Writers of Color Book Club discussion

Author Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Are you reading fantasy or sci-fi in this group? I want to read some Saladin Ahmed and WoC Zetta Elliot, N. K. Jemisin, Nisi Shawl. Or some postmodern sci-fi from India.

Elli (The Bibliophile) (TheBibliophileBooks) | 53 comments I read A Small Place by Jamaica Kincaid this month! It's a memoir/discussion about the impacts of colonialism in Antigua and I found it really good!

Another book I liked that I read recently is Second Class Citizen by Buchi Emecheta. It's about a Nigerian woman who moves to London in the 1970s and she deals with the problems she faces as an African woman.

The Aya series by Marguerite Abouet takes place in the Ivory Coast and it's a really fun series about everyday things!

Those are some books I've read recently and really enjoyed!

Elli (The Bibliophile) (TheBibliophileBooks) | 53 comments I really want to read something by Jesmyn Ward soon. I'm keeping a lookout for her books in the bookstores I go to!

Elli (The Bibliophile) (TheBibliophileBooks) | 53 comments Stephen wrote:

Salvage the Bones sounds aMAzing. Maybe that can..."

That would be great!! By the way, should I post about this on twitter or would you rather personally inviting people?

theolivelibrary (liviebutton) Since I've read quite a few books set in East Asia, here are a few of my favorites:

Jung Chang
Anchee Min
Adeline Yen Mah
Xinran Xue

message 6: by Ikebukuro (new)

Ikebukuro I'am reading "We need new names" by NoViolet Bulawayo and I really like it so far.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (EffusionsofWit) | 6 comments I remember seeing you guys talking a bit about Chicano/Chicana writers on twitter, and I have been reading some of that lately. In particular, I like Gloria Anzaldua, but I'm not sure how much of her work is easily accessible these days. That being said, if you ever get the chance, you should definitely read her work! I've also been reading Sandra Cisneros--she's amazing--but I think she's pretty well known. She has a novel, Caramelo, that I am hoping to read at some point.

Will be thinking of other suggestions :)

message 8: by Stéphanie (new)

Stéphanie (thesoftestbunny) Is Helen Oyeyemi too well known?

message 9: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (averagejosephine) | 11 comments Liv wrote: "Since I've read quite a few books set in East Asia, here are a few of my favorites:

Jung Chang
Anchee Min
Adeline Yen Mah
Xinran Xue"

Adeline Yen Mah! I read Chinese Cinderella. Totally heart-breaking.

message 10: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (ifyougaveagirlabook) Aimee wrote: "Liv wrote: "Since I've read quite a few books set in East Asia, here are a few of my favorites:

Jung Chang
Anchee Min
Adeline Yen Mah
Xinran Xue"

Adeline Yen Mah! I read Chinese Cinderella. Total..."

Ohh that has been on my TBR for a couple of years now!

message 11: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (averagejosephine) | 11 comments Well, I've read quite a few novels written by Latin and Latin-American authors. I'm fond of Cristina Henriquez' work (she has a novel coming out this summer). I've also enjoyed Jimmy Santiago Baca (A Glass of Water), Francisco Jimenez (The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child), and Victor Villasenor (Rain of Gold). I love Sandra Cisneros but she's pretty well-known.

message 12: by Adira (new)

Adira (IntrovertInterrupted) | 388 comments Mod
Aimee & Sylvia, I just did a video that included Adeline Yen Ma and her book Chinese Cinderella on my BookTube channel.

I would like to read more Hispanic and Asian authors as well. Has anyone ever read Silence by Shusako endorse or Warrior Woman by Maxine Hong Kingston?

I'd also like to read Quicksand by Nella Larson.

P.s. Ellie, Salvage the bones is at books A Million in the bargain section

Elli (The Bibliophile) (TheBibliophileBooks) | 53 comments Adira wrote: "Aimee & Sylvia, I just did a video that included Adeline Yen Ma and her book Chinese Cinderella on my BookTube channel.

I would like to read more Hispanic and Asian authors as well. Has anyone e..."

