy but as great as all that sounds I'd still feel like I spent money and the money wasn't made back...

I'll be realistic though, is it worth spending $290 or however much knowing your results will be:

Spikes in Amazon author and sales rankings
Increased post-promotion sales for the promoted book as well as other books by the same author
A surge in reviews
Increased traffic on the author’s website/blog
Increased exposure for the book and the author
Expanded word-of-mouth marketing
Opportunity to build on the author’s subscriber/fan list

These are all great results and all of this means that money isn't an issue because if your getting all this in results then your making your money back and then some. So perhaps I jumped the gun. I am someone that like's to have all my ducks in a row and when I do something I want a guarantee that I will not only see results but the results could possibly be greater than I actually expected. So when I read this I immediately thought well I'd want to make my money back from all I've spent but if an author can spend and get all of those results or at least a good chunk of them then I suppose making the money back isn't really even a real issue.

As far as the whole boxing of two books I will ask,
-Is this a common practice? I would assume that it's definitely good for a series, so if you have a book series then boxing them and promoting them as a set would make a great deal of sense. Would it be possible to box two separate books together and hope they download and sell off one another? I know a series would likely work tremendously but I'm curious as to what packaging two separate books together would do.

Finally, I will say that these results are definitely inspiring and make me believe that it is possible. I know I myself would consider doing this but again assuming I have all my ducks in a row and I have a few guaranteed results and am promoting in all the right places and am being worked with. That may seem like a lot of demands but I think at the very least is reasonable given there's just as likely a possibility of failure as there is in having success.