The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > [Writing] Baen Fantasy Award

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (last edited May 01, 2014 01:09AM) (new)

Dave | 28 comments "Baen Books is proud to announce the inaugural Baen Fantasy Adventure Award, to be given at this year’s Gen Con to the best piece of original short fiction that captures the spirit and tradition of such great storytellers as Larry Correia, Robert E. Howard, Mercedes Lackey, Elizabeth Moon, Andre Norton, J.R.R. Tolkien, David Weber and Marion Zimmer Bradley."

More details at the link:
http://www.baen.com/baenfantasyaward.asp

message 2: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 0 comments Bizarre lineup. How did they pick the list? David Weber?

message 3: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments Well, Baen is Weber's publisher.

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments This is an affront to the memory of Jim Baen who founded the company with the purpose of publishing books that were interchangeable commodities of equal quality.

No, really, they used to brag about that in the back of their books.

TRAVIS SHELTON

LIKES BAEN BOOKS

BECAUSE THEY TASTE GOOD
Recently we received this letter from Travis Shelton of Dayton, Texas:

I have come to associate Baen Books with Del Monte. Now what is that supposed to mean? Well, if you're in a strange store with a lot of different labels, you pick Del Monte because the product will be consistent and will not disappoint.

Something I have noticed about Baen Books is that the stories are always fast-paced, exciting, action-filled and seem to be published because of content instead of who wrote the book. I now find myself glancing to see who published the book instead of reading the back or intro. If it's a Baen Book it's going to be good and exciting and will capture your spare reading moments.

Another discovery I have recently made is that I don't have any Baen Books in my unread stacks -- and I read four to seven books a week, so that in itself is a meaningful statistic.

The idea that one Baen book can be better than another goes against everything the company stands for. Clearly the prize must either go to an author published by another company, or it must be shared by all Baen authors equally.

message 5: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments That is interesting, Sean. But this appears to be a short story contest for unknowns. Baen authors aren't eligible.

message 6: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2432 comments Gregor wrote: "That is interesting, Sean. But this appears to be a short story contest for unknowns. Baen authors aren't eligible."

Yes, it says 'captures the spirit of', not written by.