I wish we had books a million in Canada :(

message 14: by Adira (new)

Awww Elli have you tried thriftbooks.com they have cheap books with no shipping cost

Steve his writing is amazing. I read his book in high school

message 15: by Adira (new)

I'm sorry I keep calling you the wrong name. I'll get it right now Stephen.

message 16: by Adira (new)

I'll have to check out Kiko's Wish

message 17: by Adira (new)

Sorry typo

Elli (The Bibliophile) (TheBibliophileBooks) | 53 comments Adira wrote: "Awww Elli have you tried thriftbooks.com they have cheap books with no shipping cost

Steve his writing is amazing. I read his book in high school"

I didn't know they didn't charge shipping! Cool!

message 19: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (ifyougaveagirlabook) Adira wrote: "Aimee & Sylvia, I just did a video that included Adeline Yen Ma and her book Chinese Cinderella on my BookTube channel.

I would like to read more Hispanic and Asian authors as well. Has anyone e..."

I will check it out!

message 20: by Adira (new)

Thanks Sylvia!

Elli they're my go to place for cheap bargain books. Their books usually are in good quality and the company will send you a new book or refund you money if you're not happy with your purchase.

message 21: by Vivian (new)

Vivian  Garzon (goodreadscomviviangarzon) May I suggest reading Brazilian author, Paulo Coelho. His writing is very beautiful and I've been meaning to read more books by him. So far I've only read The Alchemist and 11 Minutes but both were fantastic.

I also agree with some people here of reading more Hispanic authors! There is not enough attention on them.

P.S. I think this is a great group! It's the first one I have joined here on goodreads :)

message 22: by Adira (new)

Welcome Vivian! I'm glad you decided to join our group.

message 23: by Louize (new)

Louize | 3 comments @ Vivian Two AWESOME Hispanic authors I recommend are Isabel Allende (The House of the Spirits, The Infinite Plan) and Junot Diaz (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.) Enjoy! :)

message 24: by Vivian (new)

Vivian  Garzon (goodreadscomviviangarzon) @ Louize

Thanks for the suggestions I would def check them out especially since one of them is in this poll for June selection. Very cool!

message 25: by Bee (new)

Bee (saucylark) | 3 comments Laura Esquivel is a great latina author, and I love love love Octavia Butler and Nnedi Okorafor. The latter are both sci-fi/fantasy. :3

message 26: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (ifyougaveagirlabook) Jacqueline Woodson has some very nice short novels.

message 27: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia I'd love the legendary Ghanaian writer Ama Ata Aidoo, and even some Walter Mosley!

message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Kinsey (Debbiekinsey) | 7 comments I'd like to recommend Roxane Gay (even though her books aren't out yet). She writes (a lot) of literary and cultural criticism essay type stuff around the web and is my current favourite essayist.
Her first (fiction) novel 'An Untamed State' is out in the next few weeks, and a non-fiction essay collection called 'Bad Feminist' is out in August this year.

message 29: by Tracey (new)

Tracey S (trendytracey1) | 3 comments Chris Abani
Farahad Zama
Thrity Umrigar

I second the mention of Roxane Gay- I've only read one of her short stories, but it was so beautiful I want to read everything she's written!

message 30: by Tracey (new)

Tracey S (trendytracey1) | 3 comments And

Marisa de los Santos
Kobe Abe
Sharon Maas

message 31: by Adira (new)

Lynecia! Gasp! you. Know.....Aidoo's work!?! I love her Changes A Love story and even talked about the book in my Epigraph video on my channel! I got introduced to her last semester and fell in love with her writing style.

message 32: by Lynecia (last edited May 09, 2014 05:36PM) (new)

Lynecia Adira wrote: "Lynecia! Gasp! you. Know.....Aidoo's work!?! I love her Changes A Love story and even talked about the book in my Epigraph video on my channel! I got introduced to her last semester and fell in lo..."

Yes! I don't think many folks outside of universities know her here in the US. She was at Brown U for a while and I believe she's retired now - I was happy to find her work! I plan to read as much of her work as I can find this year. BTW, I'll go check out your epigraph video. I'm a new subscriber and love your vids thus far!

message 33: by Adira (new)

Lynecia wrote: "Adira wrote: "Lynecia! Gasp! you. Know.....Aidoo's work!?! I love her Changes A Love story and even talked about the book in my Epigraph video on my channel! I got introduced to her last semester ..."

