The Martian The Martian discussion

Jesus, we're gonna end up in Oz

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Musk (last edited Mar 06, 2016 04:08AM) (new) - added it

Musk Thistle The above line is exclaimed by Mark Watney when Lewis and Crew come across a storm. Why is the above line funny? I am really sorry but I didn't understand? Please can somebody tell me? Also 'Watney simply slept at night on Mars, while Mindy had to drift forty minutes forward every day, taping aluminum foil to her windows to get any sleep at all.' What does ' Mindy had to drift forty minutes forward ' mean? I know am asking a lot of Q's. I'm a little slow on the uptake

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The Oz line - reference to the Wizard of Oz as Dorothy ends up in Oz after her house is caught up in a tornado.

Forty minutes forward - Mindy is on Earth and Mark is on Mars. Days on Mars are about 40 mins longer than on Earth. Since Mark sleeps when it is night on Mars and Mindy is trying to match her schedule to his she has to keep moving the time her shift starts by 40 mins each day ("drift forward forty minutes"). After awhile it means she is trying to sleep during the day and work at night hence "taping aluminum foil to her windows to get any sleep at all".

Cawkins Chuck Musk wrote: "The above line is exclaimed by Mark Watney when Lewis and Crew come across a storm. Why is the above line funny? I am really sorry but I didn't understand? Please can somebody tell me? Also 'Watney..."

End up in Oz is a reference to a popular American children story by L. Frank Baum the"Wizard of Oz" in which a young girl is lifted along with her house by a Cyclone and taken to a alternate world called Oz. He her house drops on a wicked witch making her a hero. It was made into a movie in 1939 (one of the first color movies ever made) and is a common a knowledge story in the United State.

message 4: by Musk (new) - added it

Musk Thistle Pigletto wrote: "The Oz line - reference to the Wizard of Oz as Dorothy ends up in Oz after her house is caught up in a tornado.

Forty minutes forward - Mindy is on Earth and Mark is on Mars. Days on Mars are abou..."

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH

message 5: by Musk (new) - added it

Musk Thistle Cawkins wrote: "Musk wrote: "The above line is exclaimed by Mark Watney when Lewis and Crew come across a storm. Why is the above line funny? I am really sorry but I didn't understand? Please can somebody tell me?..."

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH