What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. A no later than 1996/7, sci fi, young boy lives in underground society, meets a girl from surface they make wings from feathers and wax [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Money | 1 comments YA sci fi fiction, I read it in about 1996 but it could be much older. Possibly Australian.

Teen boy lives in an underground society, some sort of apocalypse occurred prior which left the surface scorching hot. The society are almost blind from living underground, they have a council and wear robes like monks. I think they lived a secular life based on religious principles?

A teen girl lives above ground in the forest/bush with her Dad and dog. She meets the boy who sometimes goes to the surface even though he is pretty blinded by the light and his pale skin burns very easily.

The dog plays with the boy and scares him. The girl and boy form a friendship and eventually construct wings to fly with like Icarus out of wax and feathers.

message 2: by Cupcakedoll (new)

Cupcakedoll | 300 comments The Lake at the End of the World by Caroline MacDonald

This book immediately jumped to mind, but I haven't read it in a bunch of years so I may be wrong!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Money | 1 comments Woah! You are amazing, that's it, Cupcakedoll! It all came flooding back when I saw the cover and also the names Diana and Hector.

Thank you so much. Xx