Thanks Lynecia! I appreciate that!

I have one book left by her entitled, Our Sister Killjoy. It's a short read, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

message 34: by Adira (new)

Debbie wrote: "I'd like to recommend Roxane Gay (even though her books aren't out yet). She writes (a lot) of literary and cultural criticism essay type stuff around the web and is my current favourite essayist.
..."

I'm looking forward to purchasing her books and reading her work. I think the premise of An Untamed State sounds soooo good. I'd definitely like to get my hands on a copy soon.

message 35: by Kamil (new)

Kamil (coveredinskin) Mo Yan, James Baldwin, Richard Wright, Jamaica Kincaid and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, are the ones I haven't read yet but planning to.

message 36: by Myriam (new)

Myriam (ofbooksnmore) | 4 comments Roberto Bolano
Roberto Bolano
&
Roberto Bolano

Mo Yan
Tan Twan Eng
Mahmoud Dowlatabadi
Chi Li
Gao Xingjiang
Lao She

message 37: by Xian Xian (new)

Xian Xian (XianXian) Roberto Bolano, Ma Jian, Mo Yan, Xiaolu Guo, Zadie Smith,Yukio Mishima, Mohsin Hamid, Ha Jin, Patrick Rosal, Osamu Dazai. I can't think of anymore, I need to read more authors who are Latino and African American.

message 38: by Erica (new)

Erica (EricaBookaholicButterfly) | 1 comments louise erdrich brilliant native american author who has written ton of books I only read Tracks but I want to read her other stuff

message 39: by Liane (new)

Liane Spicer (lianespicer) | 4 comments Thanks for the invitation to join the group! Lots of good suggestions here.
I second The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho.
Kindred by Octavia Butler
Rosa Guy's trilogy that begins with The Friends. She was one of the first writers to deal with adult themes in YA fiction.

message 40: by Liane (new)

Liane Spicer (lianespicer) | 4 comments Brick Road by Monica Ali.

message 41: by Adira (new)

Liane wrote: "Brick Road by Monica Ali."

I'm going to have to checkout Rose Guy's books. I've never heard of her before.

message 42: by Adira (new)

Liane wrote: "Brick Road by Monica Ali."

I'm going to have to checkout Rose Guy's books. I've never heard of her before.

message 43: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia Hello all!
I just wanted to share this NY Times Article entitled "New Wave of African Writers With an Internationalist Bent" (though the line about envy between Black American and African writers gets an extreme side eye) its a great place to read about African Writers and their work who you may not have heard of.
Read it here.

message 44: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (ifyougaveagirlabook) Banana Yoshimoto.

message 45: by Adira (new)

Sylvia wrote: "Banana Yoshimoto."

I recently bought a copy of this after hearing about it in Anna & The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.

Lynecia wrote: "Hello all!
I just wanted to share this NY Times Article entitled "New Wave of African Writers With an Internationalist Bent" (though the line about envy between Black American and African writers g..."

Thanks Lynecia! I'll be sure to read it!

message 46: by Adira (new)

I just wanted to share this NY Times Article entitled "New Wave of African Writers With an Internationalist Bent" (though the line about envy between Black American and African writers g..."

Have you ever checked out Helen Okeyi's blog? She post a great variety of reviews on African authors.

message 47: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (ifyougaveagirlabook) Adira wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Banana Yoshimoto."

I recently bought a copy of this after hearing about it in Anna & The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.

I just wanted to share this NY..."

I had no idea it was in Anna & The French Kiss! I got it from someone on Tumblr recommending her to me.

message 48: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia Hey Adira, yes I have!

message 49: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia Two great articles entitled "50 Books by African Women Everyone Should Read"
Part 1
http://www.gatewayforafrica.org/blog/...
Part 2
http://bookshybooks.blogspot.com/2014...

message 50: by Adira (new)

Thanks for the articles Lynecia! I'm totally adding some new books to my TBR!

« previous 1