Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Series Renamed, Books reprinted

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wellington (new)

Wellington (wfdealmeida) | 431 comments Hi everyone

I took a look on the librarian manual and I tried searching for something similar, but I couldn't find anything relevant to this case

Anyway, how should we proceed when a series is renamed?

e.g. An author published books 1, 2, 3 and named the series AAA
Then, he decides to publish books 4, 5 and change the series name to BBB
He also decides to republish books 1 and 2 under the new name for this series

How should we edit this info? Should we use both series name on the title field for all editions?
e.g Book 1 (AAA, #1) (BBB, #1)

What about the series page? Which name should we use? Both?

Thanks in advance

message 2: by Michael (last edited Mar 06, 2016 08:59AM) (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments I might be wrong but the series page should reflect the new name BBB while the books 4 and 5 will have (BBB, #4) and (BBB, #5) in their titles respectively. Editions of books 1 and 2 which were published under old series title should continue to have (AAA, #1) and (AAA, #2) in their titles but the new editions of these books will have (BBB, #1) and (BBB, #2) in the titles.

You can update the description of series page that it was formerly/previously published as AAA.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "the series page should reflect the new name BBB while the books 4 and 5 will have (BBB, #4) and (BBB, #5) in their titles respectively. Editions of books 1 and 2 which were published under old series title should continue to have (AAA, #1) and (AAA, #2) in their titles but the new editions of these books will have (BBB, #1) and (BBB, #2) in the titles.

You can update the description of series page that it was formerly/previously published as AAA."

Exactly right.

message 4: by Wellington (new)

Wellington (wfdealmeida) | 431 comments Got it, thanks for clarifying!