Our Shared Shelf discussion

Chat and Meet for "Country Here" > Feminism in Hungary

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya Szabó | 2 comments A discourse about it is really needed (it's what I missed after we forgot what Ákos said).

message 2: by Lara (new)

Lara (lara_flame) | 2 comments Wow, yeah.
I mean, this silence is really telling, isn't it?
Of course it exists, it's just not a big deal. Like there's everything fine and we don't need such things anymore. Sure. Let's say goodbye to social development! *please imagine my sarcastic eyeroll here*
In paper we have relative equality - be it gender, religion, political viewpoints (not so much). Unfortunately sexual orientation is not included. I'm not particularly fond of medieval-ages-like bigotry. Anyway, those rules still sounds kinda good and to be honest I would be ecstatic if we wouldn't need feminism anymore - that would mean a society above this ridiculous debate about "women being less just because".
But reality is always another thing entirely. While there are still speeches in our Parliament about how women should " ONLY stay home, be breeding material, wash clothes, cook, raise children and generally just shut up" (that last part was implied, not that that's reassuring) we have room to improve. I'm being very mild here. And there was that lovely politician who used to (I hope I can use past tense) beat up her wife regularly. The press somehow got wind of it (bruises, guys, purple face and broken bones), and for months there were no proper reactions from his party. Then the man officially professed that her wife "fell over a BLIND DOG". (Since that one TV channel has a satirical political show named after the case :D ). I suppose we could be thankful that he wasn't the bightest crayon in the box, so to say. (That's sad in itself because he was someone with a position of power and influence to our everyday lives.) His party finally distanced themselves from the man, but I don't remember any further penalties. Yay. And we are a democratic country.
We thankfully have a couple organisations - NANE, for example which roughly translates to 'Women for women Association'. And that name's telling too. Not enough to stop rape and abuse per se. (I'd like to mention that violence is not only committed against women and I know that. Just to be clear. It's not "better" or any less relevant when the victim is a man and/or the assailant is a woman!) I don't think that there's any secret weapon that could eliminate human stupidity and cruelty. Unfortunately.
These little everyday signs indicating to a chauvinist culture are there too. I remember vividly when I was called a "whore" the first time. I was thirteen and I didn't want to tell my name to a total stranger guy at least six years older and sixty kilogramms heavier than me. Go figure.
So. I hope I didn't paint a too gruesome picture because the situation here is not devastating. There are countries with far bigger issues regarding feminism (among other things). It's just irrational and sad because I think we could be a great nation with endless possibilities. We can do better!

message 3: by Annabel (new)

Annabel | 10 comments I am half Hungarian, half Scottish. Going to see my family this Summer:D I have to admit because I only spend holidays with family in Hungary I don't really know much about how things are in Hungary in terms of feminism. I would love to know more. Here in Scotland we have very good rights but of course there are still a lot of issues that are seen as not important in today's society. We have all female leaders in our main Scottish political parties which is very inspiring for me. I have to say I was disappointed that Hungary didn't legalise gay marriage. I think that should be a European wide law that it is legal and everyone has the same rights.