Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Heart of Stone (The Stone Series #1)
This topic is about Heart of Stone
Book Issues > Unable to add Metadata and Edit Book info

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dakota (last edited Mar 05, 2016 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dakota Willink | 11 comments I'm having a few issues...

As it stands right now, there is no genre for my book listed.

Also, can someone please tell me how to add metadata to my book? It says "No Metadata Answers Yet" under the metadata link. I tried to find a way to do it by writing a review, but there was nothing there either.

I am unable to add characters, genres, etc...I get bounced back to the Goodreads homepage when I try to click "edit characters".

I also need to combine my books - currently, there are 2 kindle versions and 2 paperback versions. There should be only one of each, as this is the first edition of the book. This can be verified through Amazon (ASIN and paperback ISBN-10/ISBN-13 have never changed). This may have been an error on my part when I added the book initially and first gained author status...I'm not sure though. Sorry - I'm new to this!

Please advise. Thanks.

Dakota Willink | 11 comments If nobody here is able to fix the above stated issues, can someone at least point me in the right direction? Please and thanks :)

message 3: by Arenda (last edited Mar 07, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Arenda | 19921 comments Sorry you didn't get an answer yet.

As it stands right now, there is no genre for my book listed.
On Goodreads, genres are crowdsourced by the shelves that people put the book on.

I am unable to add characters,
This can only be done by librarians. If you list the characters you would like to be added (in a new message in this thread) a librarian can add them for you.

I don't know about metadata.

Looking into the editions. See next message.

message 4: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 19921 comments There are two Kindle editions, with a different cover.
There are two paperback editions, with a different cover.
It looks like you had a new cover after the book was published.

Goodreads policy is to keep all published covers on the site, as users want to shelve the cover of the copy they have.
Instead, we add an alternate-cover edition.
See http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...
and http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85....

As the author, you have the ability to change which edition of the book is the default, which will come up in searches by title and show on their author profile.
How to set the default edition.

Dakota Willink | 11 comments Thank you for answering!

I'll go ahead and make a new message requesting the characters to be added.

As for metadata, it was to my understanding that metadata is what prompts the goodreads search engines to "recommend" my book. I also thought that metadata would show up once people started placing it in shelves (which they have).

Thanks again for your help :)