I Am Pilgrim I Am Pilgrim question

Favourite detective?
Paul Burdis Paul Mar 06, 2016 12:14PM
Although i have been with goodreads for a couple of years i have never posted my reviews or any posts. I read people reviews and an always looking out for new authors. My favourite types of books have to be crime/dectives although the best book i have read i think has to be Terry Hayes I am Pilgrim as a good character is key to my reading. I currently love Helen Grace by JR Arlidge amazzing character (read them all) Paul Finch detective Heck and Chris Carters character Robert Hunter.
Need new detective characters that have substance and are believable any suggestions?

I have a long list for you, so bear with me!

Linwood Barcley
*Ian Rankin-excellent writing
Michael Connelly (I actually can't stand the detective, but the writing is good)
Patrick Lee
Jonathan Kellerman-The Murderer’s Daughter in particular
Robert Galbraith
Michael Koryta
Lynda La Plante-just started series
Thomas Perry-Dead Aim
Jane E. Casey-great series, writing seems to be gaining depth
Kathy Reichs (better in the earlier books but I'm a faithful folloer of the Temperance Brennen series and it is not much like the TV series)
Alan Jacobson-read one, willl read more
Jeff Lindsay-Dexter is a hapless serial killer who kills other bad guys
Greg Iles-some really great writing, stay away from the three latest for now
*John Sandford-Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers excellent characters and good solid writing
Kate Atkinson
*Mo Hayder Jack Caffery series-very graphic but also excellent series
Zoe Sharp-I actually only liked the first in the series, but it might appeal to you )badass female lead)
Lisa gardener
Harlan Coben-stand alones, don't care for his series
Robert Crais-Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series
Michael Robotham
Tana French
*Karen Slaughter-
Perri O’Shaughnessy-legal mysteries
Brian Freeman (Jonathan Stride series)
*Sue Grafton-Kinsey Milhone, PI series
Carl Hiaasen
*Kate Wilhelm (Barbara Holloway series) more legal mysteries
Stephen White-Alan Gregory series (psychologist assists police)
Marisha Pessl Night Film

M 25x33
Paul Burdis Wow there is a couple of years reading for me there. Thankyou. I also like up and coming new authors Mason cross is a great new writer
Mar 11, 2016 11:09AM

The Bad Canadian.

Hi Paul, I have no experience with the authors you've mentioned in your post, but if you're looking for a detective with substance, why not try Ian Rankin? His detective inspector Rebus is quite a character.

And if you're into a different type detective, the Scandinavian writers are terrific, imho. Henning Mankel, Jo Nesbo and Jussi Adler Olsen are three that come to mind.

M 25x33
Paul Burdis Tried jo Nesbo and didnt get very far as couldnt relate to the book. I will give it another try. Reading chris carter the death sculpture superb book ...more
Mar 11, 2016 11:12AM · flag

You guys gotta read 'Robbers' by Christopher Cook. Rule Hooks is a badass U.S. Marshall on the tail of a couple of bad 'uns. Give it a whirl :)