Mount TBR 2016 discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak (12 Books) > Fab's Pike's Peak Climb

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments This is my first attempt at climbing my huge TBR mountain and want to make a modest start to get me going :)

message 2: by Fab (last edited Mar 12, 2016 06:46PM) (new)

Fab | 60 comments Already read two - Milky Way Railroad by Kenji Miyazawa and A Room of One's Own by Virginia Wolf

message 3: by Fab (last edited Mar 06, 2016 03:04PM) (new)

message 4: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Welcome to the climbing crew! You're off to a good start.

message 5: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Thank you! :)

message 6: by Fab (last edited Mar 12, 2016 06:43PM) (new)

Fab | 60 comments No. 4 The Book of Human Insects by Ozamu Tezuka
(I hope manga books qualify!)

message 7: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments No. 5: The Grownup by Gillian Flynn

message 8: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Almost half-way there!

message 9: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Thanks for the encouragement Bev! :) I'm finding this very motivating to finally get to read those books that have been sitting on my shelf, some for years!

message 10: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Fab wrote: "Thanks for the encouragement Bev! :) I'm finding this very motivating to finally get to read those books that have been sitting on my shelf, some for years!"

It is definitely a good feeling to shift books off the TBR stacks and either onto the already read & keep shelves or out the door--depending on what we think of them.

message 11: by Fab (last edited Mar 19, 2016 08:06PM) (new)

Fab | 60 comments Bev wrote: "Fab wrote: "Thanks for the encouragement Bev! :) I'm finding this very motivating to finally get to read those books that have been sitting on my shelf, some for years!"

It is definitely a good fe..."

Yes, indeed it is! Although I have a very hard time letting books go even after I've read them. But I am starting to find it easier to let go of the ones I didn't like that much. I still think I need more shelves :)

message 12: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Well....I still cull very few from my owned books (and my husband always wants to take my temperature whenever I do get rid of books--he's sure I must be sick). But I have also gotten better about getting rid of the ones I really don't like much...

message 13: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Bev wrote: "Well....I still cull very few from my owned books (and my husband always wants to take my temperature whenever I do get rid of books--he's sure I must be sick). But I have also gotten better about ..."

I'm the same way too, but that's a good idea, to at least get rid of books I didn't like at all, I mean it's not like I'll ever read them again and can give them to someone that might appreciate them better.
Started to slow down on my climb :( it's just that so many new good books keep crossing my path! However, I'm incredibly happy and lucky to be doing a buddy read of Don Quixote! I don't think I would have made it with that incentive. Already half way through with that one :)

message 14: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments No. 6 The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen

message 15: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Manda, that is an excellent idea! I hadn't thought about that. I'm going to try it, thanks! :)

message 16: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Thank you for the group recommendation! I've just joined :) so many great books to read so little time!
I also saw on your profile that you love yarn and knitting, me too! have a LOT of yarn as well as books. So I guess it's a good combination to knit while listening to an audiobook ;)

message 17: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Manda wrote: "Fab wrote: "Thank you for the group recommendation! I've just joined :) so many great books to read so little time!
I also saw on your profile that you love yarn and knitting, me too! have a LOT of..."

I hadn't heard of ravelry before, it's awesome!! Signed up as Fabsy1 and added you :) by the way your doggies are so adorable!!!!

message 18: by Fab (last edited May 18, 2016 06:33AM) (new)

Fab | 60 comments No.7: El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha, Volume 1 by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

It took me a while but I finally finished it! Thrilled, this is such a great book and had been on my TBR for ages

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Fab wrote: "No.6: El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha, Volume 1 by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

It took me a while but I finally finished it! Thrilled, this is such a great book an..."

Well done! I hopefully will be adding this to my list in a day or so :)

message 20: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Leslie wrote: "Fab wrote: "No.6: El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha, Volume 1 by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

It took me a while but I finally finished it! Thrilled, this is such a g..."

Thanks Leslie! :) and congrats to you too! I seriously couldn't have done it without the buddy read, it was a lot of fun and kept me going. If you organize one for another book let me know!

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Sure but I just tagged along with this one - Theresa did the actual organizing.

message 22: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Well, if you ever do let me know! :)

message 23: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments No. 8: Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Don Quixote was actually no. 7 on the list.

message 24: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments No. 9: Animal Farm by George Orwell

It's embarrassing that such a small novel was on my TBR for so long but oh well finally got to it, a truly great book.

message 25: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments No. 10 Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book even though, or perhaps because it deals with loss, loneliness and a feeling of alienation, but in a very charming and tender way. Had been sitting there for quite a while and this was actually the best time to read it and truly appreciate it :)
I can almost see the top of the mountain!

message 26: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments No. 11 El Llano en llamas by Juan Rulfo

Can't believe it took me this long to finish this masterful collection of short stories.

Just one more!

message 27: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Made it!!! Had forgotten to update. Read Violeta Perú by Luis Arturo Ramos which had been sitting for a long time in my TBR. So happy to have completed this climb! :)

message 28: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Congrats!

message 29: by Fab (new)

Fab | 60 comments Jessika wrote: "Congrats!"
Thanks! :) glad I made it