Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Going perma-free everywhere

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Check kdp's royalty selection page. It should list all of them.

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Oh, I get you. Assuming you made it through the grinder, it went to Ibooks, B&N, and the other places listed on their expanded distribution.
May I suggest you post it to Wattpad as well, if you plan on it being a free book.

message 3: by Owen (last edited Mar 05, 2016 10:24PM) (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Libby wrote: "Hi guys

I'm in the process of going perma-free for the first book in a series. I was happy when Amazon price-matched... until I realised that it was only in the U.S. Does anyone have an easy list ..."

Unless there has been a recent change in Amazon's policies that I'm unaware of, keep in mind that they are under no obligation to price-match. They may drop the price to free in some markets but not others, and they may rescind the price-match at any time.

This may be why they price matched only on Amazon.com. Since Smashwords distributes to outlets (B&N, Apple etc), I suspect you'd have to check each outlet. For instance, B&N was in the UK, but is abandoning that market. They may be in Canada, but not Europe or Asia.

As for Apple, there's a table here (but it's Wikipedia -- caveats apply): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_...

message 4: by Thomas (last edited May 27, 2016 06:42AM) (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments @Libby, did you have any success in a method for getting them to price match to other territories? I've found myself in the same boat as you and I'm searching for answers.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 780 comments I just sort of dipped into the world of permafree. I haven't made any of my books as such but I've done research on it, read an article on it and discussed with and came across people who use it. I'm tempted just got to get a good book made and get the ball rolling.

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments I'm doing a run-around with Amazon trying to get them to price match international. They're being extremely difficult. If I find a solution, I'll post it here so everyone can benefit.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 780 comments Someone In a group I'm a part of had the same issue Thomas. Getting it price matched for U.S is no problem but other counties aren't as easy. I'll check to see if there's a way to do this too.

message 8: by Ken (last edited May 31, 2016 06:36AM) (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments Each country has its own favorite site that it price-matches. For example, India is quick to match Google Play.

However, of late, Amazon has not been as responsive to price-matching permafree. A few authors on another forum mentioned that they were simply told they were in violation of the TOS and it was left at that.

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments Sounds good. I just got shot down a third time, even providing Kobo links to the foreign versions of the webpage with my perma-free. I think they're exercising their "discretion over our retail prices" not for lack of evidence that it's free elsewhere, but because they can.

I haven't given up hope yet. I'm trying another approach.

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo Jenner (jingo40) | 1 comments I had a similar issue but I think I got a couple of friends in the uk to email the smashwords link and then finally Amazon price matched in the UK too.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Hebler (mhebler) | 6 comments Recently, I've made two short stories permafree on Amazon by following these instructions: http://bbebooksthailand.com/blog/make...

If you would like to make them permafree on Amazon UK or CA, download and install a VPN server to your computer (like CyberGhost) that allows you to surf book websites of foreign countries. You'll require that proof of your ebooks being sold free on other UK and CA websites just as you would for the US. However, this process is fairly technical. Not recommended for basic computer users, but it does work. Check it out:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Adam-Wa...
https://www.amazon.ca/Rattlesnake-sho...

If your computer skills are basic but have a friend or family member is who fairly technical with computers, have them help you. Good luck!