Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > HF books that have a lot of domestic details

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sou (new)

Sou (misouintree) | 13 comments I recently became very interested in reading about how people went about housekeeping and their domestic day-to-day lives. One example that I read is Longbourn by Jo Baker. It helps that the main character is a maid. :) Any other recommendations would be appreciated!

message 2: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) What period are you interested in? Do you want serious reference books - which what I have and use - or do you want novels?

message 3: by Sou (new)

Sou (misouintree) | 13 comments Any period except for contemporary, I like reading about what people used to do. :) Historical fiction is preferred. Thank you.

message 4: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 23 comments I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but maybe you could do a search for 'historical fiction about servants'. Any historical fiction with a servant as the main character will probably go into detail about the housekeeping. Good luck!

message 5: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 27 comments perhaps you'll find some other books like Longbourn that you like on the upstairs-downstairs genre shelf

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt books are sprinkled with daily life details, like how Charlotte does laundry and what they eat on a tight budget - Victorian London.

I believe there are "cozy" stories that are focused on a lot of home details, but I don't know any offhand

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 468 comments Well, if you want historical fiction, I could recommend The Handfasted Wife by Carol McGrath by Carol McClure. It is the story of the wife of the last Anglo-Saxon king of England, Harold Godwinson. The author did some amazing research into the period, plus it was a good story. If you want to learn what English life was like back then, you could not find a better or more enjoyable resource.

message 8: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenbranham) | 63 comments Outlander series has a lot of references to every day life - it is set in the 1700's.

message 9: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 468 comments Maureen wrote: "Outlander series has a lot of references to every day life - it is set in the 1700's."

Yes, Outlander too. Most (not all) historical fiction authors make a huge effort to research the daily life in the era they are writing about. In fact, I think there is a series of books "Daily Life in....", at least I have one of them.

Depending on the era you are interested in, I think we could come up with several recommendations.

message 10: by Martine (new)

Martine Bailey (martineanne) | 32 comments If you are interested in how people actually cooked and the actual recipes they used in the 18th century may I shamelessly plug my novel An Appetite for Violets It is the tale of a young under-cook who gets involved in a mysterious journey from a country house in England to a remote villa in Italy. The food is a learning experience for her, as well as the fashion, landscapes and of course the relations with her mistress and fellow travellers.
To write it I did re-enactment and studied cookery with a TV food historian. It is out now in Germany, 22 May in the UK and Commonwealth but unfortunately not until 13 Jan 2015 in the US.

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Anton | 219 comments Eileen wrote: " In fact, I think there is a series of books 'Daily Life in....', at least I have one of them. .."

There are a great many in this series. Two I've used in my research are Daily Life in Medieval Times and Daily Life in Ancient Rome