Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

I'll Give You the Sun
This topic is about I'll Give You the Sun
Archives > I'll Give You The Sun, by Jandy Nelson

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I just finished this book as my "reader's choice" option. Ironically, I used a prompt from the rejects list to make it more of a challenge for myself than just freely choosing, and ended up picking the book that I probably would have chosen anyway.

It took me nearly a third, probably even closer to a half, of the book to really get into it, but once it did, it really hit hard. The book is about twin siblings who have become distanced from each other over the years. Each tells the story from a different point in time, three years apart. It is definitely not your typical YA. The chapters are massive, and the writing style is quite unique. Although it's a bit slow to get going, it is definitely worth it in the end.

message 2: by Brandy (last edited Mar 11, 2016 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 93 comments I read this last year and while I cant' say it took me that long to get into it, it really does take some time to set the scene.

I was blown away by how much I loved it by the end.

So much so that I picked up her previous book for my book by an author you discovered last year. That book I enjoyed but probably not as much as I'll Give You The Sun. And I felt that book was a slower build for me.

Marina H | 1315 comments I jus finished this one for week 31. A work of young adult fiction. It's not my typical book, but I ended up enjoying it.
It also took me a little while to get into the book, but I think it was because of the writing. Once I got used to especially listening to Noah, it really had my attention. And I think the writing is beautiful. I wish I had wrote down some of the quotes from the book.

message 4: by Peter (last edited Nov 07, 2016 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Peter | 0 comments I just started this one for week 36, and identity book. So far, I can't say I'm that impressed. I've like Jude's parts a lot more than Noah's. Seriously.... I'm less than a quarter of the way through and I can't stand his (view spoiler). I'm also having a really hard time with Noah's chapters and differentiating between when he is describing real events and metaphorical events taking place in his head only.... It might be because I'm listening to it on audio during my commutes to and from work, but I'm finding it very difficult to keep actual events straight. So far it's just an overly angsty teen drama.

Marina H | 1315 comments I also prefered Jude's chapters, when I read the book. It took a while getting used to Noah and the way his chapters were written, so I can imagine it's a difficult book listening to.

I was surprised how much I actually ended up liking the book. When I saw it was recommended for fans of John Green, I was convinced I wouldn't like it, but the story somehow lured me in.
I'm pretty sure my husband also would use the words teenage angst to describe this book, and he would hate it. It's a genre that really divides the opinions, and my guess is that most people either hate or love a book like this.

Peter | 0 comments It's definitely a book outside my comfort zone and not something I would have picked up outside this challenge. I'm not into romances or teen drama in a contemporary or literary sense. Put it inside something else like Harry Potter or an end of the world scenario and I'm interested. But in those cases the drama is just part of the story, not the whole story. I'll finish this one either way. It's getting a little more interesting as it goes on so hopefully it just takes a me a while to get into it like everyone else.

Peter | 0 comments Well.... I just finished this and I can't say I was all that impressed. The writing really bothered me. I found it needlessly repetitive and overly superfluous. I mean, every other sentence was a ridiculous, over the top metaphor. Literally every other sentence. Maybe more.

The characters often describe events that only occur in their head in the middle of describing what is actually happening and I often found it difficult to distinguish between reality and the characters minds. And soooo much angst. I'm really not a fan of romances to start with because of the drama, and this book is just dripping with drama for the sake of drama. Everything is either the worst or the best to every character.

I found it fairly predictable and by about halfway through had figured out all of the big revelations....after that it was just painful reading to the end to find out if I was right.

I dont know... maybe I'm heartless? Everyone here and clearly a lot of other people loved it according to the rating. I just thought it was poorly written, full of boring characters, cliches and waaayyy too many metaphors.

Peter | 0 comments All that said, I am glad I read the book. The point of the challenge is to broaden our horizons and read some books outside our comfort zone, so although I didn't like the book, I like that I read it. I never would have considered it outside this challenge.

Mom2triplets04 | 118 comments Choose this for week 3 a book I wanted to read in 2016 but never got around to it. I am also doing the discovery challenge at for the love of a book goodreads group and this book was chosen for my week 2 there. I started reading it but it was a bit slow and I was falling behind so I switched to audio. I really enjoyed the audio more. I do feel this book is for mature audiences and there is a lot of sexual content in this book. Along with disturbing adult/teen sexual tension. Also the boy is struggling with whether he is straight or gay. Gave this book 4 stars

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I read this for my 2017 Topic Discard Challenge, a book with a pronoun in the title. Like many above me, I enjoyed Jude's sections more than Noah's. Noah just seemed like a selfish jerk. He reminded me too much of the emo kids I used to hang out with in high school *rolls eyes*. That aside, I thought Jude and Noah were a good balance to each other; the ying and yang of twin-hood. The last half of the book is what made me fall in love with the whole thing. The plot is twisted and sad, and that's what made it great for me. I loved the ending, in its full funkyness.

4/5

message 11: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7011 comments Mod
I just finished my second read of this, and I'll admit that I LOVED the over-the-top metaphors haha. I thought the way that she portrayed Noah's viewpoint was really unique... and now, looking back, I think he was probably on the autism spectrum?

Either way, I loved the character growth throughout the book, and I thought it was so unique in how it had Noah at 13 and Jude at 16... really different type of dual timeline structure that played into the plot well.