The Young Adult Historical Fiction Society discussion

Uprising
This topic is about Uprising
2016 Group Reads > Uprising - March Group Read

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cristal (Professional Book Procrastinator) | 91 comments Mod
What do you think of this month's read?

QNPoohBear | 120 comments I loved this book so much! It hit home because my beloved grandmother was an Italian immigrant born in 1911. I really felt for Bella and had a better understanding of what life was like for my dad's family both in Italy and America. I identified with Yetta's fiery spirit and Jane's independence, though I found Jane's story improbable. I didn't know the owners of the factory were Jewish immigrants themselves and that really shocked me how careless they were.

I liked how the story kept you guessing as to which one was the survivor. "Bella and Yetta and Jane!" Needless to say I cried a lot by the end of this book. Read with a box of tissues! (view spoiler)

This story made me more aware of where I shop. Right after I read this book, a factory in Bangladesh collapsed. The factory sounded similar to the 1910s sweatshops like the Triangle. I won't patronize big box stores that run sweatshops in southeast Asia but unfortunately it's nearly impossible to buy anything that isn't made in SE Asia.

There are several other books about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire. I liked this one the best because it dealt with some of the other big issues of the day like women's rights and labor rights.

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Johnson | 11 comments Looking forward to reading it; it's unfamiliar to me.

message 4: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 64 comments I have been out of touch the last couple of months. Feeling buried. I really do want to read this book so I am hoping to get your insights. Sorry I missed out this month.

QNPoohBear | 120 comments Today, 3/24, is the anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire.

Luci (luciskydyme) I thought this was a brilliant example of good historical fiction. It laid out the issues of the time in very human terms, and made the labor movement very understandable. Definitely would recommend it and I will read more by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

Margaret | 2 comments I really liked it. Well written & good characters. I'll check out more of her books down the road.

QNPoohBear | 120 comments What did you think of the character who survived? I was very surprised because I spent the whole book devastated because I assumed my favorite character was going to die. I'm not sure that's historically accurate or the epilogue is plausible but I was too emotionally gutted to really care at that point.